Moderators: chilliman64, Ben123, Kathy, Wilf

POTAWIE

Re: SB Plant Invigorator - Ready To Use Trigger Spray 500 ml

Post by POTAWIE » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:11 pm

What are the active ingredients?

Experiment

Post by Experiment » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:06 pm

All i got from the data sheet was that it has urea in it (slow release form of nitrogen)
Foliar lattice,is that like a drop of washing up liquid for a wetting agent, the water surface tension and they use Linear sulfanate, it is vege extract for that job. Washing up liquid does same job )and i mean a small drop).
It also has iron as a chelate but with what chelate, bet it not ETTA or EDDA.
Natural products means the smelly stuff so it does not smell natural (yucky, urea sounds like urine for a reason :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Make your own, would be easy.
Seriously you could make your own for a fraction of the cost.

I did so with hydro nutes as i got cheesed off at being ripped off at paying £25ish for a handful of salts and water. (salts = hydro nutes, not table salt).

It really would be easy to copy or make your own version of that formulae. A few people here be sure to help to if you wanted to make your own.
Its easy, i did it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave.

Experiment

Post by Experiment » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:41 pm

Kind off, dilute the pee 1 in 20 :mrgreen:

All organic growers do it. :mrgreen: Really, they do.

Its easy to buy the synthetic stuff and some iron chelate on line (cheap enough to last many seasons).
Wonder why it only lists urea on the data sheet, i cannot see others.

Another way is to foliar spray a dilute nutrient solution also into the leaves. Just add a drop of washing up liquid and it would do the same job as the comercial product.
Levingtons cheapest out the pound shop will do, use less than half strength. Will give the plant extra magnesium and potasiumm and phosphorius as well.
Nitrozyme is another expensive foliar spray made from seaweed, it is good but expensive. Its just seaweed concentrate so you know what to do :mrgreen:

They (big companies) use funny words for simple chemicals so people do not know what really is in it and copy it cheaply.

If your tapwater is hard also it will supply calcium also with it :mrgreen:

Dave.

Experiment

Post by Experiment » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:47 am

Strange thing is urea is not the best choice for a foliar spray in the first place. It is a slow release form on nitrogen.

If you are not sure about using pee then nip to a garden center and buy some ammonium sulfate, or better still find a cheap water soluble plant food and use that, it will give roughly the same results. Just dilute by at least a half even more, start low and work up with it. Cheapest way to do it rather than fork out that amount of money mate.

Hope this helps and hope your plants are ok.

Dave.

EDIT: And a drop of washing up liquid, and 1 drop (small) per liter. You do not want to produce too much foam. A bottle of Persil or Fairy last a lifetime :mrgreen:

POTAWIE

Post by POTAWIE » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:41 pm

I believe urea is actually quick release, its also about the cheapest form of nitrogen and is know for burning plants when applied improperly.

"Alone, urea has quick release properties but it can be processed and combined with other materials to be slow release. A coating is applied to the urea, allowing for a slow release based on the thickness of the coating, temperature, and soil moisture."
http://lawncare.about.com/od/plantnutri ... trogen.htm

Experiment

Post by Experiment » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:53 pm

Interesting post Potawie, i have never come across quick release urea before, never even thought it existed as a fert till i read that.
Its (slow release) is used very commonly over here in the fields as a solid fert.
I know it breaks down easily in water to give ammonium ions which as you say burn plants very rapidly.

Can i ask what do you foliar feed with yourself? I am experimenting with Topmax for fulvic/humic acids but too early to call.

Dave.

POTAWIE

Post by POTAWIE » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:04 pm

I like to foliar feed with brewed compost tea from regular compost and/or vermicompost. I also use the odd foliar application of water soluble 20-20-20+micro although I'm really trying to go all organic these days.
Oh ya, also a few sprays of epsom salts, especially on the C. chinenses

Experiment

Post by Experiment » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:18 pm

Any reason as to the organic road, same ions (you know that) or more its slow release to keep nute concentration down, or any other reason?
Take it this is where you are using the fulvic/humic acids then.

Dave.

POTAWIE

Post by POTAWIE » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:38 pm

To be honest "organic" is really just a buzz word with hundreds of different definitions depending on your location, but in general its usually a step towards better, healthier produce IMO and composting helps lighten the load on landfill sites
I am what I eat and I prefer to not use chemicals and/or pesticides on my food and prefer to improve my soil rather than ruin it over time with chemical fertilizers. There is also more demand and more money from organic produce in my location, and organic is usually healthier and tastier in my opinion. Composts/manures are nearly free for me and are full of free beneficial microbes
I haven't used fulvic/humic acids in quite some time so I can't really comment too much.

Experiment

Post by Experiment » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:56 pm

I also eat my own, so careful what goes in, no pesticides, only hydrogen peroxide but indoors no real pest problems thankfully.

Anyway, back on tract, what would you make a foliar spray up from? Any special recipes foe foliar application to get a plant back to life?

I use topmax for fulvics/humics, about a quarter strength or less nute mix, drop of washing up liquid and some H2O2. Rhizotonic if it is a root problem i would add as i think i can see a little help when using this stuff on rooting plants.

Whats your take on Superthrive, ok for stressed plants or just a waste of dosh?

Dave.

POTAWIE

Post by POTAWIE » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:41 pm

There's a million "Thrive" products out there, and they are usually a combination of B1 vitamin and and Naphthalene Acetic Acid (NNA) which is a synthetic auxin and is known to cause cell elongation. I prefer to go organic try not to use auxins or growth regulators anymore. I know many who report larger spaces between nodes, and taller, skinnier plants. Most people I know who have used it, have not found its benefits worth the money
As for foliar sprays I like to use compost teas brewed with molasses, as well as the occasional shot of epsom salts for magnesium

Experiment

Post by Experiment » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:51 pm

How much magnesium (sorry for all the q's) do you use, at what PPM, about 150- 200 or lower than that and what sort of time regime also, like morning and dusk full soak.

Dave.

POTAWIE

Post by POTAWIE » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:05 pm

I just add about a tablespoon+/- of epsom salts per gallon of water and fully spray plant(especially chinenses) about twice a season in the morning or at night, but I also have magnesium in my hard well water so you may need more if you see deficiencies like leaf curling

mevdog
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by mevdog » Thu May 05, 2011 1:35 pm

has anyone experiened nute burn with this? i may post a thread on peast and diseases if not.
i have been spraying my plants once a week or so with SB invigorator and can say that it definatly helps keep the aphids away, it usually kills all aphids upon application and helps deter them for a few days after. i havent really noticed much of a difference with the leaves, not compared to feeding normally and spraying water on the leaves anyway.
the last time i applied it i left the plants to dry as normal out of the sun and growlight, leaving the bigger plants in darkness for a rest overnight and putting the smaller plants under the MH (probably about 3 hours after the leaves had dried). the next morning i put all the plants in the greenhouse for the day (all plants seemed fine at this point) but when i returned to them at the end of the day some of them showed what looks like leaf burn. patches of brown on the leaves that are crispy to touch and a lot thinner than the healthy part of the leaves. if it is nute burn are you supposed to wash SB off after application? or wait a day or so in darkness? any help greatly appreciated.
mevdog

Wilf
Admin
Admin

Post by Wilf » Thu May 12, 2011 6:52 pm

We have a couple of bottles of the concentrate and do use it if white fly attacks, although last two years have been aphid free for us, and it did seem to work short term and also greened plant up slightly, out of all the stuff I've tried including neem oil, pest off etc I would use this again.

Amazon blurb........
Technical Details
3 in 1 pesticide / mildewcide / foliar nutrient
biodegradable, non-toxic and environmentally friendly
For use on all edible and ornamental crops
Controls a wide range of important pest species that include Whitefly, Aphid, Spider Mite, Mealybug, Scale and Psyllids.
Plant stimulant foliar feed for strong healthy growth

Why use toxic chemicals when you can use SB Plant Invigorator (SBPI)? The Environmentally Friendly Pesticide, Mildewcide and Foliar Feed for use on all edible and ornamental crops The world is becoming much more environmentally aware. Large supermarkets chains are demanding lower and lower minimum residue levels (MRL) in fruit, vegetables and now even ornamental crops. Used by professional and amateur growers and gardeners worldwide. Helps to produce quality fruit, vegetables, flowers, bushes, shrubs and trees. Controls a wide range of important pest species that include Whitefly, Aphid, Spider Mite, Mealybug, Scale and Psyllids. SBPI has a physical mode of action. The mode of action is non-chemical and non-biological. If applied correctly pests will not become resistant to SBPI. There is no harvest interval after applying SBPI.

Stan

Post by Stan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:07 pm

Experiment wrote:
Whats your take on Superthrive, ok for stressed plants or just a waste of dosh?

Dave.

Load of walloping cods! Although it's been on the market - in the USA - for well over thirty years there isn't one single piece of scientific evidence to suggest it's any good. Spend your money on seaweed that I send you rather than that guff. As for vitamin B1...same applies.