Butch T Trinidad Scorpion

What's worth growing or not!

Moderators: Wilf, chilliman64, Kathy

TJWest

Butch T Trinidad Scorpion

Post by TJWest » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:34 pm

Last year, I grew these babies, got the seeds from a reputable dealer in Germany, Chili Shop 24.

We had bad weather last year in Southern Germany, so it took a very long time to harvest. I planted them on Feb. 10th and got my first pods in November. I did not use artificial light before putting them outside, which is why it took so long. This year I will be putting them under lights. This is a very lovely plant. It got to almost 6 feet tall and almost four and a half wide, with great production. I got 80-100 pods off this one plant. Unfortunately, only one made it from two. The other one was accidentally beheaded as a seedling by my son. The pods are unique in that they ripen from top to bottom almost evenly, until the whole chile is first orangeish, and then fiery red. See pics below. The fruits are so darn hot, you can acutally see the Capsaicin oil drops on the membranes when you cut them open. The skin on the chile is very thin, like a habanero, which makes it an excellent chile for drying in your dehydrator. The heat on these is simply blazing. I am a long time grower of various chinense but these are by far the hottest that I have had in my garden (the Bih Jolokia Yellows were very close). There is not the typical chinense fruity taste, but a nice fresh flavor which quickly turns to burning sensations. There are not a lot of seeds per pod compared to some varieties. It has been a breeze to overwinter it. I had it indoors producing pods until mid-December. I then hacked it down to a 4" stick, put it in the window sill and have watered it every few weeks and it is thriving.

Here it is overwintering with the Bih Jolokias Yellows.

And check out the drops of oil on the inside of the pod! Some of them even squirted it while halving them!!

Edit, fixed links...
Last edited by TJWest on Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

snowy1433
Hot Head
Hot Head

Re: Butch T Trinidad Scorpion

Post by snowy1433 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:49 pm

Hi,

I shall follow your posts with interest. I'm trying to grow Butch T in an unheated propagator placed over a radiator. Success wasn't good with three loops from 10 seeds appearing one of which looks sickly .I've now bought an electric propagator and ordered some more seeds from E Bay to try again.

Phil