Organic Pest Repellents

Growing problems

Moderators: chilliman64, Ben123, Kathy, Wilf

Leif
Hot Head
Hot Head

Re: Organic Pest Repellents

Post by Leif » Mon May 25, 2015 10:09 pm

GardenAngels wrote:I have just spotted this thread. Great tips. I quite fancy having a go at keeping aphids away by putting a bee and bug house in the gardening and attracting a few ladybirds. Hopefully i can do my bit for the environment and help the ladybird populations. I don't see as many as i used to when i was younger, Ladybirds that is :)
Is it attracting insects? I made three simple insects homes from an old blackthorn log, and scrap wood, but they've only been outdoors for a week.

Chilli Keith
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Chilli Keith » Sun May 31, 2015 5:20 pm

So we have aphids on some of our plants. I have killed most using SB plant invigorator although I am still squashing the ones I see and doing plenty of inspecting. I noticed that some of our aphid 'friends' have kindly volunteered to be parasitised by parasitic wasps! When I spot one of these I ensure that I do not squish it, for nestled inside is what will become another very useful ally.

Here's what the aphids look like when parasitised

As it's that time of year I have been looking out for ladybirds, eggs and larvae. Unfortunately there are none to be found on any of their favourite plants around the centre. I've checked the Birch trees, Fennel and everything in between.
I did happen upon an ideal place to keep an eye out for them though. This is a single stand of Elder along the side of a storage container. It is smothered in black bean aphids, so will hopefully supply our free aphid control this year.

Does anyone know of any solutions for Thrips as I've seen a few about both at home and in the poly?

GardenAngels
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by GardenAngels » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:03 pm

I know this is an old one but thrips are always a pain. Apparently natural predators such as lacewings and ladybirds are great for getting rid of them. I found a handy article: http://www.planetnatural.com/pest-probl ... s-control/

We've also added a few new bio controls and pest control bits to our website if this is helpful for the new season? http://www.greenhousesensation.co.uk/fr ... ocontrols/
http://www.greenhousesensation.co.uk/fr ... ssentials/
Chilli Keith wrote:So we have aphids on some of our plants. I have killed most using SB plant invigorator although I am still squashing the ones I see and doing plenty of inspecting. I noticed that some of our aphid 'friends' have kindly volunteered to be parasitised by parasitic wasps! When I spot one of these I ensure that I do not squish it, for nestled inside is what will become another very useful ally.

Here's what the aphids look like when parasitised

As it's that time of year I have been looking out for ladybirds, eggs and larvae. Unfortunately there are none to be found on any of their favourite plants around the centre. I've checked the Birch trees, Fennel and everything in between.
I did happen upon an ideal place to keep an eye out for them though. This is a single stand of Elder along the side of a storage container. It is smothered in black bean aphids, so will hopefully supply our free aphid control this year.

Does anyone know of any solutions for Thrips as I've seen a few about both at home and in the poly?