X-Hot Reggae Reggae Sauce

Anything edible with chilli

Moderators: Kathy, Wilf, chilliman64

Leif
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

X-Hot Reggae Reggae Sauce

Post by Leif »

I wouldn't normally have bought this, but it is currently on offer at my lcoal Sainsburys for £1 a bottle, so I picked up 2 bottles. I thought it would be commercial over hyped and bland. Anyway, I've just had dinner (baked fish, boiled rice and veg) with two teaspoons of sauce, and my mouth is still burning. :shock: This stuff is hot. I could not eat a teaspoon full, whereas I could easily down a teaspoon of some West Indian sauces.

It tastes like HP sauce or tomato ketchup i.e. quite sweet and vinegary with tomatoes, but it is very hot. The ingredients are excellent, all good, no artificial additives, flavours or colours, just malt vinegar, sugar, tomato puree, scotch bonnet chillis and spices, and some corn starch as a thickener.

So, if you like tomato ketchup of HP sauce, and you want some heat, you'll like this one. If you want scotch bonnet flavour, well this is not the one to get. I like it, even though it is rather like tomato ketchup. Shame it lacks the C. chinense flavour, but it kicks donkey, as the Americans say. I think it'd go down a treat on sandwiches, although I'd end up sweating and crying.

I do wonder if I am getting soft. I'd be interested to know what other people think. Is it really hot? Have I become an aged wuss? :mrgreen:
Flecam
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Re: X-Hot Reggae Reggae Sauce

Post by Flecam »

Hi Leif

I recently bought this, and it is quite hot. As you say, a lot of jarred sauces and Branded supermarket stuff is a let down, but this certainly packs a punch. I found it quite hard to get, seen it advertised , but was never there. Only bought the 1 bottle, gutted now as it gives that runny nose, sweaty under the eye sort of heat, but quite fruity with it.

If I see it again, will buy it, for a Quid, cant fault it.

Fle
phillyb86
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by phillyb86 »

I've also noticed they have brought out a scotch bonnet sauce
http://www.leviroots.com/product-detail ... uce/10/72/
Leif
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by Leif »

Glad to hear I am not becoming a wimp. I think even for the normal price this is worth buying as it adds some kick to a sarnie, or a quick meal when I can't be bothered to cook properly.