Franks Hot Sauce (Red Hot Cayenne sauce)

Anything edible with chilli

Moderators: Kathy, Wilf, chilliman64

Kieran

Re: Franks Hot Sauce (Red Hot Cayenne sauce)

Post by Kieran »

me likes Reggie jerk sauce with puree habs :)

i do want to try billy be dammed, bbq sauce though.
mattydeakin

Post by mattydeakin »

Davetaylor wrote:
Kieran wrote:me likes Reggie jerk sauce with puree habs :)

i do want to try billy be dammed, bbq sauce though.
Billy be damned bbq saude is top bollocks! Best bbq suace I've tasted
+1
adm1

Post by adm1 »

I'm just about to buy some of the Billy be Damned.....but I need to buy some other stuff to make the postage more reasonable. Anchor Bar Suicidal, what else ?
mattydeakin

Post by mattydeakin »

adm1 wrote:I'm just about to buy some of the Billy be Damned.....but I need to buy some other stuff to make the postage more reasonable. Anchor Bar Suicidal, what else ?
Are you buying from Dr Burnoriums? I can recommend some stuff if you are. He's just got some dried chillis in. Nice big bags for £2.95. Nagas, Habs and Chipotle. He has also got some more of Cajohns sauces in (Karakatoa, Naga Soreass). Lemmie know the kind of thing you are after.
adm1

Post by adm1 »

I am indeed trawling through the Dr. Burnorium's store - and I notice a stunning resemblance between your avatar and him! :-)

Anyway....there's some good stuff on there for sure.

In a sauce, I like hot but not stupidly overpowering and I'm a big fan of fruity hab type flavours and also chipotles. I don't like sauces with much sugar in them though as I am diabetic and try to keep my sugar intake as close to zero as possible - although I do make exceptions every now and again!

I'll definitely get some dried chillis too as all I have left here are (massive) bags of guajillo, andcho and poblanos which are nice for flavouring, but have no heat.
mattydeakin

Post by mattydeakin »

In that case you won't go wrong with any of the Marie Sharp sauces if you want a good fruity hab flavour with little sugar. The Doctor isn't a fan of sweet sauces so most of what you'll find will be practically sugarless. Holy Jolokia is also another favourite of mine. It's a good seller. Let me know what you go for.
adm1

Post by adm1 »

RIght - that's done!

In the end I went for:
CaJohn's Holy Jolokia
Fat Bastard Gourmet Billy B Damned
Anchor Bar Suicidal Buffalo Wing Sauce
Marie Sharps' Fiery Hot Habanero

Plus:
1 Bag Naga
1 Bag Habanero
2 Bags Chipotle

The dried chillis weren't on the website yet, but a quick email exchange got those on order....great service there!
mattydeakin

Post by mattydeakin »

You'll be pleased with that order!

The chipotles are grade A Mexican. They are lush, I get through loads lol. Those Nagas will last you ages!
Kieran

Post by Kieran »

*Mexican accent*
Hey, you wanna thry this amigo, nagas right from the border,* :mrgreen:

this will be my order list when i get paid tommrow or the day after

Fat Bastard Gourmet Billy B Damned
Blair's Sudden Death in Coffin Box
Blair's Q Heat Habanero Mango
Lynchburg Tennessee Whiskey Barbecue Sauce - Hot & Spicy
adm1

Post by adm1 »

mattydeakin wrote:You'll be pleased with that order!

The chipotles are grade A Mexican. They are lush, I get through loads lol. Those Nagas will last you ages!
So.... I had a bit of an experiment over the weekend with some of the stuff from Dr. Burnoriums....

I made up a rib rub with some of the chipotles and assorted spices - the chipotles are excellent - really smoky and flavourful. The ribs came out lovely as well. I hot smoked them for 4 hours over cherry wood, then served them with the Billy Be Damned BBQ sauce on the side. Nice sauce too - not as hot as I thought it would be though, but very tasty indeed.

I also did a couple of pounds of chicken wings with the Anchor Bar Suicidal Wing sauce. Again - that's a tasty sauce but not as hot as I though it would be. I think I like the tang of a mixture of Franks and butter better, but I'll definitely finish off the bottle first.

Then I tried the Holy Jolokia sauce. That's lovely. I thought it would be hotter (can you see a theme developing here?:-)) but the flavour is great. It's got a really full and deep taste that develops as you eat more. Top marks.

I haven't tried the Marie Sharpes sauce yet, or the dried Nagas or Habaneros......although I'm going to plan on some Habanero burgers this coming weekend...
ChileMonkey

Post by ChileMonkey »

I'm a big fan of Louisiana style cayenne sauces, and Frank's is sort of the typical one. I personally prefer the Louisiana "the original" brand, but truthfully all the different varieties of this type of sauce are fairly similar (crystal, louisiana, franks, kroger brand etc etc).

Yes it is vinegary and salty, that is the style and it is perfect for certain applications imo (I love to slather lays potato chips or popcorn with it, make buffalo wings with it, dip sandwiches in it etc). On the other hand I don't use this type of sauce with many foods (especially ethnic foods), because the vinegary taste can overpower and clash with other flavors. Every sauce has its unique applications :P

Tip: If you want more kick and don't want to change the flavor much or pay 2x for the Xtra hot version, add in some of your own cayenne powder. I always add an extra teaspoon or so to the butter cut sauce when I make wings...
Leif
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by Leif »

I bought two bottles at a good price, and I wish I hadn't. It was okay at first, but after using it a while, it is disgusting, mild, salty and vinegary.