Hi can any body recommend any good books on how to keep and grow chillis
Thanks dale

Flecam
Hot Head
Hot Head

Re: Chilli books

Post by Flecam » Fri May 02, 2014 7:12 pm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Complete-Ch ... itt+chilli

This is regarded as one of the best ones.

I havnt read it myself. I prefer the forum as things are progressing so quick. It is meant to be a great book though. For Cooking, go for proper chefs instead of generic chilli cook books.

Hope this helps.

Fle

nicobass

Post by nicobass » Fri May 02, 2014 7:54 pm

I have this book and is full of very useful information - best buy for me.

Slyboy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Slyboy » Fri May 02, 2014 8:01 pm

Ditto. Great section on pests and diseases on chilli plants too. A must buy for serious growers.

Another good one is by Matt Simpson from Simpson Seeds. Called chile, chilli, chilli or something like that.

chilliman64

Post by chilliman64 » Sat May 03, 2014 12:50 am

I have several I can recommend.

I am a bit of a fan of Dave DeWitt and Paul Bosland so anything by either of them is usually pretty good.

The Whole Chile Pepper Book by DeWitt and Gerlach - Mr DeWitt wrote a couple of books with Ms Gerlach - no colour pics in this one but absolutely jam packed with recipes of all different types and some chilli history in there also. Recommended for foodies.

Peppers: Vegetable and Spice Capsicums by Bosland and Votava - *warning - science content in this one* - this book was produced in conjunction with the Dept of Agronomy & Horticulture at NMSU USA, as such it is heavy on the science but still readable and useful for the chilli grower regardless of the scale of their grow. from the back cover: "Aimed at advanced students and growers, this indispensable book provides the reader with up to date comprehensive coverage on all aspects of the plant's history, composition, production, harvesting and related diseases and pests." the book contains sections on seeds, plant (cross) breeding, different methods of seed sowing/growing, mulching etc Great for growers.

Peppers of the World + The Pepper Garden both by DeWitt and Bosland - two great books that helped my chilli addiction in the early days, reference books and growing guides, unfortunately both heavily plagiarised in The Complete Chile Pepper Book (IMHO). Excellent growing reference books with plenty of colour pics in Peppers of the World.

Chilli, Chili, Chile by our very own Matt 'chillipig' Simpson - a very interesting production packed with chilli history, recipes, growing advice etc. Matt is one of the Simpsons at Simpsons Seeds, he knows his stuff and all CG members should grab a copy of this book! Great general book on chilli.

Too Many Chiles! by DeWitt and Gerlach - yes, another one by DeWitt, what can I say, he writes a lot about chillies! this small book (under 100 pages) has some growing advice but it is mainly a recipe book for preserving your harvest. sections of the book include what to do with fresh chillies, preserving/ canning pods, freezing chillies, powder making, smoking pods, pickling, oils, jelly etc I think this is out of print but ebay or alibris etc may uncover the odd copy. Buy it if you can.

The Fragrant Chilli by Michael Bailes - this is the only Australian chilli book I know of, the author was (is?) a grower of chillies and other greenery on the NSW Central Coast. this book is a bit different to many chilli books in that it goes into detail on the naturopathic (is that a word) properties of chillies. it also has sections on growing, recipes, chilli folklore. like Chilli, Chili, Chile it is a good read and definitely recommended for those who like to buy chilli books.

Compendium of Pepper Diseases by APS Press - as the title says, this is all about capsicum pests and diseases. this book is very comprehensive in its discussions about viral, bacterial, physiological, herbicidal and nutritional disorders and insect damage diagnosis and treatment. there are a few pages of colour pics which help with identification. a bit expensive but worth it.

The Complete Chile Pepper Book by DeWitt - despite my opening statement I found this to be a bit disappointing - although the artwork and print quality are excellent, as are the coloured pics and written content, I found it to be a bit of a rehash of some of his other books with a few superhots thrown in. If you don't have any of his other books then this is a must have. If you have a few of his other books then it's up to you, I had a few of his other books and even after thumbing through this at a bookstore I still bought it! Recommended reading.

Peppers by Amal Naj - this is a great little paperback that goes into a bit of chilli history. one of the things it explores is the 'tabasco wars' in the USA which is quite an interesting story for those that don't know about it. this book is well and humorously written.

I do have a few others but these are my favourites and I do not hesitate to recommend any/all of them. like a lot of things, books get a bit dated with the advancement of time. most of the books above were written in a time when the Red Savina was the king of the chilli world so there are not any/many references to superhots except for DeWitt's Complete Chile Pepper Book.

hey, yolo - buy them all!!!

snowy1433
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by snowy1433 » Sat May 03, 2014 9:37 pm

Hi,

I bought a book titled Growing Chillies by Jason Nickels. I believe I got it from Amazon and it is tilted towards UK chilli growers. I found it really useful.

Phil

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliJez » Sat May 03, 2014 11:27 pm

I really like this book;

http://www.amazon.com/Peppers-The-Domes ... 0292704674

It's out of print I believe and a little outdated but written by someone who's articulate and has a genuine passion for and understanding of peppers. The best I've read for example on pre-columbian origins and worldwide dispersal. Her description of Rocotillo is the reason I'm growing it this year.

For practical growing chillies in the UK I second chilliman64's recommendation of Matt Simpson's book. Very practical and encouraging, UK focussed and quite cheap too.

I like the Bosland and Votava book too. It kind of lays out the ground rules for the things to consider in commercial capsicum production. It's the best place I've come across for providing precise information though it's by no means comprehensive.

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliJez » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:18 pm

Flecam
Hot Head
Hot Head

The Red Hot Chilli sauce book

Post by Flecam » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:51 pm

Hi fellow chilli heads.

I bought a new cookbook today called ' The red hot chilli sauce book' by Dan May. Some awesome recipes in there for sauces, marinades, rubs etc, from all over the world.

It was published in 2013, and the author seems to know his chillies, and uses more than the usual common chillies such as Fatali, Aji's Naga Jolokia etc.

I found it for £5.99 in Homesense (sister company of TK Maxx) although, looking at the recipes, I would of paid full price. Found it on Amazon, so have a look at the link and see what you think.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Hot-Chilli- ... ds=dan+may

I think I'll have a pop at 'Prime Minister Errol Barrow's Hot Chilli sauce when my Bonnets pod 8)

Cheers

Fle

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Re: The Red Hot Chilli sauce book

Post by ChilliJez » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:37 pm

Sounds great Fle
Flecam wrote: I think I'll have a pop at 'Prime Minister Errol Barrow's Hot Chilli sauce when my Bonnets pod 8)
Fle
I'm looking forward to hearing of the result. I'd vote for a bloke that does hot sauce! :lol:

Perhaps a Mod would move this to the book review thread so it doesn't get lost in time, :P

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliJez » Mon May 25, 2015 10:00 am

Does anyone have a copy of Hydroponic Capsicum Production?
http://www.amazon.com/Hydroponic-Capsic ... 0958673551

What do you think? Is it useful? Thanks. :P

Chilli Keith
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Chilli Keith » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:18 am

Looks interesting. A little expensive though!

Mustafa Chilli
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Mustafa Chilli » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:43 am

Chilli Keith wrote:Looks interesting. A little expensive though!
That's an understatement.

You can get it for £20 http://gardenofedenhydroponics.co.uk/ca ... -p-18.html

No image with the following, but sounds like the same book http://www.basementlighting.com/Merchan ... /PROD/bv12 for less than £20

Or £22 http://www.hydrohobby.co.uk/hydroponic- ... ction.html

All are better on the pocket than Amazon's one.

HTH

Paul

MarkS
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by MarkS » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:17 pm

Hi

I have bought a later edition copy of

The Complete Chilli Pepper Book: A Gardener's Guide to Choosing, Growing, Preserving, and Cooking
by Bosland and DeWitt - colour pics and good descriptions of the chilli families and absolutely jam packed with recipes of all different types and some chilli history in there also.

Recommended for foodies.

brad1001
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by brad1001 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:34 pm

My wife's just bought me the RHS red hot chilli grower.
Its quite a good informative book with a plant variety list recipes ect and I think it was about a tenner posted so good value aswell

MarkS
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by MarkS » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:34 am

Hi Brad

I bought that book whilst working away in Edinburgh - needed some reading whilst sat in restaurants/pubs etc in an evening

I have to say for a tenner its not a half bad book

dennish
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by dennish » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:47 pm

MarkS wrote:Hi Brad

I bought that book whilst working away in Edinburgh - needed some reading whilst sat in restaurants/pubs etc in an evening

I have to say for a tenner its not a half bad book
This book going for £3 on The Book People site now...
http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/w ... hot+chilli

MarkS
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by MarkS » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:01 pm

cheers Dennish - £7.00 difference - thats 2 x pints in my money lol