What's worth growing or not!

Moderators: Kathy, Wilf, chilliman64

Paul79
Hot Head
Hot Head

Pink Tiger

Post by Paul79 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:14 pm

The Pink Tiger

Now this pod first caught my eye when I believe (waits to be corrected) Snagglepuss (Gary) posted a photo of it in Heefy's growlog? After many people commented on the Fish Pepper. Since then, I've pretty much checked most seed retailers without finding it. I now know why that is... It's still not a stable cross and apparently that stops it from being sold. If that is the case, it's a new one on me.

Anyway, here is the pod:

Now again, just going to repeat unstable cross because it doesn't look like the artwork that I seen but there is still similar characteristics in there, so I'm happy enough. This pod is from Paul Willet at Obsessive Chilli Disorder and here is the pod cut in half:

I know absolutely nothing about this pod, it just looks cool and as such I wanted to get my hands on a pod. Thankfully there is a number of seeds in there which means I'll retain a few seeds and the rest will be on the way to Heefy and the Seed Bank.

So after carefully de-seeding the pod I gave it a good smell and it has a distinctive chinense aroma, I think this might be a hot one. I placed both halves in and began to munch. Not a great deal of juice with the pod, the walls reminded me of a Bhut, thinnish in thickness and without munch crunch. However there was a good deal of initial sweetness which was unexpected and nice. You then get a complex floral and fruity combination which worked quite nicely.

Now this isn't the nicest pod I've ever had but it isn't bad. The mix of flavour really worked for me, initially I was getting a fruity taste with a floral ending and all this topped with a good sweetness, interesting. The taste reminded me of Bhut's I had tried, it's got a lot of similarities to the Bhut, well at least that's what I'm thinking. At the time I was thinking I need to find out more about this plant, especially what the parent plants are to create it. I'll explain more about my findings later.

Okay so the heat, at first there wasn't much in the way of heat, I felt a slight tingling on the sides of the tongue and a little bit of heat at the back of the throat but nothing of any concern. The pod had gone and I was ticking past the minute mark at this stage, again not much in the way of heat, I'm shocked and mildly disappointed.

That didn't last long though. Over the course of the next 30 seconds I went from being manageable to being in a bit of a state. Tears - Check, Nose Running - Check, Sweating - Check.
The heat started ramping up, this was definitely a creeper and once it had arrived it ramps up.

I was quickly going for milk, it wasn't helping and again had to resort to smothering my tongue in yoghurt. The burn is mildly aggressive, my tongue was pinging all over the place, it also really attacked the back of my throat which made it a little uncomfortable. It produced tons of saliva and the air passing over the tongue just seemed to enrage my tongue, again this was another reason why I was thinking Bhut.

After the 10 minute had past, my tongue was in a sorry burning mess but at least it had already dropped off, the tears where still there but everything was easing off.

Overall an interesting mixture flavour wise, it worked for me but the main selling point of this plant is the look, it just looks weird which makes it cool.
Heat wise, it's a hottie, I wouldn't put it around 600k cautiously which makes it a good choice for many a dish/powder/flake/sauce etc etc etc

Now after I had regained myself, I started doing some searching and apparently (if I've copied this right) it's a cross between a Pimenta de Neyde and a Bhut Jolokia. If I have got that right, it certainly explains the Similarities with the taste and heat that I was experiencing.

Thanks for Reading.

Heefy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Pink Tiger

Post by Heefy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:25 am

Originally from an Italian grower. They are Bhut Jolokia x Pimenta da Neyde cross. I think the naming convention is female first, not sure.

There are dozens of varieties of this already and we are only at F2 or 3.

Have a look here. http://mojopepper.blogspot.it/p/seeds.html?m=1

And a page specifically for Pink Tiger

http://mojopepper.blogspot.co.uk/p/pink ... epper.html

trident
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Re: Pink Tiger

Post by trident » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:59 pm

PepperLover.com $3.00 have seen seed on this site for sale

Wilf
Admin
Admin

Post by Wilf » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:19 pm

They are now being touted as the worlds rarest and most expensive seeds by some sellers, we have some to try next year

snagglepuss
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Pink Tiger

Post by snagglepuss » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:40 pm

I grew them this year like many others but none of the pods had the stripes on them, if people want to grow them get them from the guy himself, enrico lai

Anja

Post by Anja » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:07 pm

Mine came from Enrico - no stripes... :(

And I know a lot of other growers ind DK who got their seeds from him and dodn't get any stripes either - maybe next year :)

chiliriot
Seedling
Seedling

Post by chiliriot » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:51 am

the pink pepper tiger is a strange, I have grown and second of sun exposure and with good fertilizzane can make those stripes! even I was amazed that they were all cream ... but then began to come in compliance.

chiliriot
Seedling
Seedling

R: Pink Tiger

Post by chiliriot » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:07 pm

chiliriot
Seedling
Seedling

Post by chiliriot » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:12 pm

I am Italian and these are the pink tiger that I bought from mojo .... are a writer ..... but certainly do not paint the pepper!ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

FlipperH8

Post by FlipperH8 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:25 pm

listen chiliriot! the pink tiger is a Particular variety ... but real 100% no fake!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5h6Hm8 ... CVOMfNTCpQ

chiliriot
Seedling
Seedling

Post by chiliriot » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:14 pm

chiliriot
Seedling
Seedling

Post by chiliriot » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:10 pm

the problem is not stabilize it ...... is to understand how and why do those strips ..... I and two others are doing various tests ..... We'll see next year ....

Heefy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Pink Tiger

Post by Heefy » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:40 am

chiliriot wrote:the problem is not stabilize it ...... is to understand how and why do those strips ..... I and two others are doing various tests ..... We'll see next year ....Image
Hi. Are you saying that there is a method to getting the stripes? Do tell, as I am possibly going to grow it this year.

chiliriot
Seedling
Seedling

R: Re: Pink Tiger

Post by chiliriot » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:22 am

Heefy wrote:
chiliriot wrote:the problem is not stabilize it ...... is to understand how and why do those strips ..... I and two others are doing various tests ..... We'll see next year ....Image
Hi. Are you saying that there is a method to getting the stripes? Do tell, as I am possibly going to grow it this year.
there is not a method .... what we have noticed is that ... fertilizante chart using slow-release after a few months begins to affect the output of the strips .... maybe even great weather we have in Tuscany, Sardinia and Cataluña. ... More sapre not say that .... is somewhat a mystery to me ..

trident
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by trident » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:40 pm

Now this is getting really interesting .. Shouting and breaking branches off "Katie" produces a hotter pod ... Slowly feeding "Pink Tiger" and enhancing light patterns could possibly produce stripes .. are we now technicians not hobbyists ...

And my wife says I am boring ... the fascinating world of growing chillies continues to amaze me ... Go Italy go

baconsalad

Post by baconsalad » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:15 pm

Cool theory. I wonder if others like the fish peppers stripes would react to various feeding methods too.

ronniedeb
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ronniedeb » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:50 am

Ultra Violet light increases anthocyanin levels in peppers, the pigment responsible for purple colouration. That could explain to some degree the different results people are getting. Ultra violet light would have less effect on peppers grown under glass or further away from the equator.

Flamethrower
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Flamethrower » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:07 am

Well since it is said it’s somewhat unstable I only got it as a one off novelty since although it stuck out at first there are other interesting pods but interested to see how it turns out; seen a huge 2nd year plant with fruit leaning more towards the purple end - actually the name 'purple tiger’ although taken would be nearer - the peachy pod at the top is nearest to pink. Thing that isn’t endearing it to me is despite a proportion of frutescens/annum genes in there (admittedly small and in no way assured to effect flowering time at all) it hasn’t even begun to flower yet unlike all my other chinenses - clearly it might start soon and individual plants could well vary and given the size of the fruit could well still be fairly productive - anyone else found this a late variety?

Flamethrower
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Flamethrower » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:00 pm

It’s flowering now - nice flowers too - more towards the chinense flower I’d say but a slight blush of a greypurple in the petals so good marks there.

Flamethrower
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Flamethrower » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:25 pm

Well I have two small chillies on a fair size plant; this is probably the most dissapointing plant I have ever grown - can’t think of one worse to be; really wish I hadn’t bothered wasting space on it but heyho and knowing my luck it will be the only I get through winter! :)

Anyway a question - the chillies on mine are just purple - does pink tiger ripen red or does it say purple like Pimenta de Neyde ???

chiliriot
Seedling
Seedling

Post by chiliriot » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:14 pm

Flamethrower
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Flamethrower » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:58 am

OK ripens red with black - does look ornamental if you can get them there.