QuadGrow - Greenhouse Sensations

Growing, lighting & nutrients etc

Moderators: Kathy, chilliman64, Wilf

silvercue

Re: QuadGrow - Greenhouse Sensations

Post by silvercue » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:50 am

Thanks CB - that's good news and very encouraging.

Cant wait to get stuck in now!

spencerbanks

Post by spencerbanks » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:25 am

Hi

I've been thinking about getting a quadgrow myself as the last few years my chilli plants and crops have really struggled the pods just wont grow to full size have a good size naga plant with a fair few pods on but the biggest are barely half size and they're ripening allready can you use the quadgrow inside and outside also can you use clay pebbles or nothing i have a smallish growbox to give the chilli plants a good start i have a smallish 4 tier walk in greenhouse.

any help or advice would be great :)

CBMotorsport

Post by CBMotorsport » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:43 am

spencerbanks wrote:Hi

I've been thinking about getting a quadgrow myself as the last few years my chilli plants and crops have really struggled the pods just wont grow to full size have a good size naga plant with a fair few pods on but the biggest are barely half size and they're ripening allready can you use the quadgrow inside and outside also can you use clay pebbles or nothing i have a smallish growbox to give the chilli plants a good start i have a smallish 4 tier walk in greenhouse.

any help or advice would be great :)

Do you grow under glass? Small fruits in my experience go hand in hand with low temps. You really need a greenhouse in the UK to grow consistently good yields of decent size fruit.

CB

Wilf
Admin
Admin

Post by Wilf » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:07 pm

After using both chilligrow and quadgrow, I think the quadgrow is the more useable size and holds enough water for about 2 weeks in the summer with decent sized plants in. We have Anaheims and Padrons growing in ours so fairly big plants and both are cropping really well. The Aji Red Lemon has hit the greenhouse roof with plenty of big fruits on. The chilligrow has habs in, but I think this planter is more suited to smaller ornamental types.

Anja

Post by Anja » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:46 am

I also have both quadgrows and chiligrows - and though I would have preferred a larger water reservoir in the chiligrow, my plants seem quite happy with the 6 l pots.

I am growing Lemon Drop, Joe's Long, and Purple Jalapeno in one and Cascabel, Aji PIneapple, and Habanero Tree in the other one - all are getting very big and setting a lot of fruit. It seems that 6 l is enough to grow rather big plants - my Habanero tree is a little higher than 2 m now, and the other plants are very bushy and app. 1 m.

I have only just started the quadgrow with Habanero Dulce, Hatch, Chocolate Scotch Bonnet, and Naga Morich - but next year I will only be using that for plants that I want to grow very big, as I find that 11 l is a good size for that.

The chiligrow: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/w ... directlink

The quadgrow: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/P ... directlink

beltwang

Post by beltwang » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:26 pm

Before:
After:
Great bit of kit, this was taken just after a prolific harvest.
I'm getting another two of these for this season.

silvercue

Post by silvercue » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:42 pm

The chilligrows smaller size encourages earlier fruiting and more focus on fruit growth than root/branch I understand.

I have the Quads myself and I have to say the plants grow a bit too big!!!

Wilf
Admin
Admin

Post by Wilf » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:37 pm

silvercue wrote:The chilligrows smaller size encourages earlier fruiting and more focus on fruit growth than root/branch I understand.

I have the Quads myself and I have to say the plants grow a bit too big!!!
You are probably right, but with 3 plants in a hot greenhouse they also need topping up regularly. I think the quadgrow has the correct tank size to enable watering to be left a while but could do with slightly smaller pots to keep the plants from growing like mad. Quadgrow tank but smaller pots would be ideal, spacing on the chilligrow is also a bit close together for some plants.

ickyan
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by ickyan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:23 pm

Do these systems just consist of a pot with a wick and a reservoir?
Shurely you could make your own.

beltwang

Post by beltwang » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:00 pm

Correct but u pay for the nutes too which play a big part.
I still had a large yield, so I'm going to get another for this season.

dennish
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by dennish » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:02 am

Hey chaps,

Santa brought me a Chilligrow this year...

I'm thinking to start off indoors in early Spring and then transfer to a plastic green house say April time...

Any general tips or advice?

Any varieties / species which are particularly suited?

I see you have had good success with a similar set-up beltwang? Those plants look tall, I was hoping to get away with a plastic growhouse which is 1.5m high... How tall is yours?

Cheers,

Dennis
Last edited by dennish on Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beltwang

Post by beltwang » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Mines 6x4ft so about 183cm tall.you won't be disapointed with the chilligrow.
I think its down to the variety which you put in it.I put in 7pods last year and a TS morouga (they are generaly tall growing plants).

eeyore
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by eeyore » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:51 pm

how big are the wicks on these?
Just wondering as i'm in to minds to make one or 6 :!: :lol: and spend the £50 notes another solar grow
(ether way this year there getting my money again! :lol: )

beltwang

Post by beltwang » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:05 pm

I think they are approx 12in tall 6 wide, however mine were triangle shaped .
I'm tempted by the solar grow, any good?

eeyore
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by eeyore » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:54 am

Simply amazing. :mrgreen:
I've been dabbling in hydro for a few years and have found it to be one of the best systems to use.

I'm thinking of flogging on my nft system to buy another solar grow.

beltwang

Post by beltwang » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:27 pm

Couldnt wait any longer, Ive chucked a Mulo de tiro,Douglah,7 pod Jonah and a tumbling tom in the quadgrow to start season two! fingers crossed the frost has past.
I bought another two this year, so will putting the rest of this years chillies in a month or so.

Maniac

Post by Maniac » Fri May 25, 2012 10:01 am

beltwang wrote:Couldnt wait any longer, Ive chucked a Mulo de tiro,Douglah,7 pod Jonah and a tumbling tom in the quadgrow to start season two! fingers crossed the frost has past.
I bought another two this year, so will putting the rest of this years chillies in a month or so.
If I only had space for more I would buy another one or two as well. I have planted a Pasilla Bajio and Anaheim Big plants along with two tomato plants (mixed up the tomato labels early in the season and don't really know what was planted).

Fingers crossed now for good weather.

And as this is a review thread - I can easly recommend this system to anyone who wants to have a good crop of chillis or literally any other plant.

Emie

Post by Emie » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:49 am

Emie here from Greenhouse Sensation - hope you don't mind a little boast from me regarding the Quadgrow - the wonderful Wilf at Chillis Galore is now growing ALL his chillies in Quadgrows! He said - and I quote - "You still cant beat the Quadgrow, the chillies are 4 to 5ft tall now and are consuming tanks of water quickly (a sign of excellent plant health and yield production). Quadgrows are so easy and best planters we've used." Making us a blush a wee bit 8)

Jonapeno

Post by Jonapeno » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:15 pm

The chillgrows aren't bad either, I had a 6ft+ Naga plant in one this year (until it got stricken with a disease). Can't wait to see how they perform in normal weather.

Edit: Before the disease I was filling the reservoir at least every other day.

Slyboy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Slyboy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:46 pm

I love my quad grows. I have had more pods from the plants in those than the other 15 plants put together. I will be getting more of these at some point, just have to work out where I can fit them!!

beltwang

Post by beltwang » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:54 pm

Has anyone got these out in the greenhouse yet? My windowsill is rammed.

Wilf
Admin
Admin

Post by Wilf » Thu May 02, 2013 6:51 pm

We have most of our Quadgrows planted in greenhouse just one more to fill, and we've had frosts this week

Maniac

Post by Maniac » Tue May 21, 2013 1:20 pm

Yup, mine is in the small greenhouse since the beginning of April. Does really well as every season.

TheOzricle
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by TheOzricle » Sat May 25, 2013 3:08 pm

It's a little late for me now this season but I see greenhouse sensation now have a coco filled solar quadgrow with dripper system. It's not cheap but its a maybe for next year.

TheOzricle
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by TheOzricle » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:44 pm

I'm not sure that normal tomato feed will work well. When growing in the quadgrow I would think they will need all the nutrients needed for healthy growth. I think you will need the feed to contain everything trace elements and all I think a weak hydro feed would be better. I am using general hydro floramato with flora micro. I would think using that at 1/3 strength might work.
Why didn't your quadgrows come with the nutrients?