Madame Jeanette (C. Chinense)

What's worth growing or not!

Moderators: Wilf, chilliman64, Kathy

Post Reply
User avatar
nickdu
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru
Posts: 522
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:18 pm
Location: north somerset

Madame Jeanette (C. Chinense)

Post by nickdu » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:12 pm

Nice plant grows to approx 3 feet and produces masses of medium hot fruity pods
Image
Young plant.
Image
Masses of light green unripe pods pods.
Image
Image
Pods grow to a good size.
Image
Not to seedy when ripe.

User avatar
trident
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru
Posts: 764
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:24 pm
Location: Tadley, North Hampshire

Re: Madame Jeanette (C. Chinense)

Post by trident » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:08 pm

Another great named chilli - Nick great looking pods and your photo's do them justice .... do all the pods have so few seed and what was their germination rate like ...

User avatar
nickdu
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru
Posts: 522
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:18 pm
Location: north somerset

Re: Madame Jeanette (C. Chinense)

Post by nickdu » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:23 pm

trident wrote:Another great named chilli - Nick great looking pods and your photo's do them justice .... do all the pods have so few seed and what was their germination rate like ...
Ive only looked at my first 3 ripe pods Trident and all 3 only had a few seeds.I dont see this as a problem as the plant
produces so many pods.Germ rates were very good.

hankwang

Re: Madame Jeanette (C. Chinense)

Post by hankwang » Sun May 31, 2015 5:44 pm

I'm bumping up this old review that I stumbled upon. Those pods don't look like Madame Jeannette to me, nor does the description "medium hot". MJs are about half as thin, and much more wrinkly (the name refers to their look "like an old woman"). They should have around 200,000 SHU heat levels; I'd call that "very hot" as in "one step below superhot".

The shops catering for people from Suriname and India over here (Netherlands) sell them in large amounts; apparently it is a species/variety that is highly productive. They say it's very flavorful, but I think they taste too 'green'. That could be because they are shipped halfway around the world and were possibly picked while not fully ripened.

Over here, they are often confused with adjuma peppers, but your ones look too big to be adjumas, unless you have very small hands. And they would also be 200,000 SHU.

User avatar
ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru
Posts: 2320
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: Peckham, London

Re: Madame Jeanette (C. Chinense)

Post by ChilliJez » Sun May 31, 2015 9:22 pm

hankwang wrote:I'm bumping up this old review that I stumbled upon. Those pods don't look like Madame Jeannette to me, nor does the description "medium hot". MJs are about half as thin, and much more wrinkly (the name refers to their look "like an old woman"). They should have around 200,000 SHU heat levels; I'd call that "very hot" as in "one step below superhot".

The shops catering for people from Suriname and India over here (Netherlands) sell them in large amounts; apparently it is a species/variety that is highly productive. They say it's very flavorful, but I think they taste too 'green'. That could be because they are shipped halfway around the world and were possibly picked while not fully ripened.

Over here, they are often confused with adjuma peppers, but your ones look too big to be adjumas, unless you have very small hands. And they would also be 200,000 SHU.
Interesting post HW. I was asking about true Madame Jeanette here. Incidentally "one step below superhot" to you or me is probably just "medium hot" to Nickdu. He's the guy responsible for the 1,000,000+ SHU Katy and Lucy varieties.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15937&p=183355&hili ... te#p183355

It sounds like you know a lot more than we do. Do you have seeds to swap or share? :P

hankwang

Re: Madame Jeanette (C. Chinense)

Post by hankwang » Sun May 31, 2015 11:07 pm

The first time I tried to grow my own peppers was in 2012. I had seeds from store-bought Madame Jeannettes; they all died during a spell of hot weather without watering. I know MJ's mainly because that's what I started with and it's one of the very few very-hot peppers that you can buy in the stores over here. I doubt that I know more than most people active in forum sites like this... :)

User avatar
ronniedeb
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru
Posts: 1754
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:31 am
Location: Galway, Ireland

Re: Madame Jeanette (C. Chinense)

Post by ronniedeb » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:15 pm

I've seen photos (especially on thehotpepperforum) of a much more wrinkly looking Madame Jeanette, like hankwang suggests. Something like this:
http://heliotricity.com/images/chile_pe ... 00x581.jpg

Rosh
Chilli Head
Chilli Head
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:18 pm
Location: Surrey

Re: Madame Jeanette (C. Chinense)

Post by Rosh » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:14 am

ronniedeb wrote:I've seen photos (especially on thehotpepperforum) of a much more wrinkly looking Madame Jeanette, like hankwang suggests. Something like this:
http://heliotricity.com/images/chile_pe ... 00x581.jpg
I am late to the party on this, and inexperienced, but the picture you've linked looks like a Goronong to me, wheras Madame Jeanette looks like the OP picture. I'm only going by what I've seen on my quest to decide what to grow next year, so I could be mistaken.

User avatar
ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru
Posts: 2320
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: Peckham, London

Re: Madame Jeanette (C. Chinense)

Post by ChilliJez » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:14 am

Rosh wrote:
ronniedeb wrote:I've seen photos (especially on thehotpepperforum) of a much more wrinkly looking Madame Jeanette, like hankwang suggests. Something like this:
http://heliotricity.com/images/chile_pe ... 00x581.jpg
I am late to the party on this, and inexperienced, but the picture you've linked looks like a Goronong to me, wheras Madame Jeanette looks like the OP picture. I'm only going by what I've seen on my quest to decide what to grow next year, so I could be mistaken.
Hi Rosh. Check the link in this post. I think there's some evidence, there and elsewhere, that Mme Jeannette is wrinkly (as is Goronong) and the smooth pods from Suriname are actually Adjoema (various spellings) not Mme Jeanette.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15937&p=183355&hili ... te#p183355

User avatar
ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru
Posts: 2320
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: Peckham, London

Re: Madame Jeanette (C. Chinense)

Post by ChilliJez » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:28 am

Here's the text from that link, given google transtate treatment :roll: No pics. Sorry.FWIW :P
There are so many and various false peppers Madamme named Jeannette, even at official seed businesses that might want agrees to clarify what is a Madamme Jeannette and what distinguishes it from other peppers.

Right: Madamme Jeannette; yellow, very wrinkled and dented, oblong

And what a Madamme Jeannette knows I really do not know myself, but learned in recent years about the Madamme Jeannette a Surinamese garden neighbor, she has a greenhouse filled with Madammen and has shown me what it is and how it looks. And I also had the true seeds of her - very happy. You do not have to arrive at a Surinamese with a Madamme Jeannette who is not; they see it, they smell it, they just know :-)

The Madamme Jeannette is often confused with the Aji Umba, also Adzjoemba, Ajoema, Ojemma called Ajoemba. The same color (about then) but still quite different. In addition, there Aji Umba also red peppers (red and yellow Aji Aji Umba Umba so). The Madamme Jeannette is always yellow, red Madammen not exist!

The Aji Umba:

hotter
warmer yellow
more rounded shape
less
has more seeds
less aromatic

The Madamme Jeannette:

less hot
but much warmer and spicier flavor
often only four or five seeds per pepper (but not always!)
greater pepper Madamme Jeannette plant
and
especially oblong
more wrinkled, gewrinkled and in dissimilar shapes
lighter and brighter yellow

Well, the pictures you can already see the difference. The Madamme Jeannette belongs to the group of Capsicum chinense, like Aji Umba, incidentally, they are so closely related. As notorious as they would have them is not less hot than Aji Umba but even spicier and especially fruitier. Or harder to find, too. She would be named after a famous Surinamese prostitute but whether that is true, I would not know.

Is it really important to know the difference? Well, maybe not, not for us, but our neighbor Suriname has let me taste different snacks. In every dish they make is used a Aji Umba or Madamme, never together, and each dish has a preference of one of the two peppers.

Where Aji Umba is mainly used to make dishes very spicy, the Madamme is used to give a dish both pit as a special aroma. My garden neighbor makes Surinamese example sambal with onion and potato, a sambal with onion and cumin, or a "snack"; a mixture of chickpeas, garlic, cumin, tomato, onion and Madamme, they used it much in preserves, etc. If only much hotness is needed and there are already many other spices are used in a dish (such as roti) is correct more often Aji Umba used.
Itself this year even done a test and (I had no Aji Umba) a Scotch Bonnet Yellow Burkina and Madamme Jeannette cut open. The Burkina smells quite heavy, very spicy and almost smoky. Besides her smell the Madamme almost light; a bit but clearly less spicy but doubly so fruity; in the distance from mango, pineapple, etc. I think it's a very tasty flavor (although I found the Burkina nice enough, but different.

If there is sometimes a Madamme Jeanette be asked in an authentic recipe, then you know what to look for to recognize the only real Madamme. If you are looking for her - the chance that you will find it is greatest in a market where many people come and Surinamese in Suriname tokos.

Rosh
Chilli Head
Chilli Head
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:18 pm
Location: Surrey

Re: Madame Jeanette (C. Chinense)

Post by Rosh » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:03 pm

Ah, O.K, thanks for the clarification, ChilliJez! I was going by what I'd seen on http://www.semillas.de , which is the same place discussed in the thread you linked me. My mistake!

User avatar
ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru
Posts: 2320
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: Peckham, London

Re: Madame Jeanette (C. Chinense)

Post by ChilliJez » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:13 am

Rosh wrote:Ah, O.K, thanks for the clarification, ChilliJez! I was going by what I'd seen on http://www.semillas.de , which is the same place discussed in the thread you linked me. My mistake!


No worries Rosh. Meatfreak/Tasty Peppers has MJ listed with a picture that looks fairly wrinkly. I keep meaning to message him to ask about the source. The semillas de palma pic puts me off buying t.his specific variety from him though generally I regard him as being quite thorough and trustworthy. :P

meatfreak
Seedling
Seedling
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Madame Jeanette (C. Chinense)

Post by meatfreak » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:43 pm

ChilliJez wrote:
Rosh wrote:Ah, O.K, thanks for the clarification, ChilliJez! I was going by what I'd seen on http://www.semillas.de , which is the same place discussed in the thread you linked me. My mistake!


No worries Rosh. Meatfreak/Tasty Peppers has MJ listed with a picture that looks fairly wrinkly. I keep meaning to message him to ask about the source. The semillas de palma pic puts me off buying t.his specific variety from him though generally I regard him as being quite thorough and trustworthy. :P
Mine are coming from a grower that took the seeds with him from Suriname. I know what it should look like cause I did a lot of research about it since it's like mentioned above often mixed up with the Aji Umba or Adjoema peppers. Also gets confused with the Goronong from Malaysia which is hotter then an MJ, more wrinkled and often bigger in size. After growing trying to find a good/true strain for over 4 years, I finally found what I was looking for. Yet there are still people that don't agree with me. They also sell them in the supermarkets here but those look more like Goronong. Hope this answers your question?

I believe those from Semillas are Adjoema, Junglerain also offered MJ's that looked like Adjoema.

User avatar
ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru
Posts: 2320
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: Peckham, London

Re: Madame Jeanette (C. Chinense)

Post by ChilliJez » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:29 am

meatfreak wrote:
ChilliJez wrote:
Rosh wrote:Ah, O.K, thanks for the clarification, ChilliJez! I was going by what I'd seen on http://www.semillas.de , which is the same place discussed in the thread you linked me. My mistake!


No worries Rosh. Meatfreak/Tasty Peppers has MJ listed with a picture that looks fairly wrinkly. I keep meaning to message him to ask about the source. The semillas de palma pic puts me off buying t.his specific variety from him though generally I regard him as being quite thorough and trustworthy. :P
Mine are coming from a grower that took the seeds with him from Suriname. I know what it should look like cause I did a lot of research about it since it's like mentioned above often mixed up with the Aji Umba or Adjoema peppers. Also gets confused with the Goronong from Malaysia which is hotter then an MJ, more wrinkled and often bigger in size. After growing trying to find a good/true strain for over 4 years, I finally found what I was looking for. Yet there are still people that don't agree with me. They also sell them in the supermarkets here but those look more like Goronong. Hope this answers your question?

I believe those from Semillas are Adjoema, Junglerain also offered MJ's that looked like Adjoema.
Thanks for that. The picture on your website looked like what I would be looking for but it's reassuring that you were specifically seeking a true variety.

Post Reply