Encona Hot Sauce

Anything edible with chilli

Moderators: Kathy, Wilf, chilliman64

TimEdwards

Encona Hot Sauce

Post by TimEdwards »

I bought some of this after hearing both very good and very bad reviews on here as it was cheap and all they had in tesco. I've opened it but not tried it yet as the smell is awful!

Will try on some cheese on toast in a few mins but it has the almight habanero tabasco to compete with.
TimEdwards

Re: Encona Hot Sauce

Post by TimEdwards »

Missed the cheese on toast but I just had some with cheese and crackers and it isn't as bad as first smelt, in fact it tastes EXACTLY like my picked chillies I was also eating with the cheese and crackers. My picked chillies were slightly sweeter but the taste was exactly the same.

Hardly surprising as the sauce smelt very vinegary.

Quite pleased to be honest as I only have 1 picked chilli left so will make a nice dirty pleasure to have with cheese and crackers and the heat is spot on for me.
adm1

Post by adm1 »

It makes a nice chilli mayo too - just mix up with some Hellmans and slather it around....
TimEdwards

Post by TimEdwards »

Ooh good idea.
dustipher

Post by dustipher »

I made a burger sauce last night with 0.5:1 mustard and mayo and a generous splash of encona.. Twas pretty awesome on my burger I tell you!

For me, encona hot pepper sauce is cheap, readily available and helps spice up most of my food, but I will use more genuine (higher quality) sauces out there when I have them in..

£1 for a 100ml bottle of encona from Sainsburys, which is I believe makes encona the cheapest hot sauce on the market!

Edit: new bottles in Sainsburys - new cost is £1.74, but you get more for your money (IIRC it is a 275ml bottle now)
Last edited by dustipher on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
adm1

Post by adm1 »

Nowt to do with Encona, but here's my burger sauce recipe anyway...it's awesome!

Equal parts Hellmans, Franks Yellow Mustard and M&S Chipotle Ketchup (or just ketchup with some chipotle hot sauce)
Plus.....half a dozen cornichons chopped up really fine (or I guess a gherkin would work)
Mix all together and leave the flavours to blend for a few hours in the fridge.
danmon_81

Post by danmon_81 »

76p in Home Bargains!!!!
MightyGusset

Post by MightyGusset »

60p in Te$co !
(And their 'price compare' says it's 71p in Sainsbury's)
danmon_81

Post by danmon_81 »

I've been had!!!!
MightyGusset

Post by MightyGusset »

Te$co price is for a 142ml bottle.
danmon_81

Post by danmon_81 »

ah...i got a 220ml bottle
silvercue

Post by silvercue »

this is my fav shop bought hot sauce.

It has great flavour and will spice up any sarny, burger, soup etc.

I hate the stupid mega-heat sauces and ones that have no flavour - balance is perfect here.
mattydeakin

Post by mattydeakin »

silvercue wrote:this is my fav shop bought hot sauce.

I hate the stupid mega-heat sauces and ones that have no flavour - balance is perfect here.

Try Marie Sharps sauces.
silvercue

Post by silvercue »

mattydeakin wrote:
silvercue wrote:this is my fav shop bought hot sauce.

Try Marie Sharps sauces.
Will do :)
Leif
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by Leif »

I think there are better West Indian sauces, though this is the well known one. Baron are good, though it uses artificial colour, and Busha Browne is nice, slightly sweet due to the use of cane vinegar, and all natural ingredients. I've seen it at Waitrose.
ickyan
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by ickyan »

danmon_81 wrote:76p in Home Bargains!!!!
Where I am that is the price for the 220ml! (50% extra free)

Would have bought a load if it did not contain "modified cornstarch"
Slyboy
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Slyboy »

First post so please be gentle with me! I have been growing chillis the las few years and only just found this forum (what have I been doing!).

Anyway couldn't believe there is a thread to this sauce as it is by far my favourite shop bought chilli sauce. I must get through 10 bottles of the stuff a year, and that's on top of my own chilli sauce I have been making.

I would be interested if anyone has a recipe to make this type of sauce from scratch. I am growing scotch bonnets, fatalii and habeneros this year so should have the right chillis, it's the rest of it I'm struggling with!

Cheers

David
mattydeakin

Post by mattydeakin »

I still can't believe there is still a thread to Encona hot sauce! There are 1000's of hot sauces available and hundreds that are similar to Encona but a hell of a lot better. You just have to do a bit of research!
silvercue

Post by silvercue »

slyboy - check teh recipies section, there may be something in there. I have used a chili chutney recipie from there and it is so good ;)

Can't recall seing a sauce recipe like this, but there may be as I haven't looked at it all.
Slyboy
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Slyboy »

mattydeakin wrote:I still can't believe there is still a thread to Encona hot sauce! There are 1000's of hot sauces available and hundreds that are similar to Encona but a hell of a lot better. You just have to do a bit of research!
Each to their own! :P I have a fridge with the top shelf crammed full of various chilli sauces from hot to nuclear but the one I always come back to is the Encona, as I like the flavour, heat and I can get it locally easily.

One thing I did get from a chilli fair last year that I really like is a fire horse mustard made with v hot chillis and horseradish to give whole grain mustard a right kick!
mattydeakin

Post by mattydeakin »

Try Red Savina Psycho Juice from Dr Burnorium's Hot Sauce emporium and let me know what you think :P
Slyboy
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Slyboy »

mattydeakin wrote:Try Red Savina Psycho Juice from Dr Burnorium's Hot Sauce emporium and let me know what you think :P
Will do, sounds like its got a bit of character! Thanks.
Slyboy
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Slyboy »

Well my couple of bottles of Psycho sauce turned up in the post today so tried it with my tea. Very nice flavour similar to Encona with a bit more heat. The two bottles are not going to last long. Thanks for the heads up.

Impressed, but just wish it was less expensive!
mattydeakin

Post by mattydeakin »

You'll pay the same (sometimes more) for British made sauces that aren't as nice!

Those sauces you bought were made in costs rica from chillis grown out there too. It's the p&p that adds to the cost. £3-4 a bottle of premium sauce is the norm I'm afraid :(

P.s glad you liked it! I'll pass the compliments onto the Dr himself!
Slyboy
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Slyboy »

mattydeakin wrote:You'll pay the same (sometimes more) for British made sauces that aren't as nice!

Those sauces you bought were made in costs rica from chillis grown out there too. It's the p&p that adds to the cost. £3-4 a bottle of premium sauce is the norm I'm afraid :(

P.s glad you liked it! I'll pass the compliments onto the Dr himself!
Absolutely. No problem with the price per bottle, but to pay almost as much for postage seemed a bit much so I though I'd order 2 bottles and pay for the single postage but I had to pay double the postage! Still happy with the sauces though. It would be great if you can pass on the compliments that would be great. I'm sure I'll get some more once these are used up.