Organic Pest Repellents

Growing problems

Moderators: chilliman64, Ben123, Kathy, Wilf

chilliman64

Organic Pest Repellents

Post by chilliman64 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:41 am

Reproduced with thanks!
=====================

"You can have a garden full of healthy plants and vegetables, wildlife and birds – chemical free. "

LIFE AS IT SHOULD BE

In the garden is a micro ecosystem that creates its own environment without the use of modern chemicals. It is a challenge but it can work with the use of a few old home recipes, and the reward is fantastic. You can have a garden full of healthy plants and vegetables, wildlife and birds – chemical free. Organic gardening is safe and proven. The frogs will look after the slugs and the snails and clean up at night. The ladybirds will control the aphids, the blue tongue lizards and the water dragons will eat the snails and spiders, the currawongs and magpies will eat the lawn grubs, and the secret is to stop using chemical sprays. It may take a full season but in time you will be rewarded and the wildlife will return. Always make sure to keep sprays and powders away from pets and children. Even home made sprays should only be used as a last resort. Very few are selective, thus most will kill the good insects as well as the bad.

Soapy water will fix most insects and scales but if this fails try garlic spray.

Garlic Spray: 3-4 cloves of Garlic, 1/2 – 1 tsp Cayenne, 500ml Water, dish washing liquid.

Mix garlic, cayenne and water together in the blender and strain through a fine cloth. Add a few drops of dish washing liquid to help the spray remain on the foliage. Use sparingly to control aphids, and other sucking insects.

Yellow Sticky Traps. Hang a strip of yellow plastic covered with Vaseline in the vegetable garden to control white fly.

Powdery mildew can be controlled quite effectively with a spray of one part milk to 10 parts of water. Spray in the cooler hours of the early morning. Repeat the spray weekly until the mildew has gone.

Naphthalene flakes will keep possums away from your plants. Pop a handful of the flakes in an old stocking and hang them amongst the foliage.

Black spot on roses can be cured with a solution of 1 tblsp of baking soda, 1 tsp of dishwashing liquid and 5 litres of water, sprayed weekly in the early mornings.

Borax and icing sugar controls ants. Mix ¼ cup icing sugar with 1 tbsp of borax sprinkled where ants congregate. The worker ants will take the powder back to the nest and the nest will be eliminated. As with all sprays and remedies keep the borax well away from pets and children

Terracotta pots filled with dry grass and balanced upside down on a bamboo cane will attract chewing earwigs that love to be in dry, dark places. Empty the pot every few days.

Beer is a favourite of snails. Simply pour some beer into an old plastic drink bottle and lay it on it’s side in the garden to entice them inside. A drunk snail is a dead snail.

Old coffee grounds and tea leaves are great fertilisers. Never throw them away, put them on the garden under your trees and shrubs.

Worm Farms are a great way to compost down all your vegetable waste from the kitchen. The liquid produced from a worm farm is the richest fertiliser that I know.

ronniedeb
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Re: Organic Pest Repellents

Post by ronniedeb » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:29 am

Thanks for that chilliman64. Any chance you could send us over some "blue tongue lizards and water dragons" for the snails! :lol:

I may try the milk and water solution to curb the powdery mildew though.

I'm not sure about yellow sticky traps anymore. From keeping an eye on them this year, they seemed to trap more non-harmful insects than pests, and even caught a few beneficial hoverflies too.

chilliman64

Post by chilliman64 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:29 pm

yellow sticky traps don't discriminate!

you're on your own as far as the blue tongues and water dragons. I've got a few blue tongues in and around my place. they're very gentle lizards but luckily they love ripping into snails!

TJWest

Post by TJWest » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:15 am

Hi,

just curious about your thoughts on the organic Neem Oil?

TJ

scion
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by scion » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:52 pm

chilliman64 wrote:Reproduced with thanks!
=====================

"You can have a garden full of healthy plants and vegetables, wildlife and birds - chemical free. "

LIFE AS IT SHOULD BE

Soapy water will fix most insects and scales but if this fails try garlic spray.

Garlic Spray: 3-4 cloves of Garlic, 1/2 - 1 tsp Cayenne, 500ml Water, dish washing liquid.

Mix garlic, cayenne and water together in the blender and strain through a fine cloth. Add a few drops of dish washing liquid to help the spray remain on the foliage. Use sparingly to control aphids, and other sucking insects.
Could you please tell me the ratio to make soapy water (water + dish washing liquid)? Once I used soapy water (water + dish washing liquid) but it damaged the foliage, I cannot remember the ration but when I shook it produced bubbles.

mod edit: as per the original post - a few drops of dish washing liquid to 500ml of water - hope that helps - best of luck!

TJWest

Post by TJWest » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:01 pm

If you follow his recipe up there, one drop is what I have added in the past with decent results. Start low and add more if not enough.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

chilliman64

Post by chilliman64 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:17 pm

TJWest wrote:Hi,

just curious about your thoughts on the organic Neem Oil?

TJ
sorry TJ, I don't have any thoughts on organic Neem Oil.

Leif
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Leif » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:11 am

As I wrote in another thread, it is best to avoid having to use pest repellants, and let nature do the work for you. Establishing flowers to attract predators such as ladybirds and hover flies will ensure any infestation is cleaned up. Farmers have to spray because they grow monocultures, which are smorgasbords for pests. So avoid growing only one crop, if possible do not grow the same crop in the same bed in successive years, to avoid overwintering pests. Insecticides solve the symptoms not the problem.

The only exception to this in my case is slugs. Keeping an area clean and removing hiding places helps keep them down, but I do not have many frogs and no hedgehogs, so I use slug pellets. Raising seedlings in pots will protect young plants, but some have to be planted in situ, and in wet weather the garden can be wall to wall slugs.

padale
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by padale » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:32 pm

I watched a Zebra Spider hunt and take an aphid today, sadly it disappeared before I got my camera. Go Spidey!!!!

Paul.

scotchnaga85
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by scotchnaga85 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:22 pm

Powdered sulfur... Aphids & white flies seem to hate it.

Chilli Keith
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Chilli Keith » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:44 pm

Had not spotted this thread. Thanks for waking it up ScotchNaga.

To attract ladybirds you can plant birch trees, which will attract Loads, or for smaller spaces I discovered leaf fennel is great and it also attracts hover flies and maybe wasps? due to the small unbelifer flower heads. All 3 are voracious predators of aphids!

GardenAngels
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by GardenAngels » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:03 pm

I have just spotted this thread. Great tips. I quite fancy having a go at keeping aphids away by putting a bee and bug house in the gardening and attracting a few ladybirds. Hopefully i can do my bit for the environment and help the ladybird populations. I don't see as many as i used to when i was younger, Ladybirds that is :)

Mustafa Chilli
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Mustafa Chilli » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:26 pm

Free Nitrogen.

Put a load of stinging nettles into a tub of water. Weigh them down with a brick if need be. Wait a couple of weeks. If it smells like cow dung, it's ready.

(Female nettles do not sting, so go for them if you do not have gloves.)

Mustafa Chilli
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Mustafa Chilli » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:34 pm

Many aromatic herbs, like yarrow, citronella, mint, fennel, catnip, basil, and lemongrass are natural deterrents for garden pests from aphids to potato beetles. As an added bonus, some of these herbs also attract the predators that keep pests under control.

Leif
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Leif » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:57 pm

Pyrethrin is in my view an acceptable solution for bad pest attacks, it comes from chrysanthemums, but it does kill all insects. It has very low human toxicity, but is stillbest used with care. Aphids are a serious problem on my currants. A spray of soapy water killed the aphids and ants on the plants, which are in flower, and a ring of pyrethrin around the base killed the ants, which of course farmed the aphids. I wish there was a more natural solution, but ants are a pain. Last year the currant stems were covered in a fine crush of soil such that no stem was visible. The tops were clumps of soil. I can only assume the ants did it to create a weird nest.

ChilliBadger
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliBadger » Wed May 13, 2015 9:53 pm

Helpful thread everyone.

Mustafa, citronella smells rank tho, no wonder insects hate it!

I read recently that nicotine is a natural repellent - on insects, not just people who don't like smoking - i have some anecdotal evidence as my recent aphid attack was confined solely to a room in my flat where i don't smoke, the room where i do the plants were entirely unaffected! Don't know how scientific that is but there we go.

Chilli Keith
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Chilli Keith » Wed May 13, 2015 10:41 pm

Ants! I discovered that a few of our plants had some aphids on then realised it was ants farming them. The plants with the aphids is a propagator that is on the grounds - and so the ants are held responsible (possibly) for finding aphids out side and placing them on the plants!
They got the squish treatment plus an extra application of SB Plant Invigorator which seems to have done the trick.

ronniedeb
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ronniedeb » Fri May 15, 2015 7:25 pm

ChilliBadger wrote:Helpful thread everyone.

I read recently that nicotine is a natural repellent - on insects, not just people who don't like smoking - i have some anecdotal evidence as my recent aphid attack was confined solely to a room in my flat where i don't smoke, the room where i do the plants were entirely unaffected! Don't know how scientific that is but there we go.
Hey Chillibadger. Nicotiana Rustica in tea form is sprayed on plants as a pesticide. It's a strong wild rainforest tobacco and is also an ingredient of the ceremonial Ayahuasca. It contains 10-20 times more nicotine that Nicotiana tabacum, that is used for cigarettes. I had some seeds. I may still have some seeds. If I do I can send you some, if you'd like. I've read that you should wear a mask when spraying though. Toxic stuff to humans as well, apparently. :|

ChilliBadger
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliBadger » Sun May 17, 2015 10:40 am

Thanks ronniedeb. I'd love to have a go at growing some backy at some point in the future, it sounds like an interesting project, although i'll have to pass for now due to limited space, but thank you. I'll keep an eye out for any sprays - or just go & sit in the other room & smoke! Cheers.

Chilli Keith
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Chilli Keith » Sun May 17, 2015 1:38 pm

Ronan - I imagine Ayahuasca would wipe the most vigorous pests of the face of the Earth!

Mustafa Chilli
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Mustafa Chilli » Thu May 21, 2015 2:47 am

ronniedeb wrote:
ChilliBadger wrote:Helpful thread everyone.

Hey Chillibadger. Nicotiana Rustica in tea form is sprayed on plants as a pesticide. It's a strong wild rainforest tobacco and is also an ingredient of the ceremonial Ayahuasca. It contains 10-20 times more nicotine that Nicotiana tabacum, that is used for cigarettes. I had some seeds. I may still have some seeds. If I do I can send you some, if you'd like. I've read that you should wear a mask when spraying though. Toxic stuff to humans as well, apparently. :|
Are you sure about the smell? I hear that it is pleasant. IIRC isn't it a type of lemongrass?

I saw some Nicotiana plants for sale in The Range today. They had Nicotiana Lime Green, and Nicotiana Red. IIRC they were £2.49. I'll have another look when I am in there.

Mustafa Chilli
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Mustafa Chilli » Thu May 21, 2015 2:53 am

Not an Organic Pest Repellent, but vaseline liberally spread onto yellow (or orange) card, then placed on the surface soil helps kill fungus (Sciarid) flies. It's a cheap and non-toxic way of controlling them.

ChilliBadger
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliBadger » Thu May 21, 2015 7:07 pm

Mustafa Chilli wrote:Are you sure about the smell? I hear that it is pleasant.
Mustafa, re citronella, you may well be right, i've only really used it in an essential oil form, so maybe it's better fresh, in the garden or wherever, but in it's concentrated oil form for me personally i find it most unpleasant.
Last edited by ChilliBadger on Sun May 24, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slyboy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Slyboy » Sun May 24, 2015 10:12 am

Great thread this. I didn't know naphthalene flakes keep possums away. I may need this at some point. I wonder where I can get them from? I think I will try my local garden centre first off.

Chilli Keith
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Chilli Keith » Sun May 24, 2015 2:39 pm

Naphalene is used in moth balls, so may be a cheap way of doing it.