LED floodlight

Growing, lighting & nutrients etc

Moderators: chilliman64, Kathy, Wilf

nagaz
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

LED floodlight

Post by nagaz » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:32 am

I have placed an order for this LED grow floodlight. I want to experiment with it. To see whether it will be sufficient to keep a couple of plants producing through the winter months.

Any thoughts?

OutsideIn

Re: LED floodlight

Post by OutsideIn » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:35 am

Have you got a link to the manufacturers website?

nagaz
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by nagaz » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:11 am

OutsideIn wrote:Have you got a link to the manufacturers website?
I have the link for the seller. Not sure who it's manufactured by.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOPGROW-30X3W ... 1c353ae393

adie

Post by adie » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:46 pm

Interesting integrated cluster. I would be very interested in your findings with these. The multi-chip units are available from aliexpress etc too but the validity of the data offered is always a bit sketchy at best.

nagaz
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by nagaz » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:48 pm

adie wrote:Interesting integrated cluster. I would be very interested in your findings with these. The multi-chip units are available from aliexpress etc too but the validity of the data offered is always a bit sketchy at best.
Yeah it's best to take the data and claims such as this is equivalent to such and such with a pinch of salt.

I have been considering LED lights for awhile now but anything that looks like that it might do the job is usually expensive. Seeing the results from the experiment conducted by Outsidein has pushed me to bite the bullet and buy one. It's within my budget and if it is completely useless I won't feel too depressed.

Going back to findings, I'll post results or lack of from using this light on my grow log.

Although guys, ssshhhh. Don't tell the Mrs or where I plan to put it.

OutsideIn

Post by OutsideIn » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:08 pm

Looks like the emitters in your light are made by Bridgelux from the US, I've not used them before so I couldn't comment. However, I wish you luck with it and I'm keen to see how it performs.

adie

Post by adie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:39 pm

any idea which bridgelux? Couldnt track it down on google images. All the ones i can find are yellow-covered units

nagaz
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by nagaz » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:56 pm

OutsideIn wrote:Looks like the emitters in your light are made by Bridgelux from the US, I've not used them before so I couldn't comment. However, I wish you luck with it and I'm keen to see how it performs.
Thanks.

Sorry when you asked which manufacturer I thought you meant the actual unit. The LED chip, as you say is claimed to have been made by Bridgelux.

I hope I get some positive results from it and not have wasted my money. Even if I can't get the plants fruiting I should be able to use it to start off young plants.

adie

Post by adie » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:41 am

This is an interesting setup with the heatsinks and coolers using similar integrated chips. A little pricey though (pk of 3)

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 14119.html

If it puts out light you can use it for something so its never wasted plus you can always put it back on ebay if you find something better...

adie

Post by adie » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:43 pm

Has anyone considered multiple warm white LED modules like the one below with 10 LED chips. Currently the XM-L is one of the most efficient emitters available for standard lighting - i know its full spectrum rather than just the specific 400's and 600's wavelengths but are putting out 100L/watt so (without getting too heavily into PAR and microeinsteins) just curious if anyone thinks that overall it might produce good results.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190876977707

nagaz
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by nagaz » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:04 am

I was looking at white floodlights before I came across the grow light. I decided to go with the grow light due to the specific wavelengths.

adie

Post by adie » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:30 am

That makes sense - i was curious if you actually get more overall light output from the XML than the specifics due to their greater efficiencies as most of the coloured LEDs on ebay are quoting lower efficiencies. I think an experiment is needed!

nagaz
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by nagaz » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:09 pm

An experiment would be great but unfortunately don't have the funds. Keep us posted if you ever try a white light.

The light is here, that was extremely quick from China. Would have got it on Monday but was delayed due to the bank holiday.
Build quality looks decent. Not very heavy. It is quite bright even during the day. But will still need to keep it quite close to the plants so won't be getting too much coverage. Should be OK for my purpose though as I will be using it in a wardrobe.

Won't be able to set it up for a week as the spare bedroom is in use, the Mrs's sister is visiting.

I will update any progress or lack of in my grow log.

madmick

Post by madmick » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:45 pm

So how do these fair energy use wise compared to the energy efficient bulbs like im using (125watt)

nagaz
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by nagaz » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:32 pm

wurge wrote:Any follow up on this?
It's doing well. I'm getting flowering and fruiting from it. I've posted pics on my grow log.

baconsalad

Post by baconsalad » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:42 pm

How big are the plants you have under the light?
From what I have gathered this kind of light is better for more mature plants due to the higher amount of red spectrum lights.
I have also just purchased a full spectrum LED lamp but I am thinking of buying another that is specifically blue spectrum light for my seedlings as this is the type of light the plants use for growth as opposed to red which aids flowering and fruiting.

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliJez » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:32 pm

I'm not sure how long you'll have to wait for Nagaz to reply. He hasn't been active on the forum for a while. I for one will be delighted if he does reply however. I always appreciated his participation.

As regards wavelength, choosing blue for seedlings will be optimal but it's my understanding that chillies are pretty tolerant and a mix of red and blue works well throughout. Better experts than me here though... :P