What are your ways of germinating?

Growin to Harvesting

Moderators: chilliman64, Wilf, Kathy

daz_martin

Re: What are your ways of germinating?

Post by daz_martin »

Willard3, cheers, testers paper towelled up, bagged up and in the airing cupboard. got the jam jars on standby. Hopefully this will get me over the staring at pots of compost and wondering if they will ever germinate problem !
Ta

mrholmes166
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by mrholmes166 »

This year I've gone for the straight in method no pre soaking
I use a 40cell insert filled with John innes no2 70%,30% perlite 1-3mm,1/2cup diatomaceous earth,few scoops of mycorrhizal fungus and a drop of water
Leave them to their own devices moisten when dried out

SiBorg

Heefy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Heefy »

I just pop two seeds in a wet, propagation sponge and put them in a seed tray on a bit of green absorbent felt matting, then heated tray/propagator with a lid on to keep the humidity high.

Remove the lid when most have looped as the humidity can be reduced.

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliJez »

[quote="Heefy"]I just pop two seeds in a wet, propagation sponge and put them in a seed tray on a bit of green absorbent felt matting, then heated tray/propagator with a lid on to keep the humidity high.

Remove the lid when most have looped as the humidity can be reduced. [/quote]

You're using root riot cubes? Do they contain nutrient or are you using nutrient? Dou you feed before you need to pot on? What do you pot on into?

Questions! Questions! Thanks!

Heefy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

What are your ways of germinating?

Post by Heefy »

[quote="ChilliJez"][quote="Heefy"]I just pop two seeds in a wet, propagation sponge and put them in a seed tray on a bit of green absorbent felt matting, then heated tray/propagator with a lid on to keep the humidity high.

Remove the lid when most have looped as the humidity can be reduced. [/quote]

You're using root riot cubes? Do they contain nutrient or are you using nutrient? Dou you feed before you need to pot on? What do you pot on into?

Questions! Questions! Thanks![/quote]

The sponges or cubes contain no nutrients or feed, so I water with a Root Start diluted solution, which is a week feed aimed at advancing root structure. I feed from the moment they loop.

I will get you the names of the feed, one is Rootbastic or similar, the other is Take Root.

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016012 ... a98340.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016012 ... 3beed5.jpg[/IMG]

I don't make any special recommendations of these, I just had them lying around. Any weak feed would work. I do test the strength (EC) of the solution, so as not to over do it.

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016012 ... 20252d.jpg[/IMG]

Once I have a few sets of real leaves I pot on to 10 cm pots.

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016012 ... 968ad7.jpg[/IMG]

I am potting on to a 60/40 mix of coir and clay pebbles at the minute so they can be bottom watered in trays with an aquavalve. Later on I will use either more of the same or a compost and perlite mix for the Autopots/Quadgrows.

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016012 ... 93769f.jpg[/IMG]

I hope,this answers the questions.

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliJez »

It does Heefy, thank you.

Last year I had atrocious results with the coir/clay pebble mix.Nothing really grew and gradually plants just withered and died. I'm interested to see how you get on. You didn't seem to have problems last year and I will be watching your progress this.

daz_martin

Post by daz_martin »

Hi, just trying the paper towel/zip bag method, got them hanging in the airing cupboard and I have action after a few days !!! thanks for the advice..... next question at what point do you pick them out and place into compost. as you can see in the picture (hopefully) the shoot is only a mm or so long.
Thanks

[URL=http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/daz_m ... l.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r63 ... uiccvl.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Awww bare with me for the photo !!!

padale
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by padale »

I use Jiffy7 peat plugs. I've tried the cheapo versions and coir ones but always have best results in the authentic plugs and peat. They go in a heated propagator.

I'm very ham fisted so transplanting the whole plug is much easier for me.

Here's Jalapeño Early living up to its name, sprouted in just 4 days!

[IMG]http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx27 ... bujdr1.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

TheChileAcademy

Post by TheChileAcademy »

Rockwool all the way for myself...high humidity in a propagation dome....bottom heat via a heating pad...80-85F temps..