Encona Hot Sauce

Anything edible with chilli

Moderators: Kathy, Wilf, chilliman64

superhotclerks

Re: Encona Hot Sauce

Post by superhotclerks »

after getting bored with tesco dried chilllis wifey just brought a bottle of this home nice taste/heat which fades after a 1-3mins only burning the front of tounge too but 30mins later still have a nice and a suprising bonnet burp aftertaste, anybody got a straw :lol:
Naga Dave

Post by Naga Dave »

Slyboy wrote:First post so please be gentle with me! I have been growing chillis the las few years and only just found this forum (what have I been doing!).

Anyway couldn't believe there is a thread to this sauce as it is by far my favourite shop bought chilli sauce. I must get through 10 bottles of the stuff a year, and that's on top of my own chilli sauce I have been making.

I would be interested if anyone has a recipe to make this type of sauce from scratch. I am growing scotch bonnets, fatalii and habeneros this year so should have the right chillis, it's the rest of it I'm struggling with!

Cheers

David
I've used this one from Chili World:

4 chilli peppers, cleaned and finely chopped
juice of one Lemon
3 cloves of garlic, minced
one tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley, (optional)
one tablespoon Paprika
4 tablespoons of Olive Oil
1 teaspoon Salt

Remove stems and seeds from peppers - take the necessary precautions when handling hot peppers.
Grind and mix all ingredients to a fine paste by hand or use a blender or food processor. If you want to go hotter add ground cayenne pepper of pepper flakes to taste. Cook in a hot frying-pan for a few minutes.
Store in a sterilized jar in the refrigerator. The flavour will develope over the following week.

It's the base of a piri piri sauce but I add all of the small left over scotch bonnets I grow (up to 30).
Ridiculously hot but very nice.
Leif
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by Leif »

I picked up a bottle of this recently, having run out of chilli sauce. I last had it ages ago, and I thought it was okay. Well, it is extremely unpleasant. remove the cap and you are greeted by a vile smell of acetic acid. It has a good heat, but there is a very unpleasant acetic acid taste that destroys what would otherwise be a nice habanero flavour. Why save a few pennies using acetic acid instead of cane vinegar? Avoid.
JezzerBell
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by JezzerBell »

SWMBO bought me a bottle of this as a 'gift' (£1 for a 220ml size). Just tried it for the 1st time (teaspoon).

Initial smell was not too encouraging I must say - very acidic fumes! Taste was surprisingly good though - nothing complex, pretty straight forward 'no thrills' Chilli-mash type product. The Habanero flavour came through 'loud & clear' with a nice burn (not too hot for me!).

There's really too much of a vinegary after-taste for my ideal palate but I can live with that.

IMHO it's probably a sauce to add to a sauce if you know what I mean!

I think it's exceptionally good value for £1!
wurge

Post by wurge »

I cant stand the stuff!
JezzerBell
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by JezzerBell »

Whatever its cost, this sauce is definitely not good value for you then Wurge! :lol:
wurge

Post by wurge »

JezzerBell wrote:Whatever its cost, this sauce is definitely not good value for you then Wurge! :lol:
Haha, no - I can see why people like it, but just not for me!
Ben123
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Ben123 »

wurge wrote:
JezzerBell wrote:Whatever its cost, this sauce is definitely not good value for you then Wurge! :lol:
Haha, no - I can see why people like it, but just not for me!
:lol: I love this stuff. It's kind of what fueled my chilli-lust! I'd always liked spicy food, but I was brought back a bottle of hot sauce from mexico by my sister. It tasted amazing, nothing like the usual hot sauce or chillis I'd bought from the supermarket. So I finished it up (mostly slathered on egg butties) and was distraught. I bought a load of hot sauces from the supermarket trying to find the flavour and finally found it with the West-Indian sauces (I think it was the Econa brand)! I didn't know about the different tastes different Capsicum species had till I joined this site and found out it's the chinense taste I love, annums/fructescens being my only previous experience.
Daytrader
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Daytrader »

I like it, i use on salads to heat up.
JezzerBell
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by JezzerBell »

Used a spoonful of this in a spag-bol that the wife & I consumed this evening. Gotta say I'm pretty impressed with the rich & spicy flavour this added to the meal.
Slyboy
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Slyboy »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes it. I got shot down in flames when I said it was nice!

Now I make my own version of it.
wurge

Post by wurge »

Slyboy wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes it. I got shot down in flames when I said it was nice!

Aims and fires!
ronniedeb
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by ronniedeb »

Slyboy wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes it. I got shot down in flames when I said it was nice!

Its not a bad sauce at all. I agree. Then again, there are very few chilli sauces that I would turn my nose up at. :lol:
Guilty Biscuit

Post by Guilty Biscuit »

Enconda definately looks the part of a hot pepper sauce. The honest consistency and colour along with the few chilli seeds remaining in the sauce give the impression that it’s a recipe trying to remain close to it’s roots. For me though it always used to disappoint in terms of taste. The first few times I tried it, the taste of vinegar overwhelmed all of the other flavours.

Like many things though I can attest that Enconda is definitely an acquired taste. I’ve recently come to enjoy the fruity flavours which were previously masked by vinegar.

I couldn’t find any info on it’s scovile rating – as a guideline it’s hotter than tabasco but milder than the average finger chilli (even the ‘extra hot’ enconda hot sauce).

Recommend as a dipping sauce, marinade or try adding to salsa for a fruity and spicy twist.