7 Pot SR Strain

What's worth growing or not!

Moderators: Kathy, chilliman64, Wilf

Paul79
Hot Head
Hot Head

7 Pot SR Strain

Post by Paul79 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:09 pm

Okay so the first sent pods of the season have arrived.

Dennish kindly sent me:

Which from left to right is Aji Pulsar, Habanero Orange and 7 Pot SR Strain.

Now common sense and suggested by Dennis would be to start with the Aji Pulsar moving onto the Hab and then the 7 pot. Now I'm not one for applying common sense and baring in mind I've only had a HHW pod so far this season, with the exception of curries etc. I decide to pick the 7 Pot SR Strain to start with, I'm ever so sensible....

I haven't saved any of the seeds but once cut open you get that familiar chinense smell which tells you this will hurt. I simply removed the stem and dropped it straight into my mouth. Began chewing the pod, initial burst of sweetness, very nice, no heat at this stage, a floral flavour coming through now wow really good tasting pod, really giving the pod a good munch, the more I chew the more this great flavour is coming through and I begin to forget what will happen sooner rather than later, the flavour starts to fade as the pod is almost gone, I swallow the bits remaining and start to feel the initial burn.

First burn after about 20 seconds in is hitting the tongue, quite aggressive, towards the back of the tongue and the heat is rising. When I say aggressive burn, the easiest way to describe it is when you put something too hot into your mouth and although you remove it, your tongue feels like it's be burned, you get that sensation on your tongue of the surface being bobbly if that makes sense. Heat quickly spreading towards the front of the tongue and attacking the roof of the mouth, the pallet, now at this stage the heat is still rising. The back of the tongue is literally pinging all the senses. Wow, tears are streaming, reaching for the milk, first seriously hot pod of the year. Damn my tongue is really burning quite aggressively I can feel it down in the throat and down towards my stomach, I think this may even hurt me later.... :oops:

I've downed two pints of milk but not much respite, it's peaked in terms of heat, it's not getting hotter but the aggressive nature of the burn is still right up there, eyes streaming, got a bit of a sweat on and my nose is running. Had an initial surge of adrenalin but kept that under control. Really attacks the tongue, all the back of the tongue had a good burn which stayed for around 15-18 mins, its hot, very hot but the burn itself is very aggressive, throat wasn't too bad, it's manageable but you can feel it in your gut, it's like you've eaten something bad.

After about 30 mins I can still feel some heat on the tongue, really is an impressive level of heat and quite an aggressive attacking chilli. Flavour is really good, no bitterness at all which you can get with the super hots, there is an initial burst of sweetness and then a lovely floral flavour comes through. Great tasting pod that packs a hell of a punch.

Heefy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Re: 7 Pot SR Strain

Post by Heefy » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:03 pm

Brave man. Great review, as always.

Slyboy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Re: 7 Pot SR Strain

Post by Slyboy » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:16 pm

Brilliant Paul, only you can get the perfect feel of the pain and sensation of eating a whole stupid hot chilli!

I have never eaten a whole superhot, a little silver is more than enough to have me crying!

Great review as always.

David