What's worth growing or not!

Moderators: Wilf, chilliman64, Kathy

Paul79
Hot Head
Hot Head

Scotch Bonnet Burkina Yellow

Post by Paul79 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Scotch Bonnet Burkina Yellow:

Quite a deep grooved pod, made me think more Habanero than Scotch Bonnet with the way the pod looks. I removed the stem and cut the pod in half, I eventually removed the seeds because I do like Bonnets and if this was a tasty one, would be worth keeping, if not the seed bank or PTP9 will benefit.

The Pod gave off a strong Chinense aroma, I have to admit, the smell kind reminds me of Habs only not as pungent.

Quite a decent sized pod, popped both halves in and began to chew. Taste wise has that wow factor, sweetness, unbelievable amount of sweetness followed by a lovely rich fruity flavour. Honestly I can't recommend the taste of the pod enough, the sweetness really is quite full on with this, those who aren't fans of sweet pods should stay clear but I happen to like then and this was packed with sweetness and that fruity flavour coming through makes it even better. I actually forgot I was eating a raw chilli.

I chewed for what seemed like a good 30 seconds, just couldn't get enough of that flavour, then I noticed the burn begin, this pod was a creeper, not full on like Habs, so it does differ there at least, thankfully.

Initially it was burning the undersides of the tongue and around the edges before moving on to the top of the tongue and increasing in heat, got to about 90 seconds in and thought ok this isn't going too bad, no tears, no runny nose and no sweating. Then it began ramping up, honestly about the 2 min mark my eyes where streaming, nose a little snotty and my tongue felt like it was ablaze.

No sweating with this pod. Mouth on fire, reaching for milk, gulped it down, tongue reignites after the initial respite and begins to boom again, eyes are just pouring at this stage and its now moved on to the lips. I can't help but laugh in all honesty, took me quite by surprise this pod. I began to feel it in my stomach too but nothing major there, just a slight grumble. I actually go for some yoghurt at around the 5 min mark, honestly the tongue is ablaze, it's quite an aggressive burn once it gets going. I pour the yoghurt on my tongue and feel some relief.

Once the yoghurt is gone the heat has reached its peak, still tingling like crazy but at least its not getting any worse, lots and lots of saliva though, haven't experienced that too many times recently if at all. Nose has stopped now as have the tears but the tongue continues to ping for a number of minutes afterwards.

I'd easily put that as the hottest Scotch Bonnet I've had, for me that was around Habanero heat. My tongue continued pinging the receptors for easily 10 mins after I had finished the pod.

Heat Wise I'd hazard a guess of Habanero level.
Flavour/Taste was unbelievable sweet, fully on sweet flavour with a fruitiness coming through to top it off.
Uses would be definitely in cooking and of course powder.

trident
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Re: Scotch Bonnet Burkina Yellow

Post by trident » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:11 pm

Great write up Paul ... Burkina a hot Scotch Bonnet variant from Burkina Faso in Africa ... 100,000 - 325,000 Scoville ... nice and warm

NapalmNailz
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by NapalmNailz » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:09 am

Hi Paul, hope you are well. Excellent right up. I planted a few seeds of this variety but unfortunately none germinated. Would you mind telling me where you got your seeds from? Or if you have any spare I would gladly swap any of the powders I make or pods I've grown this year for some!

TheLargeOne

Post by TheLargeOne » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:58 am

look forward to testing these this year as i have a couple plants i'm growing for taste/yeild performance