Aphid control

Growing problems

Moderators: chilliman64, Ben123, Kathy, Wilf

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Aphid control

Post by ChilliJez » Tue May 03, 2016 5:11 pm

I thought it might be a good time to share experiences. I've had a shocking time with greenfly and whitefly on my aquaponics plants over winter.

Generally I've been happy to use systemics like Bayer Multirose or Provado but these have a max number of applications per year or you risk creating yourself some super resistant creatures. In my aquaponic grow I can't use those as they are dangerous to the fish.

Just recently I saw this in Home bargains and gave it a go. I lifted horseradish out of the bed and washed all the aphids I could off it. Then I sprayed with this and put the plant back for a couple of weeks. All I can say is that it didn't become recolonised despite there being a lot of the blighters still about. £1.50 for 750ml in a spray bottle.

ChilliBadger
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Re: Aphid control

Post by ChilliBadger » Sun May 08, 2016 6:56 pm

Nice one CJ. Worth giving it a go for sure.

Bigjohn
Seedling
Seedling

Post by Bigjohn » Tue May 10, 2016 12:46 pm

Hi im definitely going to try this thanks

chilliman64

Post by chilliman64 » Tue May 10, 2016 11:00 pm

what's the key ingredient? pyrethrum by any chance?

Ben123

Post by Ben123 » Tue May 10, 2016 11:23 pm

Seems just to be a sticky starch solution? Thanks for the tip Jez, will keep it in mind for the inevitable infestations :)

deano
Seedling
Seedling

Post by deano » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:25 pm

Ive been having problems with Aphids,ive washed the plants on numerous occasions and sprayed(Doff greenfly/blackfly killer)but the buggers keep reappearing!
Dosage on bottle says once a week but they keep coming back and spray doesnt seem to have much effect!
plants affected are indoors on a sill..maybe if weathers better this weekend i may leave them outside would help?

deano
Seedling
Seedling

Post by deano » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:17 pm

the aphids still keep returning,ive upped the dosage as once a week wasnt killing the blighters, and have been spraying off with water too..
gave them a real good spray of killer after i had washed off the pests this evening,now just waiting to see if it works..otherwise i will have to get another spray as mine isnt working!..Does anyone use Garlic spray? does it work? cheers

Flamethrower
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Flamethrower » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:06 pm

I try washing up liquid before anything else - in fact it’s never got as far as anything else; some of those organic pest sprays I have seen have essentially been the same thing a vast vast price hike - not seen starch based - i am guessing if they are returning that quick not all are dead so I’d be tempted with more often initially at least. Washing up liquids effective - not edible quite but not dangerous in small amounts - organic natural ones are available - not sure that mean safer per se - just natural ingredients - there are organic things that are highly dangerous of course but that’s another matter. never had aphid but spidermite; mine are to a large degree outside so less problems if that is possible