Blair's Ultra Death Sauce, Dave's Insanity "Ghost Pepper" Sauce, Mad Dog 357 "Ghost Pepper" Hot Sauce

Anything edible with chilli

Moderators: Kathy, chilliman64, Wilf

craig

Blair's Ultra Death Sauce, Dave's Insanity "Ghost Pepper" Sauce, Mad Dog 357 "Ghost Pepper" Hot Sauce

Post by craig »

All great. From Hot Headz.

150 ml, each and all around 1 million scoville units.

Total price including postage and packing for 3x150ml = £27.39

The only downside is that they're quite expensive and pretty small, so only last a week or two each.

So my question is this, what are the more cost effective options for getting your Scoville heat units?
Mustafa Chilli
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Re: Blair's Ultra Death Sauce, Dave's Insanity "Ghost Pepper" Sauce, Mad Dog 357 "Ghost Pepper" Hot Sauce

Post by Mustafa Chilli »

Didn't Mad Dog make one that was 15 million a few years back?
craig

Re: Blair's Ultra Death Sauce, Dave's Insanity "Ghost Pepper" Sauce, Mad Dog 357 "Ghost Pepper" Hot Sauce

Post by craig »

Mustafa Chilli wrote:Didn't Mad Dog make one that was 15 million a few years back?
At 15 million SHU, you're on capsaicin crystals disolved in alcohol. I'd rather not go down the chemistry route and stick with real sauces. So I'm really looking to increase the volume and/or decrease the price.
Heefy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Heefy »

The cheapest way would be to grow or buy some Reapers or other Ultra Hot pods and make your own. You can control the heat, with regular tests and get the quantity you need. There are plenty of recipes on here. Just use your fav pods.
craig

Post by craig »

Heefy wrote:The cheapest way would be to grow or buy some Reapers or other Ultra Hot pods and make your own. You can control the heat, with regular tests and get the quantity you need. There are plenty of recipes on here. Just use your fav pods.
I had considered buying pods to be more expensive than sauces. Perhaps I was wrong.

Am I right in thinking that you can't buy 100 grams of Reaper pods for less than £15?
Leif
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by Leif »

The West Indian sauces from ethnic shops are not as hot, but they are excellent value, and the good ones are pure Habanero pods with some salt and cane vinegar, so they taste really good. I suppose if you want ultra heat, then as said above, buy/grow your own pods, then cook them down with some vinegar and salt. Just make sure you know the number for your local proctologist. Oh, and your psychoanalyst. :lol:
Ben123
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Ben123 »

I've heard good things about these sauces:

http://www.chillisgalore.co.uk/pages/chilli_shop.html

:mrgreen:
craig

Post by craig »

Leif wrote:The West Indian sauces from ethnic shops are not as hot, but they are excellent value, and the good ones are pure Habanero pods with some salt and cane vinegar, so they taste really good. I suppose if you want ultra heat, then as said above, buy/grow your own pods, then cook them down with some vinegar and salt. Just make sure you know the number for your local proctologist. Oh, and your psychoanalyst. :lol:
I've tried Encona Extra Hot recently, but it doesn't really cut it anymore. It lasts one or two days. By taste it's about 100,000 SHU, only one tenth of the mail order sauces in the thread title. Even on discount from local stores at £1, it doesn't work out as cost effective for me. Plus, as you mention, the more you use, the more salt and vinegar you end up adding, whether you like it or not. With the stronger sauces there's a lot less additives per SHU.

I'm putting growing down as a last resort, but I really want to find the zero effort, bottom UK price of as a starting poiunt, for example,

150 mg of 1 million SHU

or

1kg of 1 million SHU.

Once I've priced up my chilli intake, then I'll decide if I should go down the horticulture route.
Last edited by craig on Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
craig

Post by craig »

Ben123 wrote:I've heard good things about these sauces:

http://www.chillisgalore.co.uk/pages/chilli_shop.html

:mrgreen:
The Inferno Hot Sauce looks interesting. The price looks viable, but I suspect it's significantly less than 1 million SHU. I'll see if I can find more information.
Leif
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by Leif »

craig wrote: I've tried Encona Extra Hot recently, but it doesn't really cut it anymore. It lasts one or two days. By taste it's about 100,000 SHU, only one tenth of the mail order sauces in the thread title. Even on discount from local stores at £1, it doesn't work out as cost effective for me. Plus, as you mention, the more you use, the more salt and vinegar you end up adding, whether you like it or not. With the stronger sauces there's a lot less additives per SHU.

I'm putting growing down as a last resort, but I really want to find the zero effort, bottom UK price of as a starting poiunt, for example,

150 mg of 1 million SHU

or

1kg of 1 million SHU.

Once I've priced up my chilli intake, then I'll decide if I should go down the horticulture route.
Encona uses acetic acid which gives an unpleasant taste, many/most other West Indian sauces are much nicer. But, I can't argue with your max Scovilles/£ point. I guess I am lucky, I am happy with modest heat. I recall trying a UK sauce, might have been UK Chilli Farm Habanero sauce, it was much hotter than most, not cheap though and a small jar, so maybe not up to your requirements. Ever thought about rehab? :shock:
Heefy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Heefy »

Hey for £1,000,000 I will sell you a bottle of my Black Mamba Naga sauce! Free postage and packaging. Lol
craig

Post by craig »

Heefy wrote:Hey for £1,000,000 I will sell you a bottle of my Black Mamba Naga sauce! Free postage and packaging. Lol
Thanks for the offer, but I'm looking to maximise Heat per Pound, not minimise it.
craig

Post by craig »

Leif wrote:Encona uses acetic acid which gives an unpleasant taste, many/most other West Indian sauces are much nicer. But, I can't argue with your max Scovilles/£ point. I guess I am lucky, I am happy with modest heat. I recall trying a UK sauce, might have been UK Chilli Farm Habanero sauce, it was much hotter than most, not cheap though and a small jar, so maybe not up to your requirements. Ever thought about rehab? :shock:
I'm not sure I need rehab (yet). It's a complex subject, but as far as I can tell lots of chilli in your diet has a positive health effect, particularly because it reduces the need for salt, fat and sugar to make food taste good.

Let me set a challenge.

I can buy, net 1.05 kg of 1.1 Million SHU sauce for £56.47, so that's £48.9/MillionSHU/KG

Can anyone do better than that in terms of sauce, pods, flakes or powder?

I can find good deals on naga jolokia sauces by the gallon, but I'd rather not buy more than a kilo at once.
Last edited by craig on Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ben123
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Ben123 »

You could maybe mix this stuff in with cheaper chilli sauce

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Best-quality- ... 259ff52499

1kg Oven Dried Naga Jolokia chilli /Ghost Pepper/Bhut Jolokia Powder for ~£50... gotta be a fair few million scovilles in that :mrgreen:

Never bought from them though so can vouch for their product.
craig

Post by craig »

Ben123 wrote:You could maybe mix this stuff in with cheaper chilli sauce

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Best-quality- ... 259ff52499

1kg Oven Dried Naga Jolokia chilli /Ghost Pepper/Bhut Jolokia Powder for ~£50... gotta be a fair few million scovilles in that :mrgreen:

Never bought from them though so can vouch for their product.
I don't know much about how the drying and powdering process concentrates capsaicin, but it looks like an option.

It sounds a bit crazy, but I'm actually leaning towards the gallon of sauce idea after all http://store.davesgourmet.com/ProductDe ... Code=DAGGP

At £81 (+ import costs) for 4.5 kg, it doesn't really matter if I don't get through it all. It'll probably take about 6 months to eat it all, how long should I expect it to last after it's opened?

Likewise, does anyone have any experience of the shelf life of powder or flakes and how they lose heat over time?
Shep
Seedling
Seedling

Post by Shep »

That's the going rate for those sauces unfortunately. Bear in mind they're imported so that sometimes adds a bit, and hotter sauces tend to cost more anyway.

Postage always bumps the price up on mail order. If you put in and order over £100 with Hot Headz you can get free postage. Otherwise find them at a festival.

Not exactly sure what you're after here though. Is it just heat, or heat with flavour?

Not a huge fan of Dave's stuff. Some of the milder ones are ok but the extract kills the hotter ones for me.
Mustafa Chilli
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by Mustafa Chilli »

It'll probably take about 6 months to eat it all, how long should I expect it to last after it's opened?
Shouldn't that be...How long should YOU expect to last after it's opened. :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

Shep wrote:That's the going rate for those sauces unfortunately. Bear in mind they're imported so that sometimes adds a bit, and hotter sauces tend to cost more anyway.

Postage always bumps the price up on mail order. If you put in and order over £100 with Hot Headz you can get free postage. Otherwise find them at a festival.

Not exactly sure what you're after here though. Is it just heat, or heat with flavour?

Not a huge fan of Dave's stuff. Some of the milder ones are ok but the extract kills the hotter ones for me.
I hear what you're saying regarding flavour. Of the three, I'd prefer Blair's. Typically, I'm mixing this in with Madras spices too, so there's a lot of flavour there already. A sauce that carries a lot of it's own flavour is more versatile, but generally I'm really looking to buy SHUs cost effectively.

The main reason that Dave's is looking like a winner at the moment is that the price for the gallon looks very good, but I'm certainly interested in considering other options, if they can compete with that price. Dave's don't seem to sell directly to the UK anyway and I haven't found anyone in the UK who sell the gallon bottles, so it might not even be an option.

If I'm going to be buying in gallons, dropping the capsaicin concentration a little is likely to be a viable option too, perhaps to the 500,000 SHU range, particularly if I can get it for under £50.
Leif
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by Leif »

Regarding shelf life, I've eaten dried home grown cayenne pods that were ~15 years old, they were very good. I expect powder goes off much quicker. Either way it must be kept very dry. Asian shops sometimes sell fresh habaneros, some are very hot indeed, they are easily dried in an oven at 50C or frozen. Of course some are not so hot. Or dried nagas.
craig

Post by craig »

Leif wrote:Regarding shelf life, I've eaten dried home grown cayenne pods that were ~15 years old, they were very good. I expect powder goes off much quicker. Either way it must be kept very dry. Asian shops sometimes sell fresh habaneros, some are very hot indeed, they are easily dried in an oven at 50C or frozen. Of course some are not so hot. Or dried nagas.
As a guide, what sort of price do you usually find habaneros in your local shops?
Leif
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by Leif »

craig wrote:
Leif wrote:Regarding shelf life, I've eaten dried home grown cayenne pods that were ~15 years old, they were very good. I expect powder goes off much quicker. Either way it must be kept very dry. Asian shops sometimes sell fresh habaneros, some are very hot indeed, they are easily dried in an oven at 50C or frozen. Of course some are not so hot. Or dried nagas.
As a guide, what sort of price do you usually find habaneros in your local shops?
I don't. But when I lived in Slough, I could get very hot Ugandan Habaneros much more cheaply than from Tesco et al. I cannot remember the price paid, but I think it was something like 10p each. From experience you have to go to an Asian area e.g. with many Pakistani immigrants. Southall was good too. Chinese shops tend to be no good unless you want small Thai chillis, nice but not your heat levels.
craig

Post by craig »

Leif wrote:I don't. But when I lived in Slough, I could get very hot Ugandan Habaneros much more cheaply than from Tesco et al. I cannot remember the price paid, but I think it was something like 10p each. From experience you have to go to an Asian area e.g. with many Pakistani immigrants. Southall was good too. Chinese shops tend to be no good unless you want small Thai chillis, nice but not your heat levels.
Thanks. Sounds like an option. I can definitely find the right area locally. I've bought batches of Thai chillis there in the past. Drying a few kilograms of 10p Habanero / Scotch Bonnets could work out to be my next step, if I can find them.
Shep
Seedling
Seedling

Post by Shep »

craig wrote:I hear what you're saying regarding flavour. Of the three, I'd prefer Blair's. Typically, I'm mixing this in with Madras spices too, so there's a lot of flavour there already. A sauce that carries a lot of it's own flavour is more versatile, but generally I'm really looking to buy SHUs cost effectively.

The main reason that Dave's is looking like a winner at the moment is that the price for the gallon looks very good, but I'm certainly interested in considering other options, if they can compete with that price. Dave's don't seem to sell directly to the UK anyway and I haven't found anyone in the UK who sell the gallon bottles, so it might not even be an option.

If I'm going to be buying in gallons, dropping the capsaicin concentration a little is likely to be a viable option too, perhaps to the 500,000 SHU range, particularly if I can get it for under £50.
SHU is a measure of just the heat. If that's all you're after you're probably better going down the extract route.

Have a look at Grim Reaper. He does a range of good quality oleoresins that have a bit less of the metallic taste you usually get with extracts. http://www.grimreaperfoods.com/index.ph ... ry&path=68

There are a lot of good sauce producers here in the UK producing a wide range of heat levels. Possibly one of them may be able to supply in larger quantities?
craig

Post by craig »

Shep wrote:SHU is a measure of just the heat. If that's all you're after you're probably better going down the extract route.

Have a look at Grim Reaper. He does a range of good quality oleoresins that have a bit less of the metallic taste you usually get with extracts. http://www.grimreaperfoods.com/index.ph ... ry&path=68

There are a lot of good sauce producers here in the UK producing a wide range of heat levels. Possibly one of them may be able to supply in larger quantities?
I haven't seen a cost effective extract, so I don't really see a place for it. It seems like a novelty purchase to me.
Shep
Seedling
Seedling

Post by Shep »

craig wrote:
Shep wrote:SHU is a measure of just the heat. If that's all you're after you're probably better going down the extract route.

I haven't seen a cost effective extract, so I don't really see a place for it. It seems like a novelty purchase to me.
It's place is to add heat in a measured amount.

I'm not a huge fan of extract as it's difficult to hide the taste however.