What's worth growing or not!

Moderators: Kathy, chilliman64, Wilf

Paul79
Hot Head
Hot Head

Naga Morich x Carolina Reaper

Post by Paul79 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:06 pm

Naga Morich x Carolina Reaper

No you haven't read that wrong, this really is a Naga crossed with my arch nemesis. For those who don't know last year I reviewed the Carolina Reaper, it last less than 30 seconds as I and I'm still embarrassed to say, I puked it up. Now the pod wasn't puked up purely because of the unbelievable burn it gave me but also because it was possibly the bitterest tasting pepper I've had. So that being said, when I received notice from Gary as to what was in the post, I was looking forward to this the least. I'm not sure if I've upset him in any way but he sent me two of them too. Here they are:

Now when I got the package I couldn't help but notice how big those two pods where, monsters doesn't quite cover it. I'm also not sure if Gary thought I was going to do them both together but that was never happening if he did think that....

So here are the pods cut open:

Now I cut them both open because I was going to de-seed them both, eat one pod and cut the other into smaller pieces and use the old ice cube try for perfect pieces of lava to add to some curries or chillies. That's how my hands got so messed up. Oil everywhere.

The pod gave off a distinctive aroma, very sweet, very hot and a floral smell. I knew at this point I was going to be in pain.

I closed both half of the pods together and popped them in, for those who want to know it was the one on the left. The pod was huge and just about fit. I began to chew and things went wrong from there.

The pod gave off quite a lot of sweetness straight up front which was both surprising and pleasant. You then get a wave of fruity / floral taste coming through, now this was quite difficult to distinguish between mainly because the heat was already starting to quite aggressively attack my mouth and throat.

I hadn't even got through half of the pod when the heat started ramping up, so unfortunately I can't give much detail about its flavour. It was sweet to start off with, you then start to get a mix of a fruity flavour coming through but to me it then trailed off to a floral taste.

At this stage, my throat was starting to burn and that burn was increasing, the back of my tongue was also heading the same way, I'm trying to chew, swallow, inhale, chew and swallow but at the inhale stage, the capsaican oil must have tickled the tonsils because I went into a fit of coughing. My eyes instantly started watering and they went bloodshot. As I'm trying to force the pod down I begin to gag and my body naturally is trying to stop me by regurgitating what I'm swallowing.

Now I apologise for the rather in depth detail but I feel it's kind of necessary.

As I'm fighting to get the pod down, the heat and burn are going up, I'm getting a sweat on, my eyes are already watering because of the coughing fit and they aren't easing off now because of the pod. I'm starting to hiccup which is making things worse and I still haven't got the whole pod down.

I glance at the time and I'm approaching the minute mark, I still have bits of the pod in my mouth and as fast as I can I'm trying to get it down the hatch. At this stage my mouth is on fire, my tongue is barely registering, it's literally engulfed. Before I even finish swallowing and breaking down the last bit of pod I'm reaching for milk, the last of the pod goes down as I gulp a pint of milk very quickly.

I hadn't noticed but at some stage my nose had began to run as when I looked into the mirror I see a bright red face with blood shot eyes, dripping eyes with a oozing coming from my nose and a rather sweaty head.

My throat steadily gets worse, it's not actually pleasant or fun at this stage, it's quite painful, just simple swallowing hurts but with these hiccups it's very sore. I'm getting quite a bit of saliva and everytime I swallow it, more comes, it just seems to enrage my tongue, it's burning all over, top, sides, front and back. My stomach is starting to also grumble, I think this one is going to hurt a wee bit tomorrow also.

I'm pouring a second glass of mik, this is becoming more and more painful. I take the glass and go and sit down at the dining table, as the heat continues building my tongue gets worse, I think it swelled a bit but can't be sure, my throat feels like somebody just put a naked flame down there, it feels raw.

I stop checking the time and just bury my head into my arms on the table and to be honest that's pretty much where I stayed, the next time I checked what time it was, another 13 minutes had passed. The heat is on its way down but I felt awful in all fairness.

This pod isn't just hot but it's aggressive too, I think having a quick look through what I've tried this year, it's probably the hottest I've had. After I ate the pod, I went and lay down for a bit, I felt quite ill and rough. While I appreciate trying new pods this was far from a pleasant experience at the time. Now a few hours later I'm able to appreciate the pod more.

The taste overall appeared quite nice but the quick and aggressive heat/burn on this meant that you kinda lost the taste fairly quickly. The heat level on this is something else, it has to be over a million scoville units, its unbelievably hot it's also quite aggressive in the way it burns.

Hopefully Gary can let people know more about the seeds/pods as to who crossed it if it wasn't him and an idea of the heat level if its been previously tested, I would like to know for sure.

I'd like to thank Gary for sending me some stunning pods!

Thanks Again!

snagglepuss
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Re: Naga Morich x Carolina Reaper

Post by snagglepuss » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:32 pm

nice one paul, I didn't cross it I'll find the seed packet & let you know were the seeds came from,

Slyboy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Re: Naga Morich x Carolina Reaper

Post by Slyboy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:41 am

Paul, great review as always. I can only admire you for eating such hot chillies. Such great descriptions I can almost imagine the pain!

David