Filius Blue

What's worth growing or not!

Moderators: Wilf, chilliman64, Kathy

Flamethrower
Hot Head
Hot Head

Filius Blue

Post by Flamethrower » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:22 pm

This is C. annum “Filius Blue”; apparently a Mexican heirloom; I got it as a healthy young plant in a 9-10cm pot so can’t say much about germination. This is a nicely compact plant and prolific; tints of purple esp. at nodes and pleasing flowers; some white with purple edges but most much more purple which offset pollinating hoverflies really nicely. good, easy pleasing to the eye. The small smooth rounded almost aubergine colour fruits facing upwards. It also seemed to produce fruits very quickly for use although initially lacking in much heat. Found a nice use for them I’ll post in recipes.

The chillies have been ripening a while now posting this review; they kind of flush a more green then into standard red – raw the fruits are obviously fairly small and densely packed with seed (no gaps) and have reasonable flavour; nothing outstanding or overly hot. Probably will have had 100 chillies in total.
All in all pretty good, easy and good for small spaces but although you get a lot of fruit the size and the heat mean you can get through your crop pretty quick if you're a real nutter but would suit the less mad just fine. Probably won’t grow again just because there is more to explore

Flamethrower
Hot Head
Hot Head

Re: Filius Blue

Post by Flamethrower » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:03 pm

A little add on: weather hasn't been great and my various chillies are either finished (jalapeno) or the last ripening (hab)- very little new activity except for the filius blue which is keeping going - quite a lot of flowers and given their size/speed fair chance of a good few more chillies late on which is nice - get a few more late apache etc but I have got the longest season off this plant by far - very productive : )

Flamethrower
Hot Head
Hot Head

Re: Filius Blue

Post by Flamethrower » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:24 am

Tried the roasting thing with chopped cayenne - the fillius works so much better and this plants looking great at the mo with the others mostly finished.