Nandos extra extra hot Peri Peri Sauce

Anything edible with chilli

Moderators: Kathy, chilliman64, Wilf

mattydeakin

Re: Nandos extra extra hot Peri Peri Sauce

Post by mattydeakin »

Holy Jolokia is probably one of the best sauces on the market. I think people should fork out at least once and buy some. You won't regret it.

I think a share of the profits go to fund New Mexico State University too.
TomX19

Post by TomX19 »

I found this Nando's XXX sauce to be salty, bitter, not particularly hot, and over-priced. I do like the food in the restaurants though, especially chicken livers. :D
Miko
Seedling
Seedling

Post by Miko »

strangely this "Extra Extra Hot" sauce, available in the supermarkets is far less hot than their "Extra Hot" or "Hot", available in their restaurants. weird that isn't it?
cherrybomb

Post by cherrybomb »

as i've said before...
but it is a bit odd...marketing ploy perhaps? :roll:
Miko
Seedling
Seedling

Post by Miko »

Have you ever known a "supermarket" brand labelled as "hot" to actually be hot?
Seems that the supermarkets think that all their customers are wusses ( or at least the majority are wusses) and they don't want to "burn" them. So to get your brand in the supermarket you have to label it according to the wussy supermarket definition of "hot".

which makes it remarkable that Tesco's are stocking Dave's insanity & ghost pepper ranges - maybe some supermarkets are starting to get it.
cherrybomb

Post by cherrybomb »

Miko wrote:strangely this "Extra Extra Hot" sauce, available in the supermarkets is far less hot than their "Extra Hot" or "Hot", available in their restaurants. weird that isn't it?
yes but the nando sauces are also available in their restaurants, which is where i sampled them & duly found the anomaly between extra hot & extra-extra-hot.
still not hot enough, or as Dave says, tasty enough.the general public will sweat loads though, & think they've just reached the pinnacle of chilli heat.
TomX19

Post by TomX19 »

I tried the aforementioned Dave's Insanity Ghost Pepper sauce today, as a colleague brought some in. Frankly, it was vile. A bitter salty taste was followed by an admittedly very hot (and quite unpleasant) burn and an episode of hiccups. I had horrible epigastric pain for about half an hour afterwards and a nasty taste in my mouth.
cherrybomb

Post by cherrybomb »

[quote="TomX19"]epigastric pain

ooohhh, matron! :lol:
well, at least you didn't pay 5 & a half quid for the bottle!
Meths

Post by Meths »

TomX19 wrote:I tried the aforementioned Dave's Insanity Ghost Pepper sauce today, as a colleague brought some in. Frankly, it was vile. A bitter salty taste was followed by an admittedly very hot (and quite unpleasant) burn and an episode of hiccups. I had horrible epigastric pain for about half an hour afterwards and a nasty taste in my mouth.
my taste buds must be knackered because i found it sweet and tasty :oops:
dell boy

Post by dell boy »

i have a nando's about ten minutes from where i live it is probably one of the nicer places to eat within walking distance and you are all right the xxxhot sauce is nowhere near hot enough. me and the missus went for a meal one night when the food landed on the table i proceeded to pull out a bottle of the home made sauce packed full of naga's,bhut's,chocolate and red habs and full of flavor never leave home without it when i started to get strange looks from other dinners after a few minutes of convincing i had a few mouths burning and hopefully have shown these people there is light at the end of the tunnel and there is better out there.
Naga Dave

Post by Naga Dave »

I buy the hot nando's version from Sainsbury's and really like it.
It ain't that hot but tastes great.
I find that when I eat at Nando's their hottest sauce is actually the garlic piri one.

I make my own using scotch bonnets. You can imagine the kick that gives!
Maniac

Post by Maniac »

I just had lunch at work...we decided to judge the two Nando's sauces with my work colleague:
- Nando's Extra Hot Peri-Peri Sauce (X)
- Nando's Extra Extra Hot Peri-Peri Sauce (XX)

Taste wise they are almost the same, the XX has a bit more cayenne taste to it while the X seems to be more citrusy.

Heat wise the X seems hotter(!!), the burn is not too strong but quite nice and heats the whole mouth while the XX gives a more burning sensation on your tounge and throat. If you expect "Extra Hotness" you will be disappointed.

Taste wise they are both nice with grilled chicken or fish, and might work well as a marinade. Very citrusy and quite sharp, but no overpowering vinegar like in some caribbean sauces. Don't think those two would be a nice "goes with everything" sauce.

Worth a try...if you don't have to pay for the whole bottle.

Not really to my pallate.

Overall rating for both sauces: 6/10
maddogchilli

Post by maddogchilli »

I eat nando sauce with mostly everything.
cherrybomb

Post by cherrybomb »

i went into a Nando's the other day (Glasgow) & walked out.it was full, probably of folk thinking they were gonna taste the hottest food they'd ever eaten ( & prob ever will!! :lol: ).
so went to the German Christmas market instead.fried potatoes with ham & onions, sauerkraut & spit-roasted pork.
must admit, it's the first time i've missed a chilli-based meal-absolutely wonderful (or should that be "wunderbar"??) & there was loadsa food, all for 6.50.
xtine

Post by xtine »

i like the flaver of the nandos sauces an have been given them all but yeah extra extra hot is mild in my book
MightyGusset

Post by MightyGusset »

Miko wrote:Have you ever known a "supermarket" brand labelled as "hot" to actually be hot?
Seems that the supermarkets think that all their customers are wusses ( or at least the majority are wusses) and they don't want to "burn" them. So to get your brand in the supermarket you have to label it according to the wussy supermarket definition of "hot".
It's because they use 'Focus Groups' and 'Taste Panels' who effectively formulate corporate policy.
Now, what happens if you get a random committee of people and ask them to agree on anything ?
Answer : You get a compromise that doesn't really satisfy anyone, but that nobody really objects too much to.

Hence, Supermarket Strength 'Extra Extra Hot' Peri Peri Sauce, really isn't that hot at all, and is pretty bland flavoured.
It's aimed at folk who really don't want 'Extra Extra Hot' but might occasionally want to appear 'daring'.
It's Ok, but it's not for Chilli Heads.
mattydeakin

Post by mattydeakin »

I'm just glad I live near a hot sauce "supermarket" :mrgreen:
dell boy

Post by dell boy »

hot sauce supermarket? why dont they have any round my way. whats the name of this shop?does it have a web site?
gt4ever
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by gt4ever »

dr burnorium hot sauce emporium. mmmmmm its about the only reason to live in that part of the world. :P :arrow:
mattydeakin

Post by mattydeakin »

Yup Dr.B's is the place to be :mrgreen:
RobWalker

Post by RobWalker »

I find it's great mixed with mayonnaise - makes a much tastier, zingy mayo with a bit of heat for things like chips :)
Harveydog01

Post by Harveydog01 »

went in Nando's about a year ago in the O2 and after having the extra extra hot sauce (that I thought was mild BTW) orderd my chicked extra hot, and it nearly blew my head off! I was very impressed. Next time I went I got extra extra hot again and it was mild like the sauce :cry:

not much consistancy
ChileMonkey

Post by ChileMonkey »

chugo wrote:I'm Portuguese and Nando's "Peri-Peri" sauces are literally a joke. Don't waste your money.
I stayed in Portugal a few years ago and fell in love with piri-piri but can no longer remember brands that I used etc. Could chugo, or any other Portuguese (or otherwise knowledgeable) members suggest better brands and sources for the Portuguese style sauce?

Also, I have had a very difficult time finding piri-piri peppers like the ones the Portuguese use in their food to grow on my own. (I believe it is some version of African birds eye, and possibly related to the Brazilian malagueta). I would really like to grow some with the flavor of the ones I encountered in Portugal. Anybody know a good authentic source?

(the closest I have found seems to be this http://www.twowingsfarm.com/seeds.cfm#Piri%20Piri, but they are open pollinated seeds so I'm not sure they will be what I want... anybody know?)
smirnoff

Post by smirnoff »

not a big fan of this one, dont get me wrong i'm a lover of superhot sauces and i'm a big fan of all the other nandos sauces but this one has a horrid acrid taste.
chilliman64

Post by chilliman64 »

I usually keep a bottle of hot sauce in my travel bag as I have visit rural clients from time to time. recently I was 'out west' and was unfortunately having dinner alone in my motel room and didn't have my travel sauce with me so I went to the local supermarket to see if they had any hot sauces.

I bought a bottle of Nando's XXhot Peri Peri. my opinion of it really hasn't changed, but I did buy it out of desperation as I wanted some burn and that was all I could find. still 3 out of ten.