Growing under lights

Growin to Harvesting

Moderators: Kathy, chilliman64, Wilf

chilliman64

Re: Lights for seedlings.

Post by chilliman64 »

brc wrote:I have sprouted some 1500 seedlings of 50+ varieities indoors over the last three months. I don't bother with growlights. I use 6ft long 100w standard flourescent lights available from any diy/electrical shop. These are in double units, and i suspend two units over each table of seedlings - so there are 4 x 6ft 100w lights over each table.

The lights are no more than 2-3 inches above the tops of the chilies. As the bulbs are cool, there is no heat to damage the leaves. The only heat comes from the power packs on the lights - however, my plant room has been over 50 degrees as i have 16 lights running in total over the tables, so the plants have been shooting away. It has been hotter in the plant room than out in the polytunnels in the last few weeks.

I have found no problem in just using these lights. I used to use growlights, but found them no better than these standard flourescents. I am not recommending using them for the plant's full life thru to fruiting, but they do the job for seedlings. Indeed, many of the seedlings start flowering and fruiting under the lights before they make it to the polytunnels.
gday brc and welcome to the hottest site on the 'net! I have a few questions for you if you don't mind:

do you light for 16 hours per day with the fluoros? how big do you let the seedlings grow before planting out?

Mark
koolguymike

Post by koolguymike »

daveinwearside wrote:just the answer i was looking for many thanks.

I'm using a 200w 6400k cfl it's about 3 inches from the top of the plants at the moment!

I also have a 200w 2700k cfl for fruiting!

do you think it would pay to have them both on at once?

cheers
Dave
to answer this question the best i would have to say;

if one light is plenty for the amount of plants you have only run the 6400k, but if not the plants will LOVE the mix of both. a mix will better represent the actual sunlight.

if you plan on doing it all inside then you should think the plants will be half the full size when under the 6400k so you will need 2x the lights for fruiting... if you have one 6400k then to fruit you will want 2 lights (the mix is fine for this). if you need 2 lights when they are small then a good chance you will want up to 4 lights to finish them with.
marcusjj

Post by marcusjj »

Hello everyone!

I'm new in this growing-chili thingy and i dont have that much light in my flat. I bought a 400W HPS lamp 2 weeks ago with a 2700k lamp ( it says "for flowring" on it)

Do anyone knows if its possible to only grow under this lamp or do i have to change to a lamp with more blue light when they grow?

best regards
//Marcus

Edit: found a link to the lamp im using:
http://rygegrej.dk/product_info.php?man ... cts_id=497
Ralph_Hilton

Post by Ralph_Hilton »

Hi Marcus,
HPS lights are better for flowering/ fruiting. In earlier stages a bluer light is best such as an MH light.
marcusjj

Post by marcusjj »

Hi Ralph!

Ok. So you dont think its possible to grow with the HPS lamp iv got?
Ill post a pic so you can decide if they look "ok".
The surface of the liefs have become more rough then befor when i started to use the HPS lamp.

Best regads
//Marcus
koolguymike

Post by koolguymike »

your plants look pretty nice to me. is there more than one plant in the pot?

i dont think Ralph was saying it isnt possible, but rather you will get better results with the (6500k) light in the beginning. dont worry you are fine.

if you are going with JUST ONE LIGHT indoors i would go with the flowering bulb because you will be flowering alot longer than the veg growth, and well it IS the pods we are after right.

i have grown peppers under these lights;
4 ft flourescnets
250w mh
400w hps
400w mh
1000w mh
1000w hps
200w CFL (6500k)

the CFL make the bushiest plants but that is just veg growth. i move my plants outside to bloom so i dont have the best answer for fruiting light prefeneces. and of course the plants all loved the 1000w no matter the light colour.

Michael
marcusjj

Post by marcusjj »

koolguymike wrote:your plants look pretty nice to me. is there more than one plant in the pot?

i dont think Ralph was saying it isnt possible, but rather you will get better results with the (6500k) light in the beginning. dont worry you are fine.

if you are going with JUST ONE LIGHT indoors i would go with the flowering bulb because you will be flowering alot longer than the veg growth, and well it IS the pods we are after right.

i have grown peppers under these lights;
4 ft flourescnets
250w mh
400w hps
400w mh
1000w mh
1000w hps
200w CFL (6500k)

the CFL make the bushiest plants but that is just veg growth. i move my plants outside to bloom so i dont have the best answer for fruiting light prefeneces. and of course the plants all loved the 1000w no matter the light colour.

Michael
Thanks for the answer!
Yes, i am growing only with one light so ill stick with the flowering HPS then :)
And yes again, There are more than one plant in that pot. Most of my plants have their own pots but those one hasnt.

thanks ones again for the help. Will post some resaults later i guess.

Best regards
//Marcus
Ralph_Hilton

Post by Ralph_Hilton »

I noticed myself that some younger plants didn't like. Leaves would get rougher and yellower. More leaves would be lost. So if you notice a deterioration in the plants then I'd consider getting an MH retrofit lamp for your system.
koolguymike

Post by koolguymike »

Ralph_Hilton wrote:.....I'd consider getting an MH retrofit lamp for your system.
100% great suggestion. i have used them and they are very handy.
Randy

Post by Randy »

HERE IS THE SCHEDULE I USE AND IT WORKS FANTASTIC:1ST 3 WEEKS 18HRS,THIS IS FOR CLONES AND SEEDLING..THIS IS WEEK 0...VEGETATIVEIS WEEK 2 & 3....WEEK 4 SLOW EM DOWN TO 12 HRS FOR TRANSITION..WEEK 5 -11 IS FRUIT & FLOWERING...WEEK 12 IS PRE HARVEST NO LIGHT FOR 2-3 DAYS THE RESUME AT 12 HRS.. I AM USING
5 1000 WATT HPS BULBS (EYE HOTRILUX HIGH PREFORMANCE ENHANCED SPECTRUM SUPER HPS BULBS ONLY) FORW GROWTH AND FRUIT AND FLOWERING................RANDY :D
marcusjj

Post by marcusjj »

Randy wrote:HERE IS THE SCHEDULE I USE AND IT WORKS FANTASTIC:1ST 3 WEEKS 18HRS,THIS IS FOR CLONES AND SEEDLING..THIS IS WEEK 0...VEGETATIVEIS WEEK 2 & 3....WEEK 4 SLOW EM DOWN TO 12 HRS FOR TRANSITION..WEEK 5 -11 IS FRUIT & FLOWERING...WEEK 12 IS PRE HARVEST NO LIGHT FOR 2-3 DAYS THE RESUME AT 12 HRS.. I AM USING
5 1000 WATT HPS BULBS (EYE HOTRILUX HIGH PREFORMANCE ENHANCED SPECTRUM SUPER HPS BULBS ONLY) FORW GROWTH AND FRUIT AND FLOWERING................RANDY :D
Thanks for the tip!

Do you think mine would grow better with the same lamp your using (exept i would use the 400w version)? I saw that the one your using has light in the blue spectra: http://www.businesslights.com/product_i ... ts_id=1263

Would it make much difference if i changed to this lamp?
Randy

Post by Randy »

Yep...All they recent studies and reasearch has show complete and fenominal growth and fruit & flowering using the new HPS bulbs,the operating costs are low vs metal halide and you only need one bulb to do the whole cycle..refer back to the growing/lighting schedule I posted it get you to the flowering and fruiting cycle much quicker (take in mind we do this for a living) without cutting any corners fruit is larger and tastier and if you ask me,on our green crops (lettuces,spinach,chard) the roots taste better than the top crop................any other questions just send an e-mail.I don't want to bore the rest of the forum by getting long winded on any one hydro subject........Randy :opa:
T-5's work excellent also!!!!!!!
Micke

Post by Micke »

I would like a technical FAQ. For starters, what's needed to ignite a HPS-bulb and what's the cost for a, say, 50W system?
mattfuzzy

Post by mattfuzzy »

hey micke
you wouldnt grow much on a 50w hps system (i dont think anyways) saying that i got one of them 20w energy saver bulbs (spiral type bayonet socket) puts out 100w and 1045 od lumens and i must say with these darker days full of cloud with not much sunlight my tiny chiltepin seedling loves it, grew 1cm in height and put out another leaf today within 6 hours :D that was just a project though as the lights for my attic... anyway, im mabe planning on getting a 400w system sometime, far as i know you can get really good results from anything producing over 20,000 lumens (200w?)
-matt
marcusjj

Post by marcusjj »

Im growing under a 400w HPS light and my chilis seems to like it quite much :)
This is from the 1st of may.

And this is from the 17th of may.

//Marcus
Micke

Post by Micke »

Imponerande Mackan och välkommen till CG!

So maybe you can give me a hint of what I need. 400W, well, I'd go for less, considering the electrical bill, but that's just me.

I've been doing some research and decided I'm going for a MH-light, but I guess all discharge lamps have similiar principles. First of all, where do I get hold of the ballast cheapest?
marcusjj

Post by marcusjj »

Micke wrote:Imponerande Mackan och välkommen till CG!

So maybe you can give me a hint of what I need. 400W, well, I'd go for less, considering the electrical bill, but that's just me.

I've been doing some research and decided I'm going for a MH-light, but I guess all discharge lamps have similiar principles. First of all, where do I get hold of the ballast cheapest?
Thanks.
I bought my HPS kit from http://www.swedish-growsystems.se. They have kits that are worth its price IMO. The one i bought is "GIB kit Brillox 400W - Komplett byggsats" and costs 1 090,00 SEK. They have some MH bulbs too. Dont know if its the cheapest here in sweden.
Micke

Post by Micke »

Does anyone know of a MH setup cheaper than;
SEK 900:-
DKK 700:-
€100:-
£65:-
mattfuzzy

Post by mattfuzzy »

id get all my stuff from http://www.growell.com i got their catalog and its real nice, ballasts cost about £50 i think although i plan to get a nice 400w system for about £135 i think it is, its £10 more to get 400w than it is a 250w and the electric bill would only be £5 a month more based on 12 hours a day (totals to £15 a month i think on 12 hours a day) im very impatient when it comes to growing and the weathers crap, all im thinking about these days is gettin a light and a little grow room built (3X3X6?) would have all the plants i want as big as i want and fruiting as soon as i want from one of them... i would suggest having that 400w light a bit lower though (if you know how high to have it and its at that height then dont listen to me just seems a bit high is all) and all that light escaping from the sides... but still the size of the plants is amazing mine are 2 months old and are 1/4 of that height! :lol:
-matt
tugela_tony

Post by tugela_tony »

mattfuzzy wrote:id get all my stuff from http://www.growell.com i got their catalog and its real nice, ballasts cost about £50 i think although i plan to get a nice 400w system for about £135 i think it is, its £10 more to get 400w than it is a 250w and the electric bill would only be £5 a month more based on 12 hours a day (totals to £15 a month i think on 12 hours a day) im very impatient when it comes to growing and the weathers crap, all im thinking about these days is gettin a light and a little grow room built (3X3X6?) would have all the plants i want as big as i want and fruiting as soon as i want from one of them... i would suggest having that 400w light a bit lower though (if you know how high to have it and its at that height then dont listen to me just seems a bit high is all) and all that light escaping from the sides... but still the size of the plants is amazing mine are 2 months old and are 1/4 of that height! :lol:
-matt
400 is an excellent choice, not sure about growell - a bit pricey? I just built a 3x3 box for mine, though in retrospect I think I'd make it 4x2 because access is a little awkward (arms not long enough). Make sure your kit comes with a growlux or similar 'dual spectrum' bulb (essential imo) and a contactor/relay happy growing!
billyboy

Post by billyboy »

My reading of the forums leads me to believe if your growing in a 3ftx3ft area a 400watt MH-light is a good choice or a retro fit type if your using a HPS ballasted system.

Looking in a hydro shop today I saw a 130watt CFL with a 14000k spectrum are these better than the 6500k types?
mattfuzzy

Post by mattfuzzy »

so these dual spectrum bulbs any good then? i hear they are, but need replacing after every crop or 2 at the very most because they put out less lumens after the first crop, i was planning on getting a 400w with a good reflector and ballast for £135 thats with a growlux bulb too, but was wondering if a MH bulb would produce more lumens thus more growth and use a sodium for flowering depending on how effective they are compared to glowlux.

14000k spectrum? thought the max light spectrum was about 12000k? if you mean lumens thats ok if it costs about £20 per bulb id use 3 or 4 of them though for extra lumens unless all you want it for is a few plants, what i plan to do is grow from seedling to 2 foot high plants or more in veg room then turn veg room into flower room and flower for a few weeks and eventually shove the plants in the garden when the weathers good, should work pretty well from what iv seen a 400w can do in 16 days :twisted:
-matt
Micke

Post by Micke »

They use those high temperatures for huge saltwater fishtanks. (One of) the best fluorescent lights you can get for growing is Philips MASTER TL-D 90 Graphica/965 (T8 ).

Dual spectrum meens no carotenoids etc since they're not emitting any green, better then to go with a standard 840 (cold white). The only bad thing about fluorescent lighting that it costs you 30% more to run compared to a HPS, and for 1m^2 you'll need 10x36W, each pipe will need about 7cm (2,75") in width, that's an armature of 1,2x0,7m wich on the other hand is less than 1m^2.

I'll build myself an armature of either 3x58W or 5x36W and use either the Graphica or standard 840:s. It has it's advantages to be in my occupation. :)
Last edited by Micke on Mon May 21, 2007 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattfuzzy

Post by mattfuzzy »

was gonna say micke, why not just get a 400w MH or sodium? would cost less and mabe put out even more lumens, talking of which my little cheap 1000 lumen bulb for my "project" just died... never buy cheap bulbs from the hardware store.... even if they do cost £3.50 :lol:
by the way, why bother with any spectrum bulb higher than 6400k? as far as i know it wouldnt "grow more".
-matt
Micke

Post by Micke »

I won't keep that much veggies inside at one time, but I have considered a 150W MH instead of the 174/180W fluorescent setup if I can find it cheap. Though, will things grow better? I don't know, do you?