Insecticide delivered through the roots

Growing problems

Moderators: chilliman64, Kathy, Wilf

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Insecticide delivered through the roots

Post by ChilliJez » Tue May 23, 2017 11:41 pm

Does anyone have experience of this? I mean applying Pesticides generally, (insecticide, fungicide) delivered through the roots rather than sprayed on the leaves.

I really like this idea. I mean we don't generally choose to deliver nutrients through the leaves do we?

I'm thinking of systemic insecticides at the moment and specifically this thioclaprid. We can use this as amateurs until the end of 2018 though it should be no longer for sale. It's a neonicotinoid and I've found references that suggest these can be effective being taken up by the roots in grapevines. Another article suggesting systemic pesticides that are water soluble will be effective for 2 - 3 times as long as folia application.

Most of my plants will spend the season with their roots sitting in a solution delivering nutrients. I'd be happy if that solution could also be delivering pest protection. Less waste. Less Collateral damage.

How much? How often? I would welcome any thoughts, whether expert or gut feeling.

Thanks all. :P

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Re: Insecticide delivered through the roots

Post by ChilliJez » Wed May 24, 2017 12:00 am

More thoughts. From reading protection is slower to take effect but 2-3 times as long lasting. If I do a mash up of that and Provado's claim of 4-6 weeks effectiveness with folia application, that adds up to about 12 weeks. That's flippin' 3 months! However it's slower to act as it needs to be translocated.

More fire prevention that fire fighting.

Also, the 2 or 4 applications per year may be completely different in this application.

Also, because systemics generally target a specific vulnerability, they're highly susceptible to mutation in the pest. That means pest resistance.

I'm thinking 2 applications in the year to the nutrient solutions of my dwc and swp grown plants and otherwise monitor and use soap and waxy treatments.

dennish
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Re: Insecticide delivered through the roots

Post by dennish » Wed May 24, 2017 4:48 pm

My provado leaked in the same box as my wicks, so by default I'm trying this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk