Seedlings helmets stuck help

Growin to Harvesting

Moderators: chilliman64, Wilf, Kathy

DazSH

Seedlings helmets stuck help

Post by DazSH »

Hi, i have at least 5 seedlings with seed shells stuck whats the best practice to help them remove it safely im getting worried been a while for some?

Ive tried spraying and adding water to the seed casing at least twice a day and they still dont seem to be able to shed it.

thanks

snagglepuss
Hot Head
Hot Head

Re: Seedlings helmets stuck help

Post by snagglepuss »

just spraying water on them should work that's all i do.

ronniedeb
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by ronniedeb »

Sometimes they just wont come off. You can try emergency surgery, but sometimes it ends in death. :cry:
It can be prevented by soaking seed and sowing deeper, I think.

chilliman64

Post by chilliman64 »

do a search - as you can imagine you are not the first grower this has happened to - this happens every season and has been discussed ad nauseum. suggest you try 'seed' 'caps' etc :lol:

DazSH

Post by DazSH »

cheers will do couldnt think of what to search for tried helmets, husk, casing lol

chilliman64

Post by chilliman64 »

no worries dude - there is no need to worry and they will eventually drop off, the chances of you damaging the plant are greater than your odds for a successful removal.

Mark H

Post by Mark H »

I must admit, i had a couple of really stubborn seed caps which just wasn't moving, i was able to slide them off the cotyledon leaves with my finger nail. You have to be really gentle though and not force it it or you will damage the leaf or stem.

Ben123
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Ben123 »

Sometimes even with dampening the seed cap it still won't fall off :( I've de-helmeted seedlings before, some times more successfully than others. First I'll very gently pinch the cap so that it flexes slightly open, then very very very gently pull on it, very gently. You don't want to rip the leaves or pull the root out. Sometimes it'll start to slide slowly so I just keep it up till it comes off. Sometimes the top half off the seed leaves will rip off though.

If I feel like pretending I'm a surgeon I'll use some tweezers to grasp an edge of the seed cap, being careful to avoid the internal leaves (just grab the very edge), then with a pair of nail scissors I cut the tiniest slither of the opposite edge off, ensuring I go through the opening. Then I pinch and slide again.

A lot of the time though if the seedling has been a bit too long in the cap the leaves are all damaged due to trying to grow in the restricted space and the seedling doesn't do too well anyway.

DazSH

Post by DazSH »

Ben123 wrote:Sometimes even with dampening the seed cap it still won't fall off :( I've de-helmeted seedlings before, some times more successfully than others. First I'll very gently pinch the cap so that it flexes slightly open, then very very very gently pull on it, very gently. You don't want to rip the leaves or pull the root out. Sometimes it'll start to slide slowly so I just keep it up till it comes off. Sometimes the top half off the seed leaves will rip off though.

If I feel like pretending I'm a surgeon I'll use some tweezers to grasp an edge of the seed cap, being careful to avoid the internal leaves (just grab the very edge), then with a pair of nail scissors I cut the tiniest slither of the opposite edge off, ensuring I go through the opening. Then I pinch and slide again.

A lot of the time though if the seedling has been a bit too long in the cap the leaves are all damaged due to trying to grow in the restricted space and the seedling doesn't do too well anyway.
Cheers ben think i need to do something asap as theyve been stuck a long time and i only had three seeds from bhut jolokia from last years crop and 2 of the three seedlings are stuck :cry:

DazSH

Post by DazSH »

Managed to get all shells off bar one. i gave up as i ripped the leaves off one of the seedlings, but overall went well.

Ben123
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Ben123 »

Good to hear! :) let's hope they shoot out their true leaves sharpish! :)

DazSH

Post by DazSH »

Yeah defo the healthiest one is just about to so they shouldnt be far behind :) unless i lose some...

ChilliJay
Seedling
Seedling

Post by ChilliJay »

I'm sure I've read somewhere that if you dab a little saliva on the seed casing the enzymes in your spit with soften the seed making it easier for the leaves to push thru or manually remove.
Not had to try this method yet, but kinda makes sense.

DazSH

Post by DazSH »

ChilliJay wrote:I'm sure I've read somewhere that if you dab a little saliva on the seed casing the enzymes in your spit with soften the seed making it easier for the leaves to push thru or manually remove.
Cool, if i get anymore stuck i will defo give it atry thx

chilliman64

Post by chilliman64 »

ChilliJay wrote:I'm sure I've read somewhere that if you dab a little saliva on the seed casing the enzymes in your spit with soften the seed making it easier for the leaves to push thru or manually remove.
oh no, I can hear it (them) now

'Man charged with lewd behaviour - seen licking chilli seedlings by passersby...'

'hello everyone, my name is ChilliJay, and I'm a seedling licker' (sorry CJ but you started this :lol: )

'I don't really like licking seed caps in jiffy pellets, I prefer a heavy mix of perlite - mmmmmmm... perlite...'

'anyone got any recipes for morouga-brainstrain-7pod-naga-bhut-fatalii-superhot-morich seedcaps?'

'chocolate flavoured seedcaps now available, only 20 pound/euro/dollars for 10'

I'll stop now.

ChilliJay
Seedling
Seedling

Post by ChilliJay »

Hahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: @chilliman64
Sounds inappropriate lol. Indescent licking of a seedling! :lol:

willard3
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by willard3 »

Leave them alone and keep the RH up.

trident
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by trident »

My "Alphabet" challenge came to a sudden halt this week as my G - "Grao de Bode" refuses to leave its helmet well dissapointed so have given up with this variety called on a substitute and thanks to Snagglepuss I have now sowen some "Golden Habs" in there place

DazSH

Post by DazSH »

trident wrote:My "Alphabet" challenge came to a sudden halt this week as my G - "Grao de Bode" refuses to leave its helmet well dissapointed so have given up with this variety called on a substitute and thanks to Snagglepuss I have now sowen some "Golden Habs" in there place
Sorry to hear that m8 there a nightmare ive lost a few and saved a few all about luck really some more stuck than others.

trident
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by trident »

Daz thanks - the poor blighter has been stuck like that for weeks. Sprayed/misted/increased temp but its helmet just will not budge :evil:

DAC596

SEED CASING STUCK?

Post by DAC596 »

One of my sprouts has been up for 4 days now and it hasn't shed it's seed pod yet. I'm afraid it will die. Can i try to pry it off, or will that kill it? I have limited seed so I'm trying to get all I can.
DAVE

nickdu
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by nickdu »

This is what i do. I wet the helmet then put two fingers each end of the seed helmet the sharp part not the flat part and gently squeeze them together.
I then put a finger on the soil where the seedling has sprouted from to support the stem and slowly pull the helmet off.
If the stem is long enough i hold it instead and geltly pull the helmet off.
It works for me and i hardly ever loose a seedling to due to stuck helmets.

lytton
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by lytton »

Cheers for the help guys, tried removing a couple of mine but there was just nothing underneath, I fear they were just never meant to be.

scion
Seedling
Seedling

Post by scion »

Just I found this thread, it is about 3 months old, anyway just I share my experience.

I had similar problems. I have done so many techniques as the other posters mentioned. This season I used small piece of paper towel to cover the helmet and sprayed water often, its the best technique I had experience. The other technique is cutting the helmet as a last option.

Bigwelshprop
Seedling
Seedling

Post by Bigwelshprop »

I had a few where the cotys were growing, but their tips were stuck in the casing. Eventually, I decided to intervene. Some, I managed to remove it without affecting anything. Others, it was a choice between pulling at it and potentially snapping the stem or uprooting it, so I sacrificed the tips of the cotys and cut the leaves with my thumbnail. Each one of those survived and just grew wider, squarer cotys. Not sure if I was right or just lucky, but it made sense to me to lose a fraction of leaf rather than risk killing the whole plant.