Goat´s weed

What's worth growing or not!

Moderators: Kathy, chilliman64, Wilf

bluesman
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Goat´s weed

Post by bluesman » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:24 am

Seems like this a bit controverse variety hasn´t been rewieved at all.
First of all it´s an annuum with silvery furry overcoat, very good as an ornamental.
The pods are red when ripe and 3-5 cm long. Cloesely resembling Thai rawit.
But the taste. Yeccchh! When eaten fresh it is about the most horrible taste of a chili whatsoever. Raw bitter undescribable and you spit it out quite fast. The heat is reasonable and fades in a few minutes.
Another thing is when you dry the pods and grind as a fine powder. Somehow it is like a different variety, aromatic richness and the overall taste is pleasant. This I can truly recommend as a speciality because the taste is different from other annuums.

chilliman64

Re: Goat´s weed

Post by chilliman64 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:21 am

I have grown these for a number of seasons and I'm quite a fan. I sent in a number of seeds to the original Seed Bank so hopefully some CGers are growing peppers that started in my garden.

they are a great looking plant as bluesman says. the silky/furry stem and leaves are visually very pleasing. the fruit changes from green to black to red and when the bush has lots of pointy pods in different stages of ripening it looks very impressive.

they are quite hot for an annuum, one of the hottest I've tried, they are not to be taken lightly.

they are good to eat fresh. due to their thin walls they dry easily (left in a bowl in a frost free fridge they will dry no problem). they are good for powder or sauce and handle being frozen. they fruit abundantly and fairly early and are a low maintenance plant that grows easily. you need to be careful when harvesting your crop, I recommend scissors or shears because the thin branches will snap off near to the pod if you pull them off carelessly.

I'm not sure the taste is that bad, I find them to taste great. they are not sweet or fruity so if you expect hab-type aromas then this is not the chilli. I guess you will have to grow them yourself and make up your own mind. I like mine to ripen to a deep red before consuming but 'light' red is ok, if eaten green or black they taste a bit on the horrible side.

definitely one of my all time favourite chillies!

edit: don't just take my word for it, see what Neil from THSC has to say about them => http://youtu.be/H-j1qJO_RiQ

Heefy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Heefy » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:59 pm

I grew them this year, just for powder, on a number of peoples recommendations. Thumbs up from me.

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliJez » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:52 pm

I grew a plant in 2012from seed contributed by Chilliman64. Thanks Mark.

I didn't pinch out the growing tip and the plant grew to an overall height of about 6 foot. It was a really sturdy stem, black with silvery hairs. It didn't branch till about 4 1/2 feet and was quite a striking plant. I didn't get a huge number of pods and those I did were late, for me unremarkable in flavour and hot. Properly hot.

I'll grow it again sometime, particularly with the recommendation when they're dried. Visually quite impressive.

Heefy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Goat´s weed

Post by Heefy » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:46 pm

Naturally and oven dried. Made a good amount of very,
Very hot powder.