Wilma 4 Pot System

Growing, lighting & nutrients etc

Moderators: chilliman64, Ben123, Kathy, Wilf

Wilf
Admin
Admin

Wilma 4 Pot System

Post by Wilf » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:40 pm

We first tried this for our growing diary in 2007 and are now using again this year 2008 as we had good success with it. Probably the best of the Capsicums to use in this system are the Chinense as they do not grow so vigorously as the annums and can be managed more easily as the 4 plants do grow quite closely together. Using a small pump, 4 drippers supply nutrients to the plants roots which were planted in clay pebbles. Dripping every 15 minutes in the hour from a timer seem to be adequate. The plants seemed healthier and had more fruit on than the same strain grown in 4 litre pots using soil. The Wilma 4 Pot System can be used with either organic growing media and fertlisers, or with clay pebbles. Measures 69cm long by 58cm wide, the height to the top of the pots in situ is approx 43cm. Each pot holds 11 litres of growing media, the nutrient tank holds 30 litres when full.
http://www.greenshorticulture.co.uk

mattydeakin

Re: Wilma 4 Pot System

Post by mattydeakin » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:51 pm

Thanks for the review wilf! Im definately buying one of these systems before xmas, coupled with 200w cfls (both blue and red) Think im going to use the clay pebble growing medium rather than soil however. I take it if im using clay pebbles it would be best to use rockwool cubes or rockwool slab for germination? Would root riot cubes work?

Wilf
Admin
Admin

Post by Wilf » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:21 pm

I started of ours in Jiffy pellets this year then popped these into 3 inch rockwool cubes as we were also growing for a NFT system as well, you probably don't need to plant them on for use in the Wilma as using clay pebbles the plant is quite supported, but they definately need more help if plonked on an NFT table. Always make sure a good root system is showing before planting on.

I have even decided to change from a soil grown plant to put into it, just wash off as much soil as you can leaving a nice clean root system, and cover with clay pebbles, plant took off straight away.

We have some Fleximix cubes to try next time, but either Root Riot cubes or Jiffy pellets give you a good start.

mattydeakin

Post by mattydeakin » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:41 pm

Sounds like a plan! I cant wait to start, im going to grow bhut jolokia and 7 pods in it! :evil:

Wilf
Admin
Admin

Post by Wilf » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:04 pm

Thats what weve got in ours this year plus trinidad scorp, have some small pods so will post pics soon on diary

ChilliDave72

Post by ChilliDave72 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:00 am

tried to upload photo :cry: no joy sorry.
I have had mine going for 6 weeks now and I'm happy :lol: left it for 3 wks over christmas unattended!
Came back and wow I'm a happy man.
I have posted the phots on website.
http://www.cliftonchilliclub.moonfruit. ... 4541329546 they are on the last few pages.

Dave 8)