Anything edible with chilli

Moderators: Kathy, chilliman64, Wilf

Flecam
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Morrisons market range of chillis

Post by Flecam »

Hi

I've recently noticed that Morrisons have greatly improved their range of chillis and herbs. They have got large baskets of chillis on display, including Scotch bonnets, cayennes, green finger chillis, birds eye etc. I like the way they have tried to promote fresh chillis, and are between £5 and £8 a kilo. Im currently drying out a few cayennes for a chilli ristra and have had some success and will buy some more to dry as its a quick fix to dried chillis.

They will never beat home grown, but its nice to know you can get some fresh chillis when needed.

Just wish they did fresh curry leaves!!!

Fle
louise
Seedling
Seedling

Re: Morrisons market range of chillis

Post by louise »

you could always grow your own curry leaves, i will be growing some for next year, and I am already growing fresh turmeric this year :P
Flecam
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by Flecam »

louise wrote:you could always grow your own curry leaves, i will be growing some for next year, and I am already growing fresh turmeric this year :P
Id love to Louise, but ive heard they are hard to grow, but id prize one for an indoor plant. Have you grown one yourself? Ive read about people taking cuttings, but not sure how many have succeeded. Whats the best way to grow turmeric and ginger, I take it both are similar. Anyone else grown similar plants? On the topic of the thread. The chillis are cheap and ive dried out loads for curry making and powders/flakes. Cheap to.
louise
Seedling
Seedling

Post by louise »

Growing turmeric is easy, very similar to ginger which i have grown in the past. I use a shallow bulb bowl, the type you would grow indoor hyacinths in, no drainage holes. buried shallowly in the compost and wait for the shoots to appear and water when the compost is dry. Easy peasy. I have not grown curry leaves, but i have grown all sorts of plants throughout the years, mango, guava which i have sold 2year old plants last year and have 3 plants growing this year. Pomegranate, and Tamarind also easy to germinate. Currently also have a Henna plant which you make dye from the leaves and I have cuttings growing. I don't have a problem getting things to germinate, its keeping them alive thats the tough part!
On buying supermarket chillis, i found Tesco ok but recently noticed the quantity in the packets very much diminished. So i tend to buy mass quantities of green chillis which are a mixture of african and indian from the asian shops which you probably pay a £1 to £1-50 a kilo
ronniedeb
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by ronniedeb »

Louise, I'd love to see a photo of how big the Turmeric grows. How much root can you harvest in a season?
louise
Seedling
Seedling

Post by louise »

@ronniedeb, the turmeric I have planted was quite small and my aim was to get it flowering, which hasn't happened yet. I think once it has flowered the new tubers form, so not sure at this stage.
ronniedeb
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by ronniedeb »

Ok. No prob. Will have to do some googling.
Leif
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by Leif »

Isn't tamarind huge? I love the pods, you can get sweet ones, and tamarind and date sauce is lovely.
louise
Seedling
Seedling

Post by louise »

Tamarind grows into a huge tree, but as a small plant it has delicate fernlike branches, I grew it for fun. We eat a lot of Tamarind at home, it comes in a black sticky block, and I took the seeds out and grew them a few years back.
Leif
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by Leif »

Do you know there is sweet tamarind? You can buy the pods, and eat it as a sweet, yummy.

I bought some Scotch Bonnet from Morrisons. I think they were C annuum, definitely not C chinense, as the flavour was wrong. They could be taken to court for misselling.
Festering
Seedling
Seedling

Post by Festering »

Old thread I know. But has anyone tried the scotch bonnets from morisons and found them to be unbelievably hot? Is there another pepper which could be mistaken for a scotch bonnet but closer to a super hot?