Shop bought Compost

Growing, lighting & nutrients etc

Moderators: Wilf, chilliman64, Kathy

TheLargeOne

Shop bought Compost

Post by TheLargeOne » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:05 pm

theres always a debate as to best compost to use
my current favourite is the Verve compost from B&Q (switched after a very poor year from Wickes)
they are doing 3 x 60litres for £5.98 8)

ChilliJay
Hot Head
Hot Head

Re: Shop bought Compost

Post by ChilliJay » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:49 pm

I've seen that in B&Q looks pretty good stuff. The compost I'm using this year is westland multi-purpose with John innes. Got 3 50L bags for £12 (so ended up getting 12 :shock: - gotta stock up) at local garden centre, much better quality than my last years compost.

mrprogress
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by mrprogress » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:59 pm

The thing I don't like about Westland is I find it very difficult to tell how wet it is from looking at it, apart from that I find it performs well. I have just got some verve to try and also rate the miracle gro stuff however economy of scale does come into it I will only have about 25 chilli plants and maybe 20 others in compost in pots so hardly a big commercial grow.

Jody

Post by Jody » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:52 pm

I had good results with the cheapo b+q compost last year. I am going to stick with it again this year.

Mustafa Chilli
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Mustafa Chilli » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:10 pm

I too use the Verve 125l (now £6) but I find that it has to be sifted as there's plastic and stones in it. I've had 4 of them now, and all have had plastic pieces in it.

I then mix it with well-rotted sifted horse manure.

Rosh
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by Rosh » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:45 am

Several years late to the party, but I bought waitrose own brand multi purpose compost and nearly all the seeds failed to germinate /died of damping off and the ones that survived just havent grown past a few inches. Made the mistake of repotting an overwintered plant into the compost and it's totally stopped producing flowers and the pods on it have ceased growing. Probably just a bad batch, but still, not a good experience, having to restart my grow about 4 months late.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

bill b
Seedling
Seedling

Post by bill b » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:46 pm

Rosh wrote:Several years late to the party, but I bought waitrose own brand multi purpose compost and nearly all the seeds failed to germinate /died of damping off and the ones that survived just havent grown past a few inches. Made the mistake of repotting an overwintered plant into the compost and it's totally stopped producing flowers and the pods on it have ceased growing. Probably just a bad batch, but still, not a good experience, having to restart my grow about 4 months late.

Hi rosh thats tough luck mate having to start all over again, suffice to say you will not buy that compost again. Just as a note i tried a different one this year as i was fed up with levingtons and all the weird bits and pieces that i find in it so i bought westlands gro sure multi use and i just threw seeds into it and covered with a baggie, some in a heated propagator and some directly under lights in a tent and the germination rate has been outstanding compared to previous years. The oldest plants are now about six weeks old and looking very good. It says it feeds for up to four months but i always take those sort of claims with a pinch of salt, overall though a nice compost its light and fluffy and not full of crap and doesnt break the bank at a fiver for fifty litres.

ScorpionKing
Seedling
Seedling

Post by ScorpionKing » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:51 am

I plan on buying a load of Verve. What supplements do I want to be adding to it?
I thought 30% vermiculite and some slow release chicken manure pellets will work well.

Heefy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Heefy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:26 pm

You can't go too far wrong with John Innes compost. No1 and 2 for seeds and seedlings and then 3 and 4 for plants. Very good quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rosh
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Re: RE: Re: Shop bought Compost

Post by Rosh » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:50 pm

Heefy wrote:You can't go too far wrong with John Innes compost. No1 and 2 for seeds and seedlings and then 3 and 4 for plants. Very good quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah, I absolutely should have stuck with the John Innes. From hereon in I will avoid deviation!

ChilliBadger
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by ChilliBadger » Sun May 08, 2016 6:43 pm

These days I use J Innes seed sowing, & nos. 1 & 2 to get them going, then for their final pot-up mix in maybe 50/50 Plagron Bax Mix soil, as a real treat for the plants. It's good stuff. I've not tried any other pro grade soils but they seem to like it.

Flamethrower
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Flamethrower » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:47 pm

A lot of my posts from a few days ago have disappeared - wrote a long post on all this darn it. Would have thought JI a bit heavy but if it’s working. I have found a lot of reasonable MPs like westland and J Arther Bowers absolutely fine to the point I see no need to change; perlite and vermiculite certainly a good additive. Lots of MPs have slow release in now - not sure how long they would last chillis and I keep repotting but trying out organic Chilli magic feed this year. On that note some, some composts won’t be ideal for seedlings I suspect - some cheap but the feed can be a bit high er than I’d like - miracle grow is too nitrogen heavy for my liking. For some seed/seedlings I’ve picked out half the feed balls and broken down the compost - perlite and vermiculte esp the latter for seeds/seedlings good.
Coir I have found dreadful on the whole and tried a load over the years - there can be problems with the cleaning and buffering of the coir - some plants grow fine in coir - tomatoes, tough geraniums etc but others just sit there going ‘help...’ and won’t root down. Miracle grows expand and gro I tried this year - pretty expensive so hoping it would work well since coir should have good AFP (air filled porosity); same problems and chillies didn’t like it neat; better luck as a mix with normal MP but at the risk of distrubing the roots I actually tipped out some chillies growing in the coir and put them back in the same pots with normal MP and they rooted down. If your trying coir from a dry state make sure you work it through and it is fully hydrated. I’ll experiment more.

Flamethrower
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Flamethrower » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:49 pm

Ah there’s two compost threads!