Lemon Drop (C. baccatum)

What's worth growing or not!

Moderators: Kathy, Wilf, chilliman64

taihaku

Lemon Drop (C. baccatum)

Post by taihaku » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:36 pm

I figured add another one a few of us have had a go with.

A hot, citrussy pepper as its name suggests; fruit are genuinely hot (too hot for me to eat raw) but with good initial flavour (there is a burst of bright, citrus flavour at first taste).

The bright yellow fruit are very attractive but I found these to be a really messy droopy medusa's head of a plant. It germinated easily and grew strongly - I got a lot of fruit from a single plant in the end although the plant itself never got very big due to its droopy habit.

I got my seeds from Real Seeds.

taihaku

Re: Lemon Drop (C. baccatum)

Post by taihaku » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:18 am

pods

plant

Wilf
Admin
Admin

Post by Wilf » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:32 pm

Another one we've grown in the NFT hydro over the years, and again this year.

As stated above a very gangly flimsy bush which does need supporting, but has turned out quite largish, 1-2 metres high full of fruit ripening sept/oct time. Lovely citrussy flavour.

Anja

Post by Anja » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:58 pm

If I had to choose only one hot chilli this would be the one because of the fantastic flavour and its versatility.

I have used it successfully in ice cream with both strawberries, blackberries, and chocolate - in sauces/relishes and in fish dishes.

taihaku

Post by taihaku » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:23 pm

I used all my lemon drops to make this salsa:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Foo ... spx?page=2
according to the chap it's a recipe from Peru; used specifically with this variety hence my posting it here. All I know is it's amazing:

taihaku

Post by taihaku » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:17 pm

Interestingly (perhaps) in my overwintering efforts this year, the 2 lemon drops keeled over at the first sign of aphids whereas almost everything else has kicked on. I'm not sure if this is reflective solely of my plants or a varietal weakness but thought it worth mentioning.

endorphine
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by endorphine » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:20 pm

I must be a weirdo! i had 8 plants last year and they produced a good crop and that is when I found out that I do not like the citrus bang that you get, the only thing I think they would be good for is Vodka! won't be growing again! but hey that's what it is like, some like some do not like!
Next season concentrating on habanero's, love the fruity flavour and they have a good heat level + you can't buy them in the shops! I wish you could though! 8) :cry:

chilliman64

Post by chilliman64 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:59 am

I bought some of these seeds from Peppermania but I had some that grew orange but still the same shape.

the plants grew quickly with lots of foliage and produced heavily! I grew several plants in full sun and a couple in half sun and there really was no difference in their output. the pods were fragrant and crunchy with decent heat and a lot of seeds. even though I have eaten hotter chillies I did get a bit of an afterburn, sort of like an acidic stomach from these - got the same from fataliis too, the only two varieties that have done that to me. it was a sort of 'citrusy burny' sensation - not a bhut or hab burn, a bit hard to describe.

these are easy to grow and will produce a lot of hot crunchy lemon-scented pods

benn_wood
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by benn_wood » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:24 pm

Can anyone tell me if these pods start off green and growing upright?

Anja

Post by Anja » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:53 pm

Yes - they do until they are app. 4-6 cm long...

Podnuts

Post by Podnuts » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:20 pm

We've had a super succesful year with the Lemon Drops :) topping over 150-200 pods per plant. I find they are quite vine like and need a lot of staking, they also reached an impressive height at well over 1meter.

Our pod picture for the year (you need a good sized screen to see the whole pic - sorry about that).

More pod pics here http://www.facebook.com/wiltshirechillies and a few on our website http://www.justchillies.co.uk

Cheers

J

wackojacko
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by wackojacko » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:46 pm

After reflection on my season i would say that they my favorite allrounder,Added to the fact they always give me my best and healtheist crop!

peterpiper

Post by peterpiper » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:23 pm

I find conflicting replies about this particular variety. Is Lemon Drop a different name for, or a relative of AJI Limon? I grew one palnt of the latter this year (from bought seed) and it was exceptionally productive and grew into quite a large plant ( 60+ inches) which produced the typical longish yellow pods, with a distinct citrus flavour, but with only moderate heat. I would certainly grow this again, but I am wondering if the exceptionally poor summer which we has in North Cumbria was responsible for the lack of heat in fully ripened pods? This was also apparent in my other plants, including the chinenses, though some of these were still hot enough to require rubber gloves when processing them.

Anja

Post by Anja » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:26 pm

Lemon Drop is exactly the same as Aji Limon....

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliJez » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:18 pm

peterpiper wrote:... but I am wondering if the exceptionally poor summer which we has in North Cumbria was responsible for the lack of heat in fully ripened pods? This was also apparent in my other plants, including the chinenses....
I'm amazed at how little heat there has been in any of my chillies this year. The first year I've grown Bhut Jolokia and 7 pot and they're not scary at all. My Lemon Drops have a pleasant warmth but no real burn. Cross your fingers and hope for next year. :roll:

Ben

Post by Ben » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:15 pm

Lemon Drops are a firm favourite in our household - really productive plants although, as others have said, the ones I grew this year were not as hot as previous years... lack of light / heat perhaps?

Make a really nice powder as well as flavouring a friend's Damson Port to give it that extra little kick :)

peterpiper

Post by peterpiper » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:53 pm

Although most of my aji limons were fully ripe when I picked them, but slightly lacking in their normal heat, these seem to have become slightly hotter when kept for a while after picking. When I cut back my plant for hibernation I still had about 20 fully grown but still green pods, which I put into a plastic bag, together with a very ripe banana. After about a month 80% of these now appear to be fully ripe , though the banana is almost totally rotten and will shortly be replaced with another very ripe one.

There are various fruits, such as bananas, pears etc. which are reputed to aid the ripening process, but do the gases which they give off increase with their own ripeness, or would the result be the same if I used unripe ones?

Kieran

Post by Kieran » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:59 am

Defo my favourite chilli to date,
Lovley flavour

robr

Post by robr » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:17 pm

It looks like a bit of a nightmare of a plant - all over the place!

Does anyone know of a similar plant that produces a more mild-medium heat but with the same/similar citrus side of things?

Ben123
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Ben123 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:43 pm

Criolla Sella is similar and tasted milder to me.

Flecam
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Flecam » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:32 pm

I got sent a few Lemon drop pods by Ozricle. Will definitely be on my grow list next year. The plants look a bit gangly, but after tasting a couple of pods in a pasta dish they have a clean, warm citrussy flavour. Eating a slice raw, it had a quick citrus, fresh taste and a quick burn to the front of the toungue. When swallowed, it immediately burnt the back of my throat, but not unpleasantly.

The warmth lasted about 3-5 minutes and didnt leave the acrid taste most similar Cayennes do.

As said, will be on my grow list next year as they are a better tasting variety than some cayennes.

Leif
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Leif » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:43 pm

I've grown these a couple of times over the last 15 years, and I have an overwintered plant from last year, bought from the local garden centre as most of my plants failed due to the rains. I am not keen on the taste, they are not lemony to me, and they are hot, but the flavour is a bit so so. Still, the plant is very productive and easy to grow, and tolerant of cold. As said by others, they are very gangly. I think a Cayenne is a better bet, similar size and heat, but easier to grow and better flavour.

I have tried a number of baccatums, some are not very tasty, but a large long orange one was nice, might be Aji Crystal, not hot, but tasty.

JezzerBell
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by JezzerBell » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:15 pm

For me these are really great: pretty hot (but not overly), citrus-taste burst (lemon & lime like), easy to grow & very prolific.

Plants are very 1) 'Vine like' & 2) 'Tall' therefore staking & supporting the branches is pretty essential (I used 3 x bamboo canes!).

Try a ripe pod 'finely chopped' & then added into 'baked fish' dishes i.e. cook/bake the fish for 15-mins, open the foil, smell the 'spicy fresh citrusy' aroma & 'tuck in'!
8)

Flamethrower
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Flamethrower » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:42 pm

Like a lot of people I really like this chilli; found it's flavour is sort of less adaptable than say a hab which goes with anything pretty much but when the lemon aji goes with something it really goes!
Took some down to my mum to show her; split one open and said look it smells lemony and she said 'ooh it smells like blackcurrant" - hand' thought of that but she is actually right.

rghm1u20
Seedling
Seedling

Post by rghm1u20 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:09 pm

Really nice for jelly. Probably for a jam too, will try maybe in 2017.