Tabasco Chipotle

Anything edible with chilli

Moderators: Wilf, chilliman64, Kathy, Ben123

Flamethrower
Hot Head
Hot Head

Tabasco Chipotle

Post by Flamethrower » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:07 pm

Grabbed a bottle coz they were £1.19 at lidl* so no great loss.

Pretty much as expected smoky, vague heat, sourness sweet and marred by onion smell and after taste; maybe there are better chipotles but won’t bother; most of these sauces are expensive by at least 3 times and having tried loads at a festival they are almost all still full of sugar and onions. small amounts in the context of dinner quite pleasant were these characteristics are hidden it was fine but normal sugar and onion contents most like make any sort of review from me a bit tainted so I others comments might be more helpful; sure most would find this far better than mcIlhennys basic simple and to a large part pointless basic tabasco and guessing this is otherwise ok. I’d be more interested in dried chipotle and find straight smoked paprika powder from asda* great for a smoky component and may as well stop reviewing sauce since they don’t excite me! I’ll use this and never miss it; Mahi bhut jolokia all the way where anything other than creative cooking and fresh homegrown chillies don’t surfice which isn’t often.

*other supermarkets may exist

Flamethrower
Hot Head
Hot Head

Re: Tabasco Chipotle

Post by Flamethrower » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:23 pm

Further testing and conclusion

Tried this in a few other contexts and it’s going in the bin; the sugars not a problem but it’s basically pretty bloody horrible. Asked my girlfriend what she thinks and she said “it’s rather oniony and I’m not that keen on smokey flavours”. We use onion in cooking of course to build up to other flavours be it indian chinese or whatever but never as a flavour in it’s self but that aside I am going to go out on a limb and say this sauces flavour profile is straight out unbalanced; "smokey onion" sauce is a better description.

I will give it 1.5/10 since I guess there must be worse sauces....?