Dilita sauces

Anything edible with chilli

Moderators: Kathy, Wilf, chilliman64

Leif
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Dilita sauces

Post by Leif »

I bought a couple of these sauces from Lidl, a Habanero and a piri piri. The ingredients are good, basically vinegar, salt and chillis, plus some natural,flavours, nothing artificial, the only cheat is a natural thickener. They appear to use brewed vinegar, not the industrial acetic acid. The habanero has about 15% pepper, the piri piri has 30% pepper. So not as much pepper as some sauces, but better than most of the high priced junk with fancy labels you see in the supermarkets.

I rather like the habanero, it is quite hot, on a par with Encona, with a much better flavour than Encona, which has a distinct acetic acid taste. West Indian sauces do usually have more pepper in them, and more habanero flavour.

The piri piri is surprisingly hot, with a distinct lemon flavour. It also contains garlic, but it is subtle.

Each bottle cost about £1, and is Encona sized.

I like these sauces, they taste good, the ingredients are good and they are inexpensive. They are not the best sauces I have had, but they are better than most readily available ones. I did expect them to be decent, in my view Lidl foods often taste better than similar products from Waitrose et al.