GS Vitopod Heated Propagator

Growing, lighting & nutrients etc

Moderators: Kathy, chilliman64, Wilf

Wilf
Admin
Admin

Post by Wilf »

We bought the larger heated propagator for the 2007 season and wasn't disappointed. The Vitopod is available heated or unheated, both have large vents and a lid that can be opened gradually to manage the temperature. The heated version provides more control than any other heated propagator and can be controlled to within 1C to manage growing conditions more closely than ever before. We set ours at 29C to start with, placed it outside in an unheated greenhouse in March. Germination started within a week and we lost no seedlings even tho' the night temps were dipping to frosts. They are not the cheapest propagators available but are well made, very controllable, and at this size will easily hold 4-5 times the amount of seed plugs the small standard size tray propagator will hold, which does make it a good buy. With the success of this years plants we are even considering buying a second one for next year to get all seeds germinating together and hopefully even earlier.
Available direct from Greenhouse Sensation. http://www.greenhousesensation.co.uk
chillipig

Re: GS Vitopod Heated Propagator

Post by chillipig »

Quite simply this is the Rolls Royce of propergators.
I have the large size, and am adapting it, with extra side panels to see how much of an improvement it will be as an overwintering aid, not big enough to over winter as many as I'd like so only the rarest will go in.
I'll post some pics as and when I have htem.
Biff

Post by Biff »

I'm on the lookout for a heated propagator for next season to get the seeds up a bit earlier. I've noticed some have thermostats that go up to 40 degrees, while the only one I have seen locally (New Zealand, not the huge choice you have in the UK) is by Stewart and only goes up to 28 degrees. I note that the Vitopod goes up to 30 degrees, is that sufficient ? I've seen various ideal temperatures for germination, just wondered whether 28 degrees max will get the job done.
Biff

Post by Biff »

I realise now from all the responses that this is not the right place to ask questions, but if anyone is interested, I bought the prop last week and after only five days at 28 degrees I have both habs and tabasco seeds germinating. Totally wrong time of year, but gives me hope for next season.
Tobias

Post by Tobias »

Looks good, but is it worth the money?

I bought a standards prop. for £8 GBP, and a heating mat for £20 GBP, from a reptile shop (30 * 40 cm) producing about 35C. To avoid cooking the content of the prop I have used lego peaces beneath the prop, so it's a 3 cm gap between them.

Works good I guess, have had seeds sprouting in 2 days of planting, on the other hand I have had seeds NOT germinating even in 40 days plus. I guess it's much up to the seeds and their viability.
ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliJez »

I reckon it's 3 years that Santa let me down, but finally he came up with the goods!

What can I say? It's luurvely! I haven't fired it up for a test drive yet but it's comprised of nice chunky well finished pieces that feel like quality. What I hadn't expected was the size. It's the double size one and I was expecting a double size Stewart Propagator kinda thing. Nah! More like double tennis court. The thing is HUGE! in a good way. It's big enough that I should have planned where it's going to go.

So I'm a happy fellow and from first impressions I can see why they cost what they do. More to follow.
Ben123
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Ben123 »

:lol: that happened to me too Jez! Totally did not expect it to be so big... and I only got the single :lol: it's a great bit of kit... I've used it at work to test equipment and have got a great graph of it holding it's temperature. I'll post it when I get back to work.
Ben123
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Ben123 »

Here's the graph I mentioned. Measured using an expensive temperature logger with thermocouples and readings logged every minute. The Vitopod maintained an average temperature of 30.4oC once it reached temperature. Impressive.

TheLargeOne

Post by TheLargeOne »

going for 2 of these for next season
the large Sankey ones i have have been good for the past 2 years but have started noticing cold spots and big temp swings
gonna make do for the next few weeks sowing but they will be binned after
ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliJez »

TheLargeOne wrote:going for 2 of these for next season
the large Sankey ones i have have been good for the past 2 years but have started noticing cold spots and big temp swings
gonna make do for the next few weeks sowing but they will be binned after
ebay :P
Ben

Post by Ben »

After years of drooling over other peoples' posts of giant vitopods... I have finally succumbed! A large double height prop is on it's way to me now :)

My superhots are already underway but the annuums put down yesterday can move into a lovely new home early next week. Should make the whole germination process much more straightforward - set it and forget it almost.... or at least here's hoping :)
Slyboy
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Slyboy »

I have been desperately holding off buying one of these for a few years but can feel my willpower slipping. Must be strong, must be strong.....

:)
benn_wood
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by benn_wood »

I actually bought one 3 weeks ago and I love it! Still trying to get to grips with it though, had mixed results so far but I don't know if that's because I've had it set too high (26 degrees) or if it's just the seeds that I've had bad luck with...
FireyPed
Seedling
Seedling

Post by FireyPed »

Hi

Nice to be back
Just had a Vitopod, single size but 3 x story. It looks supberb
I will be getting this underway early January - looking forward to it.
Wilf
Admin
Admin

Post by Wilf »

FireyPed wrote:Hi

Nice to be back
Just had a Vitopod, single size but 3 x story. It looks supberb
I will be getting this underway early January - looking forward to it.
You can't go wrong with them, we have a small and large one, the only thing after years of use was the larger model slightly warped so the base isn't flat and any excess of water ends up swamping one end and drying the other.

Looking to the top post we have had it since 2007.
lytton
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by lytton »

Probably gonna order one along with a quadgrow or two very soon. What is the optimum temp and humidity to aim for during the early days (germination up to two sets of leaves)?
Heefy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Heefy »

27-29 degrees and 100% humidity for germination and lower both once the majority have looped. Maybe 22 degrees and all the vents open, if not the lid off after true leaves form. Air flow then becomes important.

Each person does it slightly different.
GardenAngels
Seedling
Seedling

Post by GardenAngels »

Hey Maria from Greenhouse Sensation here lovely to hear your progress with the Vitopod. Would love to see some of your growing pics too. All the best for growing season 2015.
lytton
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by lytton »

Heefy wrote:27-29 degrees and 100% humidity for germination and lower both once the majority have looped. Maybe 22 degrees and all the vents open, if not the lid off after true leaves form. Air flow then becomes important.

Each person does it slightly different.
Ace!
Mustafa Chilli
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by Mustafa Chilli »

Hi Maria,

I will be purchasing a standard, double height one from you as soon as I can. Every time I get close to having the money together, the bloody wife buys something from QVC.
Chilli Keith
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by Chilli Keith »

I can see why these are a great investment. I've had issues with our propagator with both condensation drips and setting the temperature!
Maybe next year eh!
Mustafa Chilli
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by Mustafa Chilli »

I was just about to buy one, then noticed that they do not accept Paypal. Bummer.
Twisted1
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by Twisted1 »

So my birthday is in February and my lovely lady has said she wants to
buy me one of these. Very happy about that ordered it already it should
be here by the weekend. New pictures and new layout of the grow tent
next weekend then, as I got the deluxe one or double size one heated of
Course.

Twisted
Mustafa Chilli
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by Mustafa Chilli »

I finally got the money together, and purchased a standard, triple layer one from Greenhouse Sensation, and it arrived today. Well chuffed.

I am only using it as a single layer atm. I'll use the other layers as and when.
Heefy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Heefy »

Great stuff. You will be glad you did.