Ionising Daylight Bulbs

Growing, lighting & nutrients etc

Moderators: chilliman64, Ben123, Kathy, Wilf

ronniedeb
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Ionising Daylight Bulbs

Post by ronniedeb » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:08 pm

I bought these bulbs recently: (http://www.androv-medical.com/product/1 ... light-bulb), with the intention of using them in my growbox. I hadnt spotted that they had this "ionising" function. Does anyone know if this will have any negative effect on my seedlings?

Thanks

Rónán

Blink
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Re: Ionising Daylight Bulbs

Post by Blink » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:15 am

No harm whatsoever, and that "ionising function" is, as i was explained to by my friend, who understands how that works, just marketing stunt. He said that there is no way that you can do that with a bulb.

Experiment

Post by Experiment » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:45 pm

These bulbs are OK, looses a bit ooomph as they are full spectrum and wasted green light but a bit expensive i feel.

Cheap CFL bulbs with similar fittings would do the same result watt for watt. Shop around as i feel these are way to expensive for the job you want. Cheap £1 22 watt CFL daylight bulbs do the same job.

These bulbs cannot cause ionising to the air molecules, it would be very dangerous if it could.

Good luck with your seedlings and 2012 season.

Dave.

ronniedeb
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ronniedeb » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:48 pm

Ok good to know, not that I've been ripped off, but that they will do no harm. I had presumed that a Daylight Bulb would provide better light than a normal CFL.
Thanks
Ronan

Experiment

Post by Experiment » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:07 pm

It all depends on how the bulb makes the 'daylight'.

Some use chemical coatings like phosphors, others use red, blue and green light to make up the light. Blue light or mainly blue light would be best for them at the early seedling stage but a balanced light is a happy plant, it will still grow, green light is not needed but is about 33% of the light output. Make up for it with another bulb :mrgreen:

Cheapest usually is best for the small wattage CFL bulbs, daisy chain a few together (safely wired now!) and they do wonders.

Experiment with different types of CFL bulbs and see what gives best results. A reflector and white growbox helps maximise light uptake as the seedlings grow.

Dave.

Experiment

Post by Experiment » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:15 pm

Ionising the air is dangerous. It can make toxic products like ozone and other nasties like oxides of nitrogen. A spark (like lightning) causes it to happen naturally. It is also how nasty car smog polution is caused.

Not sure if a flame of a candle could break the chemical bonds of the air molecules like nitrogen and oxygen. Ozone generators use electrical sparks to do this.

I have read of falling water causing negative ions, that is way people feel good if they shower under a large waterfall.

It all happens in the bulb as Ickyan has mentioned.

Dave.

ickyan
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by ickyan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:03 am

Bit off the point but I've heard that people use candles to ionise/de-ionise the air, but if the bulb causes ionisation it would only occur in the bulb anyway.