What's worth growing or not!

Moderators: Wilf, chilliman64, Kathy

Paul79
Hot Head
Hot Head

Bhut Orange Copenhagen

Post by Paul79 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:22 pm

Here is a picture of the pod, looks quite gnarly:

Beautiful looking pod, I almost didn't want to cut into it but I chose to again harvest seeds from this one for the same reasons I harvested seed from the SB Burkina Yellow. Here is the pod in half, not sure if the camera picks it up but quite a bit of oil going on in there:

When I cut the pod open I got a very strong aroma coming from the pod, took me by surprise, literally filled the kitchen with aroma and I started to get a little bit worried at this point.

Okay so again popped both halves together and straight into my mouth to chew. Not much crunch to this, the walls where surprisingly a little soft, hardly any juice and to be honest the flavour was really very subtle. Barely detectable which was a little disappointing. There was a hint of sweetness and fruity flavour to this pod but honestly it barely registered any taste. Once I had swallowed the pod I coughed a few times, really hit the back of my throat.

Heat began at the back of the mouth and worked it's way forward, it doesn't hit you fully this pod from the get go, it builds. It was about a minute in when the tongue had started to really light up, all over tongue burn, top, sides, front and back. Quickly spread to the lips and pallet too. Heat continues to rise and before we hit 2 mins my eyes are like a steady stream, literally flowing, nose is on the run and I've started to sweat. Heat continues to rise and it's actually getting quite unbearable. First pint of milk is drank in big gulps, each time holding it in my mouth to try to give my tongue a bit of a break.

Every time I swallow it though, bang. The heat is back on and ramping up, tons of saliva building up and I'm reaching for tissues for both my nose and eyes. Second pint of milk and much the same, a momentary relief from the ever increasing heat. I'm trying to take my mind off it and consider the flavour and taste of the pod. Honestly I've got nothing, the smell reminded me of the Madballz 7 pods I tried last year but lacked any great taste, it also thankfully doesn't burn anywhere near the levels that pod did.

I've reached the 8 min mark now, heat is still on, I've gone through 3 pints of milk, feeling quite sick at this stage, tongue is quite sore and my lips have swollen a touch, I scoop a spoonful of ice cream and just leave it on my tongue. I can't drink anymore milk, I actually think I'll be ill if I do.

Around the 10 min mark it's peaked and slowly on its way down, still getting tons of saliva though, breathing in and out is like fanning the flames, quite painful. I think it's the hottest pod I've had this season, I'll need to check that too.

I'm writing this over an hour after having tried the pod and I'll be honest, it's messed up my stomach something ruthless.

Pod taste, nothing exceptional, I'd say almost bland which was a tad disappointing.
Heat was not superhot level but definitely over 500k scoville units, I personally feel it was around 800k.
Uses, powder springs to mind, this would definitely add heat. The flavour may have been a disappointing one off. I know Bhut's are generally meant to be very nice but this was a very subtle barely noticeable fruity flavour. I'll let Bullgoose confirm if the plant is a producer and what it looks like, also he may be able to confirm if the taste is normally like this or if this is an exception to the ones he's tried.

I'd still like to thank David though for the opportunity of trying the pod, looks stunning, very high heat but doesn't get a tick for flavour.

Cheers

habanero
Seedling
Seedling

Re: Bhut Orange Copenhagen

Post by habanero » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:25 pm

Beautiful review :) I also Bhut Orange Copenhagen ,but somehow it just does not want to bloom :oops: Tried to put her on the inside in the winter and see... :P

chilliman64

Post by chilliman64 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:24 am

CGers - I've moved a number of posts due to them being outside the site admin's rules for this section of the forum

=> viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10547

for general chilli conversation please use the Chilli Chat section of the forum - thank you!

Paul79
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Paul79 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:05 pm

Gary's (Snagglepuss) Bhut Orange Copenhagen:

Again, it's a beautiful looking pod, not quite as gnarly looking as the other BOC that I first tried but still has a menacing look to it. Here it is cut open:

I've harvested the seeds to send to Superhot Sim. There was only 3 or 4 seeds hiding in there and not as much capsaicin oil droplets in this pod compared with the other BOC but the smell was equally aromatic and I knew this Sunday morning was going to be interesting.

So once de-seeded I popped both halves together and straight in to begin to chew. Again thin walled and not a lot of juice to the pod, there was a touch of sweetness and as you began to chew more, the fruity flavour started to come through. The flavour really starts to build the more you chew so you go through it quite quickly but you also really get the pod all over your mouth, which you soon pay for. In comparison with the previous BOC, this one had a lot more flavour to it, a rich full fruity flavour, you didn't have to search it out or try to detect it, the taste was there.

I think this from my experience sums up chillies, growing conditions, feeding, watering, sun, air flow and probably many other factors can help so shape how a chilli tastes and how hot they can get. I guarantee that if David tastes a pod off his plant it'll have that full fruity flavour to it, these things can happen.

Now as I touched on above, because I really chewed this up and got it working around my mouth, the heat/burn was all over the mouth. It didn't build from the back, it started on the sides of the tongue, top of the tongue, roof of the mouth and lips.

The heat was on the go fairly early, before I had even got rid of the last bits of pod. Again it was a builder in terms of heat level but the mouth burn was a fair bit worse with this and I think that was purely down to how I had chewed this pod up.

I don't think I need to go into a lot of detail with the heat this time around. It's a Bhut, it was hot, very hot. The heat continued to build and my eyes watered, nose got a little snotty, had a sweat on and stayed with me till around 8-9 minute mark. I did drink Milk, just the 1 pint and it produced saliva. The tongue and mouth burned quite painfully for sometime.

So all in all, this pod ticked boxes with its taste, really wonderful fruity flavour to it, it was a full bodied taste with a hint of sweetness early on. The heat, well that done just as much damage as the first BOC pod did, quite honestly painfully hot at times.

This wasn't a typical comprehensive review simply because I've reviewed it before and the heat side of the pod was fairly similar to the previous, hot and painful. The reason for the review this time was more the taste. This pod had a lot more flavour to it. As I mentioned above, it just goes to show that chillies are variable and many factors can alter the way they produce and how the chillies develops.

Thanks Gary for the opportunity to try this pod again.

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliJez » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:31 pm

chilliman64 wrote:CGers - I've moved a number of posts due to them being outside the site admin's rules for this section of the forum

=> viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10547

for general chilli conversation please use the Chilli Chat section of the forum - thank you!
Sorry Mark. It was me sent it off into general discussion. :oops:

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliJez » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:35 pm

Last night I had one of these, kindly sent to me by snagglepuss.

When I cut into it I was amazed by the smell. Quite the most intense fragrance I've encountered in any chilli. Overwhelmingly tangerine if I had to put a single name to it but tropical and chinense too. For that smell alone it goes onto my grow list for next year.

The pod (seeds saved) went into an improvised mango chutney. Being a wuss it had quite a lot of mango and only a single pod. The result is quite hot enough for me but more importantly the flavour of the chilli still comes through.

Overall quite an eye opener and most welcome. Thank you Gary :P