What's worth growing or not!

Moderators: Wilf, chilliman64, Kathy

Paul79
Hot Head
Hot Head

Pimenta Leopard

Post by Paul79 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:49 pm

Pimenta Leopard

I've been looking forward to trying this simply because of the way it looks, love the red with black stripes. Again this is part of the package of pods I got from Paul Willet (O.C.D. Obsessive Chilli Disorder).

What do I know? Not a lot, well I think it's a cross between Bhut Jolokia and Pimenta de neyde, not sure what capsicum it is and that's about it.

Pod cut in half:

Interestingly and part of the reason I'm not sure what capsicum it is, the aroma on this was barely detectable, honestly couldn't get anything smell wise.

Again I've removed the seeds for the seed bank.

Popped both halves in and began to chew. Fairly soft, thin walls, got a bit of sweetness initially which surprised me. Now the taste, how do I describe this. Bland, bell pepper type taste which was bland, flat and not particularly great. Quite disappointing actually, in fact very.

The taste didn't improve as I chewed the pod more either, the sweetness faded and in the end it felt like I was chewing grass. Not one to write home about. Very disappointed in the taste, the pod looks lovely.

Heat wise, it was punchy, fairly good tongue burn which I'd describe as a typical annuum tongue burn however it built like a chinense as it increased with time.

The heat and burn though never really got hot enough, caused more of a nose sniffle than anything else, my eyes did get a few tears in but nothing ran and no sweating. No need for any assistance with that pod required, the milk stayed in the fridge on this occasion.

Overall a very disappointing taste. It has a mild-medium heat I would say, might be good to add heat in cooking but taste wise lets it down for me.