Hungarian hotwax (C. annum)

What's worth growing or not!

Moderators: Wilf, Ben123, Kathy, chilliman64

taihaku

Hungarian hotwax (C. annum)

Post by taihaku » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:37 pm

I grew a single plant of this from a small B&Q plant. It produced lots of large, surprisingly hot pods.

As you can see above a fairly stout plant with big pods. It didn't grow too high but did well to get to that size quickly and then be very productive. The pods are quite meaty and ideal for stuffing (I use mince with these). These were far hotter than either the B&Q's Jalapeno or the Fresno Supreme

This shot shows the hotwax on the left against B&Q's Jalapeno and Fresno Supreme with a 50p for scale.

Verdict: Easy to grow, great for stuffing and decent bang per buck in terms of production from a pot. I'd probably grow it again for those reasons only.

cereus

Re: Hungarian hotwax (C. annum)

Post by cereus » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:07 am

I have grown this plant the last two years, and find it a great yielder but it is not very hardy to pests. it is the first chili in my green house to succumb to fungi attacks. but aside from that I have lots of large fruits, with somewhat varying heat depending on when they are harvested. They are not as hot as my early jalapeno but I have gotten a few surprises with these beauty's.

Duckboy

Post by Duckboy » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:31 pm

We love our HHW's as they are huge and when mashed into a sauce provide loads of lush red colour!

Normally not too hot but perfect for a mild sauce such as Sweet Chilli.

We also use these as our starting point in our annual chilli eating competion. We had one 'milker' at this years comp on a green HHW! Woosie!!!!

Duckboy.

mrz1988

Post by mrz1988 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:36 am

My uncle who got me into gardening grew these last year. I remember the immature yellow pods being a perfect heat level for grilling up with a good steak. Enough to give you a little chili kick in a big bite without knocking your socks off and grabbing for your beer. The red ones can be quite a bit hotter and have a sweet flavor to them, a tad like a Fresno but not quite as hot.

Duckboy

Post by Duckboy » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:40 pm

Enjoyed a huge harvest of Hungarian Hot Wax today.

Only problem is, one of our deep chest freezers is now half full and thats even before we start main harvesting.

Lovely chillies though.

Duckboy.

cherrybomb

Post by cherrybomb » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:03 pm

IMHO a sometimes much-maligned & underestimated chilli.i grow these each year & will have a decent harvest compared with last season from my two plants.
mixed them with jals (sliced) for pickled chillies which were delicious.love them stuffed & roasted also.

cereus

Post by cereus » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:18 am

Duckboy wrote:Enjoyed a huge harvest of Hungarian Hot Wax today.

Only problem is, one of our deep chest freezers is now half full and thats even before we start main harvesting.

Lovely chillies though.

Duckboy.
I newer frees my chilies, I dry them. the HHW is easy to dry and ewen better to smoke.

ChiliChile

Post by ChiliChile » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:00 pm

My Hot Waxs are just ripening now, had one tonight in a hot salsa type thing on some pork chops. Yummy! Love the sweet red pepper taste closely followed by the warm glow.

Should have about 30 all in from the plants and one good cropper is tagged for over-wintering.

cherrybomb

Post by cherrybomb » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:54 pm

i had a HHW tonight with my meal & the heat level was nice, as were my pods last season.dunno if growing these in close proximity with hotter varieties makes a difference or not, but these are much hotter than my Hungarian Hot Apples, also grown beside hotties.

Podnuts

Post by Podnuts » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:11 pm

Good one to grow and can be picked from yellow, orange through to red. Sweeter when red and carries a nice heat.

Our pod picture for the year (you need a good sized screen to see the whole pic - sorry about that).

More pod pics here http://www.facebook.com/wiltshirechillies

Cheers

J

Roestigraben
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Roestigraben » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:22 pm

Could someone confirm, is the Hungarian Hot Wax the same as a Hot Banana?
Thx

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliJez » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:34 pm

Roestigraben wrote:Could someone confirm, is the Hungarian Hot Wax the same as a Hot Banana?
Thx
It's my understanding that they're the same and several internet sources seem to confirm it.
Incidentally I ordered Hungarian Yellow Wax from Simpson's Seeds one year and was sent Hot Wax. Apparently they're the same also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_pepper

madcat

Post by madcat » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:40 pm

I grew these last year,love them to eat raw in salads. have 4 plants this year

Leif
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Leif » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:48 pm

I love these. They can be eaten raw when ripe, and have a mild bite. The problem is that because they are so mild, they can be eaten quickly, and they do not last. So maybe one to grow lots of.

Palendrone
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Palendrone » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:53 am

Now I thought I was dreaming last year when my hungarian hot wax were hot as heck - talking a good 50k SHU + given a bit if chilli experience, seeing as these seeds came from South Devon Chilli Farm and the scotch bonnets I sowed have turned out to be friars hat, do you reckon mine have been crossed with something?

Anyhow I tried this years first ripe one and crikey almighty it was beyond peppy!!!

sn00p

Post by sn00p » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:42 am

Glad I'm not the only one!

My seeds came from SDCF and I picked the first ripe hot wax (orange heading towards red) at the weekend and it was *hot*. Much hotter than the jalapeños that I picked, and these were the hottest jalapenos I've had in a while. (Wasn't just me who thought that, the wife and daughter agreed!)

The Hot Wax was noticibly hotter than the Jalapeno. Didn't seem that much milder than the ring of fire we had at the weekend.

I liked the flavour of the pod too, I had it on cheese on toast (I seem to mention this everywhere on here at the moment!) and it was lovely.

I will definitely be growing these again next year!

Flecam
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Flecam » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:35 pm

sn00p wrote:Glad I'm not the only one!

My seeds came from SDCF and I picked the first ripe hot wax (orange heading towards red) at the weekend and it was *hot*. Much hotter than the jalapeños that I picked, and these were the hottest jalapenos I've had in a while. (Wasn't just me who thought that, the wife and daughter agreed!)

The Hot Wax was noticibly hotter than the Jalapeno. Didn't seem that much milder than the ring of fire we had at the weekend.

I liked the flavour of the pod too, I had it on cheese on toast (I seem to mention this everywhere on here at the moment!) and it was lovely.

I will definitely be growing these again next year!
Sounds like I had the same seeds as you guys from SDCF. It was a present from the in-laws for Christmas. Only planted the Ring of Fire and Jalapenos out of the kit. Will definitely give these a go next year as the seed should keep.

Palendrone
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Palendrone » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:19 pm

Yeah the seeds will be fine - I emailed them to stare the scotch bonnets I received are in fact friars hats and the hot wax are much hotter than standard Hungarian hot wax.

Three emails later - no reply, I was sending them the info with batch numbers to be helpful, I certainly won't be giving them my business again if they can't say thanks for the heads up. Crikey they've sold something (2 things) that are incorrect - least they could do is apologise and say thanks...

I do agree that the so called hot wax is a lovely flavour and heat though no matter what it is!

razorfish

Post by razorfish » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:32 am

Haha... I watched your video Palendrone, and guessed that you were a little miffed a SDCF this year....

I've been wondering about the Hot Wax... I've got them too, but as 'hot banana'... I ate quite a few yellow and found them a lovely flavour with a gorgeous warm, slow burn... hot but very manageable. Ate one which was turning orange a couple of days ago and it was much sweeter, without the freshness of the yellow ones... I've got a few of these plants, all with a dozen pods, and I'm inclined to harvest them unripe to give the plant a foliar boost and get the next load of pods growing.

Paul79
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Paul79 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:31 pm

Purchased some of these from SDCF as I want to grow this variety next year. Meant to be a little hotter than a Jalapeño but the heat was unbelievable. I've tried my own Cayenne, Superchilli and Bonnets this year and I'd say it was definitely hotter than the Cayenne. Lovely chilli though.

razorfish

Post by razorfish » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:19 am

Paul79 wrote:Purchased some of these from SDCF as I want to grow this variety next year. Meant to be a little hotter than a Jalapeno but the heat was unbelievable. I've tried my own Cayenne, Superchilli and Bonnets this year and I'd say it was definitely hotter than the Cayenne. Lovely chilli though.
Yes... I was surprised by the depth of heat in these.. really nice slow, sweet smolder though right?... not the acrid fire of many other hot annums..

really great flavour and texture too... excellent raw or cooked, and very versatile...

... I roasted a few yesterday and incorporated them into an arabiata with some superripe tomatoes... lovely warm heat and excellent peperonata flavour

I had a few of these plants .. the fruiting comes in waves, I'm just getting second large crop from some of them now

If I had the space I would grow 20 of these every year, aside from anything else

Paul79
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Paul79 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:50 am

razorfish wrote:
Paul79 wrote:Purchased some of these from SDCF as I want to grow this variety next year. Meant to be a little hotter than a Jalapeno but the heat was unbelievable. I've tried my own Cayenne, Superchilli and Bonnets this year and I'd say it was definitely hotter than the Cayenne. Lovely chilli though.
Yes... I was surprised by the depth of heat in these.. really nice slow, sweet smolder though right?... not the acrid fire of many other hot annums..

really great flavour and texture too... excellent raw or cooked, and very versatile...

... I roasted a few yesterday and incorporated them into an arabiata with some superripe tomatoes... lovely warm heat and excellent peperonata flavour

I had a few of these plants .. the fruiting comes in waves, I'm just getting second large crop from some of them now

If I had the space I would grow 20 of these every year, aside from anything else

Yes it's a nice slow build up heat, manageable and enjoyable. I ate the first one raw which I like to do to get an idea of the heat levels, the flavour and texture of the chilli. I enjoyed the crunchy and juicy casing.

This morning I chopped one up and had it with some cheese on toast, grilled the chilli amongst the cheese, absolutely delightful, less heat which I was expected but perfect all the same.

I will be growing this from seed next year and very much looking forward to it too!

Wilf
Admin
Admin

Post by Wilf » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:03 pm

I have just been sent this link for information on banana peppers
http://www.loyalgardener.com/pick-banana-peppers/