Moderators: chilliman64, Kathy, Wilf

MarkS
Hot Head
Hot Head

Bulgarian Carrot

Post by MarkS » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:44 pm

Hi

Thought I would post about growing these for the first time

These are a great Chilli, very crunchy pods, good heat and a nice yellow / orange colour that is a change to all the standard red pods :-)

I have taken some of these seeds, so if anyone wants some please let me know - i also hope to be giving some to the seedbank

6/11 - MarkS - editted post to advise that maybe he is going colour blind :-)
Last edited by MarkS on Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dennish
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Re: Bulgarian Carrot

Post by dennish » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:56 pm

Hmm Mark, doesn't sound like Bulgarian Carrot to me... they are most definitely orange when ripe.

Jure_v
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Jure_v » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:47 pm

This is how they look
http://www.suburbanseeds.com/images/bul ... pepper.jpg
If yours go to red coour then it is definetly not Bulgarian carrot.

MarkS
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by MarkS » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:00 pm

Hi Both

Orange/Yellow - its a very fine line :-)

It was definitely as stated - as it is a plant i actually bought from "dare I say it" a garden centre as I hadnt seen them before

Flamethrower
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Flamethrower » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:16 am

I grew this - quite sizable fruit and pretty hot - wasn't keen on the texture of the flesh though; fancy another orange type though

Flamethrower
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Flamethrower » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:39 pm

when I originally grew it the seed cam from a friend - it was actually years back - got a plant from a local nursery this year just coz they had it; just about eaten all the chillies so a fuller review :

This chilli is mean to be a bit hardier than some - again I found the skins on the chillies a bit tough - this might not be good in big chunks and chopped up it’s fine but definately notably tougher than other chillies but the surprise was the flavour - not wildly complex but actually a slightly perfumy fruitiness I wasn’t expecting and reasonable heat so not bad. Not a personal favourite but was happy to try it again as part of the range of flavours colours textures I have had this year and should be good in colder locales

On the issue of colour they start a not very pleasing slightly dull pale green but yeah the colour is definately on the yellower side of orange when ripe.