QuadGrow - Greenhouse Sensations

Growing, lighting & nutrients etc

Moderators: Kathy, chilliman64, Wilf

Maniac

QuadGrow - Greenhouse Sensations

Post by Maniac » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:47 pm

I lately bought the 4 plant QuadGrow with a set of four Quadgrow Protective Lids from Greenhouse Sensations.

http://www.greenhousesensation.co.uk/pr ... ogrow.html

It arrived quickly (eventhough I live in The Republic of Ireland) and it says on the website that they do a guaranteed two day delivery on Mainland UK - I must say the service provided was excellent and the voice of the lady taking my order was really of a "Gardening Angel" :P

I unwrapped the set and was positively surprised with the quality of the product. Nicely finished, firm build and well thought through self watering system which was very easy to assemble. The set also includes instructions and soluble nutrients which should last for the whole season for 4 plants (in case I run out there is still Chilli Focus somehere there around the house).

I will post pictures and my review on how well the system will perform in the coming season. Didn't decide what to grown in it though.

So far 5/5 for the quality, quick delivery and extremely nice service along with the easy assembly of the whole kit.

IGGYBOY

Re: QuadGrow - Greenhouse Sensations

Post by IGGYBOY » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:50 pm

I used a Quadgrow this year, and I have to say it's a fantastic bit of kit !! I grew one each of Fatalli..Choc Bhut.. Bhut Jolokia and Infinity. The plants grew at a better rate than normal pot grown plants, and they were first to set fruit... and the amount of pods harvested was brilliant, Im going to invest in an Octogrow slim for next year. Overall 10/10 !!

mattydeakin

Post by mattydeakin » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:34 pm

+ 1 for GS products. My solargrow produced plants bigger than i could have ever wanted!

lfcmike

Post by lfcmike » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:01 pm

+2 for gs products as well i'm using a vitopod propogator,2 solargrow units and got an octogrow for this season.
can't speak highly enough of their gear-simple/well made and effective and customer service is bang on :P

Wilf
Admin
Admin

Post by Wilf » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:16 pm

I think that the thing with GS equipment, its a lot sturdier and lasts longer, our NFT is as good now as when new many years ago. Other ones we've seen and used are a lot flimsier plastic tanks. The Vitopod is a good solid propogator and we use in in the cold greenhouse in march and it still holds a good heat.

Maniac

Post by Maniac » Mon May 16, 2011 12:07 pm

A quick update on the kit.

What can I say...works magic. Planted four different plants in mid April, and they all do really well compared to other ones grown in pots.

Unfortunately I don't have a really sunny spot on my north facing balcony, but fingers crossed for at least a decent crop. I'm sure that if the plants were sitted in a sunny sheltered spot, they would probably be twice as big.

The selection which is planted in the Quadgrow this year is:

Two tomato plants:
- Gold Medal
- Gold Rush

Two chillies:
- Trinidad Scorpion "Douglah" (C.chinense)
- Trinidad Scorpion x Giant White Habanero (C.chinense)

Will post some pictures soon.

CBMotorsport

Post by CBMotorsport » Mon May 16, 2011 12:48 pm

+1 for the Quadgrows. It's my first seaon of using them, and I am mightily impressed with not only the growth rate, but the quality of he growth that this system and the provided nutrients allows.

By this I mean that my plants not only seem to be growing very quickly, but the density and volume of growth is brilliant. Instead of 1 bud per node that you can get in normal soil grows, I seem to be getting multiple flowers per node, and very dense bushy green foliage. I'm convinced that yield will be at least double over a straight soil grow.

I can also top up the resevoir and go on holiday knowing that they aren't going to dry out, within reason.

CB

beltwang

Post by beltwang » Tue May 17, 2011 6:34 pm

Whats the difference between this and the chilligrow?

Also is the quadgrow used for the entire season? because surely as the plants get alot bigger its gunna get too crowded, if you have all four pots in use.

Jonapeno

Post by Jonapeno » Tue May 17, 2011 10:09 pm

From what I can tell it looks like the chilligrow has smaller pots than the quadgrow, as well as 3 pots compared with 4. I must admit I'm very temped by 1 or both of these. Can the quadgrow be used outside? I'm thinking about using a quadgrow for things like runner beans or possibly even squashes (11l pots might be big enough for that) although I'd grow them in my greenhouse.

I'm also curious about how you overwinter plants using a chilli/quadgrow. I'm hoping to overwinter a few normal pot based plants this year (first time ever) so hopefully that will give me a better idea.

CBMotorsport

Post by CBMotorsport » Tue May 17, 2011 10:54 pm

I think over wintering would be tricky if you use a quadgrow. The roots work themselves down and around the wick and end up in the resevoir at the bottom, so unless you really trim the rootball back, cut out the wick, and repot into a smaller pot, you cant overwinter in the quadgrow pots.

I guess the point is, that I reckon a plant started nice and early, put in a quadgrow, and put in a greenhouse, will probably give you 2 seasons worth of pods in it's first season, so no need to overwinter.

I think the quadgrow is gonna get very crowded indeed, but I guess that the plants will just form a proper bush, I'm not sure it will affect growth massively? We'll see. The quadgrow slim has about 6-7 inches between the pots, so a bit more space. The original quadgrow has only an inch or two between the plants.

I'm sure someone who has had a season or two's quadgrow experience can comment? This is my first crack at it, so will report back in october! :-)

CB

Wilf
Admin
Admin

Post by Wilf » Sat May 21, 2011 8:59 pm

I think the quadgrow slim is a better idea with the straight tank and pots as the 4 pots together in a square doesn't leave much room its a bit like the wilma 4 pot a bit squashed when they start getting big.
We are trying the octogrow and chilli grow this year in the diary for 2011. Both are looking good but I think final outcome will be the staright octogrow slim for me, just the right size tank and growing positions, but the chilli grow would be ideal if you have limited space.

dell boy

Post by dell boy » Tue May 31, 2011 9:29 pm

can i ask what growing media you have in your quadgrow is it soil,coco,clay pepples? interested to know. would like to see what the outcome is may consider getting somthing for next season cheers :P

CBMotorsport

Post by CBMotorsport » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:37 am

dell boy wrote:can i ask what growing media you have in your quadgrow is it soil,coco,clay pepples? interested to know. would like to see what the outcome is may consider getting somthing for next season cheers :P
I use soil here. I'm not sure the system is designed to work with anything else??

CB

matt s

Post by matt s » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:11 am

First time for me this season, ive got 2 Chilligrows (only one being used now thanks to Potters plants lol) and 2 Quadgrow slims,

Chilligrow is in the office room on my pc desk, one sweet pepper, Scotch bonnnet and super chilli

QG1 is in the little plastic greenhouse, Choc Bhut, Red Bhut, Naga Morich and Orange Hab

QG2 is on the patio, Thai Drgaon, Corno di torro, Scotch bnnet and a Redskin pepper - i made some stainless steel plates for this one to put on top of the pots to try and stop as much rainwater as poss getting into the pots affecting the res concentration.

My findings, the 2 QG's are only just getting going but the CG i have been growing the longest, i have 2 sweet pepper plants, same batch same size etc one in CG and one in normal soil pot and the size difference really is amazing, the CG grown one is at least 3 times as big and already got 3 or 4 sweet peppers growing on it.

10/10 for GS stuff for me, next year i might not even bother with normal soil pots as the CG and hopefully the QG are that good :mrgreen:

Matt

beltwang

Post by beltwang » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:11 pm

Good idea with the steel plates!
Ive got a quadgrow slim in the plastic greenhouse which includes Trinidad scorp, Trinidad mouroga blend,Yellow 7 pod and Chocolate Hab.
Only been in a week so not much action yet, saying that I havent seen the sun all week!

Maniac

Post by Maniac » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:00 pm

CBMotorsport wrote:
dell boy wrote:can i ask what growing media you have in your quadgrow is it soil,coco,clay pepples? interested to know. would like to see what the outcome is may consider getting somthing for next season cheers :P
I use soil here. I'm not sure the system is designed to work with anything else??

CB
I use soil as well, it might be beneficial to have maybe a small layer of clay pebbles or hydroleca, but you need to make sure that the soil is in contact with the spreader matt to take in the water and nutes.

I will post some pics of my set up this weekend.

silvercue

Post by silvercue » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:35 am

Hi all,

I am very, very keen on getting 1 or 2 Quadgrows. I would go for the Chilli Grows, but they are not cheaper if you buy two - the Quads are significantly cheaper in a set of two.

I haven't read anything but 5* reviews on these products, so it's a no-brainer for me.

The only thing holding me back is that my plastic greenhouse is too narrow for them. I am looking at this one:

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/mini-green ... YYKg%3D%3D

But not sure that is big enough either as the bottom shelf bit may be a hinderance.

Also, not sure if the reservoir is the bottom of the tray - or is there a big bucket I need to find room for too?

ads0282

Post by ads0282 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:49 am

silvercue wrote:Hi all,

I am very, very keen on getting 1 or 2 Quadgrows. I would go for the Chilli Grows, but they are not cheaper if you buy two - the Quads are significantly cheaper in a set of two.
Have you thought about an OCTO-grow? They look great!
Last edited by ads0282 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

ads0282

Post by ads0282 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:59 am

chilliman64 wrote:these things look great - I've been doing some research on the local Aussie equivalents
Might be on my Xmas wishlist. Hopefully select my strongest elite champion chillies for use in them :mrgreen:

silvercue

Post by silvercue » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:18 pm

OK - I couldn't handle the not owning one of these...so I just ordered a slightly wider plastic greenhouse and 2xSlims. I could not fine the Octogrow on the webiste for some reason (probably me being daft)...and assume it is pretty much the same as 2x slims.

Hope it's not a bit too late in the season to use these.

ads0282

Post by ads0282 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:05 pm

Couldn't find it on the GS website, but google found one at: http://www.greenfingers.com/superstore/ ... 625D&co=fr for £70. :mrgreen:
Last edited by ads0282 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philipash

Post by philipash » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:10 am

I chose the 2 x Slims over the Octogrow as it allows more space between plants.
The 2 rows of 4 can be separated, but also the space between each pot is larger on the slims.

Phil.

silvercue

Post by silvercue » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:43 am

sounds good.

Really looking forward to them arriving, though can't use straight away as I have to clear the land and the double dose of weed killer I used has had zero effect so far :(

I will look up some vids/guides online/youtube etc as I fear my plants may be too well developed to use them this year as they already have their roots all balled up in pots.

ads0282

Post by ads0282 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:00 am

philipash wrote:I chose the 2 x Slims over the Octogrow as it allows more space between plants.
The 2 rows of 4 can be separated, but also the space between each pot is larger on the slims.

Phil.
I think you are right Phil, was thinking that myself. They could be fighting over space when they get to a reasonable size. Might have 2 slims on my Xmas shopping list too :mrgreen:

CBMotorsport

Post by CBMotorsport » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:50 am

silvercue wrote:sounds good.

Really looking forward to them arriving, though can't use straight away as I have to clear the land and the double dose of weed killer I used has had zero effect so far :(

I will look up some vids/guides online/youtube etc as I fear my plants may be too well developed to use them this year as they already have their roots all balled up in pots.
I planted up one of my quad grows this year with 4 plants that had been under lights since December. The were in 9" pots and about 2ft tall. It was an effort to squeeze their root balls into the quadgrow pots, and ensure that there was enough soil crammed down the sides of the root ball, but I managed it, and they're going great guns. It was impossible to keep the wick upright too, so I kinda curled it round in the bottom of the pot, so it was occupying a good 5 inches of soil or so, and my plants have found the wick and rooted to it heavily.

In short, don't be put off by your plants being established, as long as they're not in pots bigger (wider) than the quadgrow pots, you'll be fine.

CB
Last edited by CBMotorsport on Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.