Soth Devon Chile Farm Hot Habanero Chile Sauce

Anything edible with chilli

Moderators: Kathy, Wilf, chilliman64

Leif
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Soth Devon Chile Farm Hot Habanero Chile Sauce

Post by Leif »

This is a classic Habanero sauce, made from chiles with some cider vinegar, lemon juice and salt. The flavour is excellent, as per West Indian sauces, and it is fairly hot, on a par with West Indian sauces (Baron, Busha Browne, etc). It comes in a small 100ml bottle costing about £4 and the only criticism I have is that it is very very expensive. I can buy a 250ml bottle of West Indian sause for ~£2, so this sauce is about 5 times more expensive.

Summary: excellent quality traditional hot sauce, but extremely expensive.
Slyboy
Hot Head
Hot Head

Re: Soth Devon Chile Farm Hot Habanero Chile Sauce

Post by Slyboy »

Sound nice, but like you say it's probably easier and cheaper to make your own. That's what I do and then can adjust the temperature (upwards!) to suit.
Leif
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by Leif »

Having had more time to test this one, I think I underrated it. It's a lot hotter than the West Indian sauces in Asian shops, so it is not such bad value, if heat is your bag. As for me, well I like the taste, but I'd prefer less heat.
Kathy
Admin
Admin

Post by Kathy »

I agree with you leif flavour comes first before heat for me, sometimes we get people who want extreme heat sauces so I tell them to go look online, I won't make stuff like that.
Leif
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by Leif »

Yes, there is perhaps a macho element to some hot sauces. If it makes my scalp flush, it's probably too hot. The hottest, such as Da Bomb, usually taste vile anyway, in my view.