Gardenline Propagator from Aldi

Growing, lighting & nutrients etc

Moderators: chilliman64, Kathy, Wilf

Birdman
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Gardenline Propagator from Aldi

Post by Birdman » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:17 am

This is my second year growing and early on I decided to use my old reptile heat mat to help germination. It worked very well, but wasn't the most convenient set-up to keep covered, tend to seedlings, position etc so was very tempted to buy a propagator until I saw the prices. Then I noticed this one in Aldi for £12 and decided to take the risk.

Basically I was very pleasantly surprised. If you consider how little it costs, it's a really handy piece of kit. There is no manual control for the temp and no display but I used a cheap thermometer I had around. The docs said "will maintain the temp a few degrees above the ambient temperature" but in my normal-if-a-bit-errattic-for-early-UK-spring-temperatured house, it hovered consistently around 25 degrees, which was perfect for chilli seeds and have had great germination results. It's not very big so you have to organise space well, but fitted nicely in the space I had. Also the cover is not too high and not too low. The build quality seems sturdy enough but we'll have to see if it survives sitting dormant until next spring. Overall it is definitely great value for £12.

Dickie
Hot Head
Hot Head

Re: Gardenline Propagator from Aldi

Post by Dickie » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:45 pm

I've got one of those from Aldi! Mine was being sold off because the lid was cracked - a fiver I think. I put a bit of tape over the crack and it's been going strong for 3 years now, works very well.

Birdman
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Re: Gardenline Propagator from Aldi

Post by Birdman » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:18 am

Dickie wrote:been going strong for 3 years now
That's good to know! Hopefully mine will hold up too and I can look forward to using it early next year for germination.