GS Vitopod Heated Propagator

Growing, lighting & nutrients etc

Moderators: chilliman64, Kathy, Wilf

Twisted1
Hot Head
Hot Head

Re: GS Vitopod Heated Propagator

Post by Twisted1 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:24 am

Ben123 wrote:The material yours seems to be made of it different to mine. Mine was bought about 2 years ago. Your seems to be a shiny plastic, mine is a mat plastic which seems thicker. Maybe they've changed manufacturing methods and are having some issues? Hope they get it sorted for you as that would bug the hell out of me :)
Hey Ben 123

Fun you should mention that, I had a friend over yesterday and he said the same thing. He said his base layer was thicker and dull/matt looking.

I hope this works out, I'm pretty gutted to be honest.

Twisted

Heefy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Heefy » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:17 pm

Yep, fingers crossed for you. They have always been excellent with me.

Twisted1
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Twisted1 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:38 pm

Great news

I will have a new one delivered on Monday 30th.
Let's hope this one last more than 6 weeks.

Thanks guys

Twisted

UPDATE it did not turn up see posts below.
Last edited by Twisted1 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heefy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Heefy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:22 am

Great news.

Chilli Keith
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Chilli Keith » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:40 pm

I've only just managed to empty our vitopod to take photos. There was a 3cm difference in height in various places on the base.

Sent photos yesterday and they are sending a new base out to me today having confirmed my address. Top class customer service :)

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliJez » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:11 pm

Hats off to GS. In my book, the measure of a company is not so much that something goes wrong because in the real world we have to allow for that. It's what they do to put it right that counts and so far it sounds like they're being responsible and decent.

My Vitopod is doing it's second season. It's shiny based. I'll do a check tomorrow. If mine is sound or not I'll let them know. I'm guessing that the more info they have the better.

Chilli Keith
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Chilli Keith » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:03 am

Absolutely Jeremy. I'm still happy :)

Twisted1
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Twisted1 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:20 pm

Well the measure of a good company is its after care.
so Greenhouse Sensation get a bloody ZERO.
Booked off today as I was told replacement was being posted Friday for delivery on Monday.
rang up at 9am waiting for email reply.
Gave up and rang them, it was not posted and i have to ask my Son not to go to Uni tomorrow so that someone is here to collect it.
RUBBISH

TWISTED
Last edited by Twisted1 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chilli Keith
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Chilli Keith » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:47 pm

That's really annoying!

It is one of the problems with marketing your product on a forum - Any product defects and business misgivings are aired on the forum too.

The cost of the unit is very high for a propagator, so you would expect A1 product and Service. There is something very wrong if the customer does not get this.

Maybe ask for some recompense?

snagglepuss
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by snagglepuss » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:59 pm

Twisted1 wrote:Well the measure of a good company is its after care.
so Greenhouse Sensation get a bloody ZERO.
Booked off today as I was told replacement was being posted Friday for delivery on Monday.
rang up at 9am waiting for email reply.
Gave up and rang them, it was not posted and 8 have to ask my Son not to go to Uni tomorrow so that someone is here to collect it.
RUBBISH

TWISTED
I'm surprised as I've never had a problem with them, give them a ring & speak to Emma she's the marketing director

Twisted1
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Twisted1 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:53 pm

I had an email from Emma

She was very apologetic and has sent me a set of FeederMat for Quadgrow x2 (pack of eight) and a set of Nutrigrow Plant Food.
It might sound ungrateful but I have meters of very high quality capillary matting and if they bothered to look they would have seen that last week I ordered a 4 pack of A and B Nutrigrow plant food.

So really a waste and no good to me, I'm a little gutted as I told Emma the concept of the quadgrow and Vitopod are great it's the lack of quality that let's the company down. Then the aftercare has been a waste of my time.

Not happy or empressed with Greenhouse Sensation after this purchase.

Twisted

Twisted1
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Twisted1 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:06 pm

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

So its a day late and i get home all excited and unpack my replacement Vitopod base.
Out of the box the base has a bowing three quarters of the way down.
I want to scream but that won't help, what should i do?

please forum members can you watch this video and give me some advice.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5uhvfjgw4bi4v ... 3.mp4?dl=0

Twisted

RossDargan
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by RossDargan » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:46 pm

I was wondering how I was going to convince my wife that I needed one of these... guess I'll wait until this issue is resolved!

Hope you get it sorted (well actually I hope it sorted for you by now!)

Twisted1
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Twisted1 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:24 pm

Still not sorted

the production team are looking into it....

Its a joke it really is..

Twisted1

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliJez » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:11 am

Twisted1 wrote:UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

So its a day late and i get home all excited and unpack my replacement Vitopod base.
Out of the box the base has a bowing three quarters of the way down.
I want to scream but that won't help, what should i do?

please forum members can you watch this video and give me some advice.

Twisted
Mark, I think your point is clearly and fairly expressed. I haven't responded before to this post so must have missed it. I apopogise.

Chilli Keith
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Chilli Keith » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:05 am

Bad news here - our second Vitopod is warped on what seems like one side only :( It's 3/4 full of plants so can't do a proper check at the moment.

I've not check the one at The Community House yet but will do tomorrow.

Very sad that an award winning bit of kit has a design/manufacture change and becomes un-award-winning bit of kit. I'm guessing next year I'll be filling it with sand in order to get an even temperature - or maybe GHS will get a new batch made? Will email them shortly.
RossDargan wrote:I was wondering how I was going to convince my wife that I needed one of these... guess I'll wait until this issue is resolved!

Hope you get it sorted (well actually I hope it sorted for you by now!)
For me the design of the top is great and necessary as it avoids water drips and humidity in the conservatory. Unfortunately the temperature is uneven when the base warps which is particularly noticeable with young seedlings which dry out quickly compared to others in different positions.

It's a lot of money to fork out while this problem persists, particularly when evenness of temperature is one of the reasons that I bought one and I recommended it to another project I work with.

Worth waiting I think - but also worth buying once fixed!

kizkiz

Post by kizkiz » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:48 am

I actually had this issue a couple of years ago
Used it fine the first year, then when I set it up for the second year it had the warped, bulging base.
Greenhouse sensations were great, as they agreed to look at it even though outside warranty period and fixed it free of charge as it was a manufacturing fault. No attempts to fob me off
It is in its second season since the fix and no issues

Twisted1
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Twisted1 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:22 pm

Sorry but this GS vitopod is a great design but the quality is shite.
they made out like this had never happen before.

i told them that we Chillis Galore Forum have had a few of these, and that is was not the first time this had happened.
still waiting for a response.
waste of time and money.

Twisted

Twisted1
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Twisted1 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:24 pm

here is an email i got

From: Charlotte Wood <Charlotte.Wood@greenhousesensation.co.uk>
Date: 23 April 2015 15:50:54 GMT+01:00
To: Mark Pritchard <datwistedone@gmail.com>
Subject: RE: My replacement has a fault please show this to the technical department
Hello Mark

Thank you for your patience.

I have spoken with our technical team regarding this and also looked at the bases myself.
Our vitopods are designed so they will heat up a lot quicker than other propagators, in order for this to happen the Heat mat is directly under the base were your plants sit.

I have looked at your base next to a few of the other bases we have in stock here and they did are have the small air pocket which yours has, although this is only small I do understand you are unhappy with this.
I have passed this on to both my manager and the manufacturing manager to look into.

As I understand you are not happy with the product I am happy to collect the remaining parts you have there from you and refund you for the vitopod.

I am sorry for the delay but I wanted to make sure I had all the information.
If you would like to arrange a collection please can you let me know and I will arrange this.

Kind regards
Charlotte
Customer Service
Greenhouse Sensation

lets see if you spot what i spotted.

I have looked at your base next to a few of the other bases we have in stock here and they did are have the small air pocket which yours has, although this is only small I do understand you are unhappy with this.

So i asked this is a fault and are you still going to sell them?

Am i happy with the product?

NO

Do a want a fully working great bit of KIT?

YES

Why is this so hard?????

Answers please.....

Twisted

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliJez » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:25 pm

Twisted1 wrote: Why is this so hard?????

Answers please.....
Twisted
It seems from Charlotte's reply that the problem you have isn't unique. It may be that they have changed supplier or lowered the spec. I'd suggest that you go back to her pointing out that you bought the thing because of the recommendation of vitopod owners who haven't experienced this flaw and invite her to tell you what has changed. That all the bases they have are bouncy surely means that there will be a number of dissatisfied consumers in the future.

You could ask if they plan on continuing with their current supplier or spec. and that you'd look forward to buying from them in the future if the flaw is corrected in future stock.

This is speculation based on Charlotte's response.

I'd say again that Greenhouse Sensation has had a good reputation for quality and I will be so pleased if the company continues to justify this high regard.

Wilf
Admin
Admin

Post by Wilf » Wed May 27, 2015 4:54 pm

We have been using them for many years and unfortunately the larger size does warp, our early one has, although this is a fault I have found it makes no difference to the unit so continue to use it, the only problem you will have is the excess water from condensation and overwatering collects in the warped end or corner, but this can be mopped up with a jcloth as you don't want seed plugs sitting in water anyway. The smaller vitopod is less prone to warping and I use that to start off most of my seeds as a lesser area to heat is also a energy saving as well, plus I sit it on a duvet and wrap around to keep heat in, I move up to the bigger ones when potting on and weather is still too cold. Tilting them also helps water collect at one end so all the seeds to not get super saturated and rot before germination.

My older one is the matt black plastic which goes back to 2007 and still works fine although a bit warped

Chilli Keith
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Chilli Keith » Wed May 27, 2015 11:27 pm

Wilf wrote:We have been using them for many years and unfortunately the larger size does warp, our early one has, although this is a fault I have found it makes no difference to the unit so continue to use it, the only problem you will have is the excess water from condensation and overwatering collects in the warped end or corner, but this can be mopped up with a jcloth as you don't want seed plugs sitting in water anyway. The smaller vitopod is less prone to warping and I use that to start off most of my seeds as a lesser area to heat is also a energy saving as well, plus I sit it on a duvet and wrap around to keep heat in, I move up to the bigger ones when potting on and weather is still too cold. Tilting them also helps water collect at one end so all the seeds to not get super saturated and rot before germination.

My older one is the matt black plastic which goes back to 2007 and still works fine although a bit warped
Interesting - thanks Wilf.

I did notice hot spots on our vitopod - which ever young seedling was is in one of two spots would wilt through heat.
I'm going to experiment by filling with sand next season - to see how stable and even a temperature it will maintain

Twisted1
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by Twisted1 » Thu May 28, 2015 7:41 am

So from what a gather it's okay that a product that cost £160 doesn't last 6 weeks without warping and not suitable for use?

I have had 5 replacements one of which was tested by the production team( Which wasp warped when it got here) , all of them had warping before they were put in use.
This is not a good product and there are more people that have had this situation.

I have 4 X quadgrows which i think are amazing and i have no problem with, so i'm not hating on GS. I just think my post was fair and true by letting users know that this Vitopod deluxe is being sold with a defect and they know all about it.
I have spoken to Emma, maria and Charlotte on many occasions and i have finally returned my Deluxe and got 2 small ones instead. I wish i had never bought the Vitopod, the only reason i did was because members on here said they were the Rolls Royce of Propagators. It's no where near a Rolls Royce.

Watch the videos for proof, I have no reason to lie.

This was the 2nd replacement base.

This was the tested base and the 5th replacement.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6eo9qzvmaxy1l ... 5.MP4?dl=0

Twisted1

Wilf
Admin
Admin

Post by Wilf » Thu May 28, 2015 12:12 pm

I am going to lock this thread now as I feel that the point has been made enough and the issue has to be resolved between you and the company.

We have 2 large vitopds and 1 small one, all have some warping, which is going to happen with heat and large areas of plastic, but they still work and they are all we have used over the last 8 years.

They are not cheap so its up to you to decide whether to go with the problems which are well highlighted here now, or choose another companies products.