What's worth growing or not!

Moderators: Kathy, chilliman64, Wilf

Paul79
Hot Head
Hot Head

Bahamian Goat Pepper

Post by Paul79 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:13 pm

Bahamian Goat Pepper

I'm not going to lie, this is a pod I have been very much looking forward to trying. It's meant to be a stunningly tasty pod with many comparisons made to the Scotch Bonnet. Well this pod certainly has the look of a Scotch Bonnet shape to it.

Okay so I know it's a Capsicum Chinense from the Bahamas, I'm expecting it to be a great tasting mild pepper.

Here is the pod cut open:

The pod when cut open gave a very clean chinense smell, quite nice. The knife had a bit of oil on it and I've took as many of the seeds as possible without damaging the placenta.

Popped the pod into my mouth and began to chew, instant burst of juicy sweetness, it's quite a sweet tasting pepper and wow I'm liking it already. Its got a good crunch to the pod and every bite brings more sweetness. However that's not the best part to this, the fruitiness of this pod is stunning. I've absolutely no idea what to compare it too, except when I went to the Caribbean for a holiday, I noticed how fresh and clean tasting the fruit and produce was from there, everything tasted better than anything I've ever managed to get at home and this pepper reminds me of that. The taste, flavour is so clean and so tasty, the fruitiness flavour is tropical in many respects, that's probably the best way I can put it. Clean, fresh tropical taste.

So that was the good part. Now onto the bad part.

The heat and burn from this pod was not like a scotch bonnet, it was my evil nemesis the Habanero. Almost instantly this pod bit back with vengeance. It attacked the sides of my tongue within seconds which quickly moved to the whole of the top of the tongue.

I had tears within the minute mark, a sweat on within ninety seconds and a runny nose too. To say I underestimated the heat of this chilli is a massive understatement. I didn't even have milk prepared and by god I needed it.

After two minutes my tongue was aggressively burning, an unmistakeable Habanero style burn, quick, aggressive and hot. It moved to the lips and really started to light them up too.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit but I ended up having to drink milk direct from the bottle :oops: It was becoming increasingly painful in my mouth and lips. I hate Habs, I really really do hate them.

Even with the milk I wasn't getting much relief, I eventually poured a toffee yoghurt down my throat...

This basically went on for about 11-12 minutes, It really did catch me off guard with it's heat and burn. It caused me some discomfort in the mouth, lips and throat. Caused me to shed a lot of tears, perspire a fair bit and require my nose to be cleaned on a few occasions.

Overall though, I won't let the heat detract from what was a stunningly good tasting pod. Honestly this could be used for anything it's that good. Cooking, Salsa's, Powders/Flakes. The list is endlist, I wouldn't however recommend it for the family, it's a tad too hot for that.

Taste wise, stunning. Juicy Sweetness with a clean and I'd say tropical fruitiness to it.
Heat, surprisingly hotter than expected. I'd put it at the lower Habanero level end rather than Scotch Bonnet level.

Once I've had confirmation that it is indeed the Bahamian Goat Pepper, then I'll post this in the review section.

Cheers

Well I've done something I wouldn't normally do week night and I've kind of gone to the extreme. Not only have I tasted one pod, I've now done three, including doing a second Bahamian Goat Pepper because of the weird shape of the first pod. Again this is from Terry Smith at Kernow Chilli Farm.

So here is the second BGP pod:

This pod was pretty much the same as the first, except it was sweeter than the first which took some doing and it had a fuller fruitier taste to it.

For me, nothing changes however, I'd still highly recommend the pod, it's got an unbelievable taste to it, it's honestly one of the nicest tasting pods I've ever tried. The heat and again I feel like I'm repeating myself, is unmistakably Habanero esq.

I didn't want to do a full review simply because the similarities in the taste and heat where so similar I didn't see the benefit to doing the full review, hope that's okay.

Slyboy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Re: Bahamian Goat Pepper

Post by Slyboy » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:37 am

Paul, so now you have gone and done it. It sounds so good and so up my street (I love raw habs) that I'm going to have to break my self imposed chilli growing number limit and get these seeds asap to ensure I can grow them this season. Great review as always.

Slyboy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Slyboy » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:08 am

So it happens that I have grown them this season. I thought for once I would do a video taste review. See the link below.

Lovely flavour, I really like this chilli! I agree totally with Paul's written review. I did notice a few times in the video it made me dribble so it's got a bit of heat to it. Hope you enjoy.

http://youtu.be/iyjHqP5XZtM

David

Heefy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Heefy » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:10 am

Like a boss! The first of many I hope. It's always nice to put a face to a forum contributor.

I am growing BGP for the second year, with a new plant and an overwintered one, so looking forward to pods from that, because I'm almost out of the frozen ones.

dennish
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by dennish » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:23 am

Great review David, you took that full pod by the horns! Hat off to you sir and hope it's the first of many pods to come!

Slyboy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Slyboy » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:31 am

Thanks folks. I have a feeling it wasn't full heat as it was the first pod off the plant. I may try another in a month or so and will report back. Still damn hot!

JezzerBell
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by JezzerBell » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:41 am

Full respect David, a top man. I'm also growing one of these plants so, like yours, I hope it produces many pods.

Chilli Keith
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Chilli Keith » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:08 am

Very brave David - and a great video review. Thank you for sharing.

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliJez » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:04 am

I appreciated your review David. Thank you. You've got a good video presence. Your sound, your intonation, your timing is all good. You make me want to try the pepper. :roll: Wish I had some Bahamian Goat. But hey! :P

dennish
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by dennish » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:25 am

ChilliJez wrote:I appreciated your review David. Thank you. You've got a good video presence. Your sound, your intonation, your timing is all good. You make me want to try the pepper. :roll: Wish I had some Bahamian Goat. But hey! :P
+1 revival of this thread and David's review has also left me asking myself why the hell am I not growing BGP this year?!