Patak's Chilli pickle

Anything edible with chilli

Moderators: Kathy, chilliman64, Wilf

Flamethrower
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Patak's Chilli pickle

Post by Flamethrower »

I had a yen for a ginger pickle recently and tried an Ahmed pickle...I ended up tipping the conents into a local dog poo bin it was so bad; not sure why but can only assume the next person along assumed there was one sick puppy about - eitherway I have brand loyality to Pataks as far as pickles go (lime and mango are others I buy on occassion) I am very interested in authentic Indian cusine and this highlights a point I made in the Tabasco review; I like this pickle but it wouldn't work in many contexts; the place I have usually used it is with a home cooked Indian meal. I have successfully mixed a small quanitity in on a unsalted unsweetened peanut butter sandwich but usually on the side of a Indian or a little to finish off the basmati rice

Ingredients as follows : Chilli pepper (49%),vegetable oil ,salt ,ginger ,mustard ,fenugreek ,spices ,acetic acid ,citric acid.

The ginger isn't very obvious if you don't know it's there; I am sure you would note it's absence of course; the mustard and fenugreek are more prominent along with the sharp vinegary edge and the strong saltiness - I think I might find it over salty with a shop bought curry, at home it matches the wider and sometimes lighter palette of flavours I can explore in this cusine over anglicised more generic "curry".

I do find this quite addictive though; I often dip the point of a knife into the jar and pick out bits of green chilli and just nibble them just for that salty sour hot hit and chilli texture.
simon04
Seedling
Seedling

Re: Patak's Chilli pickle

Post by simon04 »

Funny how some pickles can be so disappointing.