Grow tent review - Secret Jardin DR120 rev.2

Growing, lighting & nutrients etc

Moderators: Kathy, Wilf, chilliman64

Ben

Grow tent review - Secret Jardin DR120 rev.2

Post by Ben » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:48 pm

Hi Folks,

Finally got around to purchasing a grow tent so I can light my plants a few extra hours a day without lighting up the street and annoying /amusing the neighbours and local constabulary (had a visit a few years back but that's another story hehe)

I wanted something to fill the space I currently use and the Secret Jardin DR120 rev. 2 had very good reviews so, thanks to 3 counties hydroponics, who were the best price online at £130, I now have the tent... here's a look around as I build it and first impressions.

By chilliben at 2012-01-31

The tent is supplied in a heavy duty canvas style holdall - should you wish to be mobile in your growing ahem!?

Helping with this review , hopefully minus claws!

Opening up the bag, we have nicely packaged contents including some instructions.

Nice clear instructions and labelled poles so that even stoned you could put this up... hey wait a sec.... ahah...ahhhh!

About 15 mins later - mainly shooing cat away with his claws (fortunately he decided to go and terrorise his brother instead!) we have an erected grow tent..

Plants and props moved in under a light (in this case 600w HID MH just to see effect but will likely go back to the CFL for next couple of weeks at least)

and as you can see, or rather 'can't see' the tent is nicely light-proof - this has a 600w HID on inside and the only light showing is where I've not cinched tight the top vent...

Every vent has double cinching draw cords enabling you to put fittings /ventilation etc. through and then light-proof the exit...

Build quality looks and feels very good. There are two velcro covers for ventilation mesh panels in lower sides of tent and an insert drip tray complete with velcro tie-loops to attach to vertical corner poles. At the top for lamp /fan hanging there are three cross-bars supplied - these are rated to take up to 30kg so good and sturdy stuff.

All in all I'm very impressed with the tent - particularly at the price 3 counties had it - I was shocked, shopping around, to see the same tent range right up to £200 in price - so always check around folks!

Experiment

Re: Grow tent review - Secret Jardin DR120 rev.2

Post by Experiment » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:48 pm

Snap!

Try to cover the sides with a cat proof lagging as cats like to dig the claws in and use it as a scratch post. This does give holes that can cause light leaks. I had that problem.

Try to be careful with the zips, mine gave up the ghost quickly but were used often. Take your time to make sure they do not catch in the flaps and they should last longer.

Have you got fans for it or just leaving the door open constantly? Heat does build up really quick if door is left closed, even small gaps are of little help to HID heat.

May it be the home of many a monster plant.

Dave.

Ben

Post by Ben » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:10 pm

hehe cheers Dave,

I am going to try and keep cats out but we've got four and two at least are a bit lively to say the least...

Re: lighting, I think I'll switch back to the 200w cfl for couple of weeks - just put the 600w HID in there to get an impression of what it would be like. To keep closed and run 600w light I think I'd need to get a 5inch Ruck to extract or risk heat killing plants...

I've put some cable ties as zip pullers on the zips to aid their use but yes will be careful as they are quite stiff. Great tent though, am really chuffed - once finished doing nursery duty for young plants it will become a year round home for a select few year-round plants - probably in the loft once I've finished flooring it...

Experiment

Post by Experiment » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:21 pm

You will find the tent very fan friendly, loads of ways to plump ducting in and out and all cables.

Not easy for one person to put up, can be done but a huge hassle, only downside about the tent.

Dave.

Ben

Post by Ben » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:48 pm

what kind of fans and lighting are you using in yours Dave?

Looking at Greens Horticulture, a Ruck 125mm low power version should be sufficient to clear way more than the tent volume 60 times an hour, yet mj forums seem to suggest looking at getting no smaller than 150mm high power to keep tent cool enough... big difference in price so would like to think could get away with the smaller one if possible.

Experiment

Post by Experiment » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:19 pm

Ben wrote:what kind of fans and lighting are you using in yours Dave?

Looking at Greens Horticulture, a Ruck 125mm low power version should be sufficient to clear way more than the tent volume 60 times an hour, yet mj forums seem to suggest looking at getting no smaller than 150mm high power to keep tent cool enough... big difference in price so would like to think could get away with the smaller one if possible.

I use a 600watt HID light, so both HPS and MH light. MH gives out more heat than HPS i find.

I have 100mm for intake and 150mm for output but never use them both, one would do the job as air pressure has a habit of equalising.
If you need to use a carbon filter then get a 150mm (6inch) fan as the filter will inhibit air flow a good bit.
If you can get ducting right to the base of the bulb and can switch the fan on for all of the time lights are on then 100mm would do but 125mm or 150mm be better if budget allows. The bigger fans can move more air quickly though, depends on how quick it builds up and how well you can get rid of the excess hot air as far from the tent as possible.

They are noisy too, if noise is going to be an issue then read the data sheets first for the quietest models. They do work but can be an issue if you share a house with the non growers, not an issue when you are alone. :mrgreen:

Dave.

Anja

Post by Anja » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:27 pm

why not use some LED light instead? No heat problem and a cleaner environment :)

I would use 2-4 lamps 12 W each or a 50 W UFO for a tent that size. And my guess would be that keeping the door open for ½ hour a couple of times a day would be enough to remove excess humidity...

Less work and less noise :P

By the way - great tent!!!

Ben

Post by Ben » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:32 pm

Don't have any LED arrays at the moment and don't really have enough funds to invest in these...I already have the HID lamps... I'm tempted to change to LED kit at some point but not sure I'll be able to do it this year, though I agree re: environmental issues and heat etc... might compare prices and see if I can explore that route as an alternative.

Not sure how well a 50w UFO would compare to a 600w 7200k MH HID for growth however...

snagglepuss
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by snagglepuss » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:55 am

nice tent i got the 100 version but got mine as a complete kit from ebay came with light & extractor fan, best thing i bought

Ben

Post by Ben » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:31 am

slightly off-topic but re: LED arrays it looks like I'd really need something in the region of this

http://www.hydrogrowled.com/Penetrator-336X-P83.aspx for a 4'x4' grow tent

or two of these:

http://www.hydrogrowled.com/Penetrator-126X-P79.aspx

or four of these:

http://www.growlightsled.co.uk/90w-ufo- ... fAodgy7Cug

to effectively match a 600w HID MH....

that's an awful lotta cash - way beyond my means currently...

will look at DIY options to see what it would cost to put together something similar to the hydrogrow but it looks like LED are out for the time being for anything other than raising seedlings / young plants.

Would be interested to see what kind of results others have had in terms of taking plants to full maturity and harvest using only LED lighting (as I'll be wanting to use the grow-tent for some year-round production as well as propagation etc...)

Anja

Post by Anja » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:28 pm

I planted three chili sorts (TAM Jalapeno, Nora de Bola, Vicente's Sweet Habanero) in June and have raised them under 17 W LED all the way.

I had the first ripe fruits in November - not as many as in a summer greenhouse, but OK :)

I planted more seeds in October/November, and I have been removing a lot of flowers on some of the plants already.

A few pictures:

from 13th November: https://picasaweb.google.com/1099273082 ... directlink

Various chilies - also my overwintered chilies that really look good:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1099273082 ... directlink

By the way - you absolutely do not need that much LED for a 4x4 tent - I would use one - may be two like the one in one my photos (17 W) Or maybe one 50 W UFO. It would be a waste of money and totally overkill to use more than that...

Ben

Post by Ben » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:37 am

Hi Anja,

can you give me an indication of total harvest from your LED set up? I'd like to think I could get away with such a small array to raise say 6 plants to full maturity but it just seems unlikely given what I've read so far on LED growing - admittedly based largely on mj growers but those guys are waaaay ahead usually on any grow-tech front and they seem to suggest needing in the region of 1w led for about every 3w hid to get remotely comparable harvest results. I've no concerns that LED can produce - just not convinced yet that they can produce on anywhere near as productive a level unless looking at about that kind of ratio...