Seedlings helmets stuck help

Growin to Harvesting

Moderators: chilliman64, Wilf, Kathy

ledhydro

Re: Seedlings helmets stuck help

Post by ledhydro »

Before I start seeds to get I rub the seeds against very fine sandpaper, this helps softening the cases and stops this happening.

Some say its silly but it works for me.

snagglepuss
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by snagglepuss »

I find soaking the seeds helps to soften them

chilliman64

Post by chilliman64 »

nickdu wrote:This is what i do. I wet the helmet then put two fingers each end of the seed helmet the sharp part not the flat part and gently squeeze them together.
I then put a finger on the soil where the seedling has sprouted from to support the stem and slowly pull the helmet off.
If the stem is long enough i hold it instead and geltly pull the helmet off.
It works for me and i hardly ever loose a seedling to due to stuck helmets.
I try to leave them be but I always end up using this method. I use a spray bottle to wet down the casing a few times leaving the water to soak in a bit then get to squeezing.

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliJez »

If you're used to splitting pea/broad bean/mangetout pods it's the same thing in minature. :P

Birdman
Seedling
Seedling

Post by Birdman »

This has happened to me a few times. In each case I've just tried to use 2 cocktail sticks to remove it with a bit of gentle force. If it won't come, let the seedling grow for another day and then try again. Eventually they've always just come loose enough to slide off.

sbellotti84

Post by sbellotti84 »

Let them do their thing...more times than not the leaves will pry themselves out enough for you to help out....and by help i mean gently pinching the seed and coaxing it off while you LIGHTLY hold the seedling in place....in the event it's totally covered....leave it be...saliva will help....worst case...yo may lose it...