What's worth growing or not!

Moderators: Kathy, chilliman64, Wilf

Paul79
Hot Head
Hot Head

Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion

Post by Paul79 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:20 pm

Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion

Well again this pod has been grown indoors, hand pollinated, under the garland grow light and kept in a 3" pot like everything else kept indoors since it sprouted.

So here is the pod in half:

Now when cut open this had a distinctly floral aroma and set off the alarm bells for heat warnings.

I've retained the seeds and once the season is finished they'll all be on there way to Heath for the Seeds Bank.

Right so the taste, popped both halves in and began to chew. Now this is a thinner walled pod and didn't take a lot of chewing to get through it, there was a hint of sweetness but hardly registered, what did come through though was a full floral taste, now this can sometimes be good or bad but this one was fairly pleasant. This floral taste was a consistent taste throughout while chewing. Right near the end of the pod while just getting rid of the final few bits I did get a hint of bitterness.

Heat on this one, yikes. Within 20-25 seconds I could feel this on my tongue, really quick heat to set, back of the tongue and moved to the sides of the tongue and underneath. Tongue within the minute stage was on fire, I had tears streaming and saliva was beginning to build.

As the burn spreads across the tongue, it started to ramp up, quite a prickly burn on this, quick to start and builds on that. Once it got to the lips I went for milk, I hadn't prepared anything as I wasn't expecting heat. Fatal error.

The burn carried on rising, sweating a little now, nose starting to get a little snotty and saliva continuing to build. Tongue is very much ablaze and breathing in and out just felt like I was fanning flames, similar kind of burn to the Bhut Orange Copenhagen I recently tried.

Heat starts to spread into the throat and I end up pouring a second glass. I'm quite disappointed in myself as the last 3 chillies I'd tested required no milk.

Around the 7 minute mark and several streams of tears later the heat has peaked, not getting any hotter, just sitting on the tongue, lips and back of the throat. Absolute ton of saliva being produced on this pod, quite a prickly burn too, not particularly pleasant I have to say.

Once we get to the 11-12 min stage things are far more manageable, the heat/burn is dissipating, the tears have stopped as has the sweating.

Overall a fairly decent floral taste, nothing I'd wax lyrical about. I'd say this pod would be useful if you want to add heat to any dish, either for use fresh in cooking or using in sauces etc.
The heat is very impressive, it sets quick and builds, once it's peaked it sticks around for a bit before beginning to drop off. I think I'm right when I say this was a cross between a Ghost Chilli and a Trinidad Scorpion, hardly surprising the heat is as high as it is if they are the genetic markers for it.

Missy

Re: Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion

Post by Missy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:07 am

Paul, you had mentioned that you kept this plant in a 3" pot all the while until it gave you fruit. So to speak more like bonsai growth? What about the roots of this plant? Doesn't it get massive and entangled in a 3" pot?

Paul79
Hot Head
Hot Head

Re: Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion

Post by Paul79 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:18 am

Missy wrote:Paul, you had mentioned that you kept this plant in a 3" pot all the while until it gave you fruit. So to speak more like bonsai growth? What about the roots of this plant? Doesn't it get massive and entangled in a 3" pot?
Hi Missy, I've not been around much recently so only just seen this post.

That particular plant was one of a number of plants I grew exclusively indoors in 3" pots as an experiment mainly due to space restrictions having over 100 plants outside.

The plant was pot bound, absolute tons of roots within the pot but I was never planning on keeping the plant or looking to pot it on so it was never really an issue for me on this occasion.