Pass The Parcel 10

Information & swaps

Moderators: Ben123, chilliman64, Wilf, Kathy

Heefy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Pass The Parcel 10

Post by Heefy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:39 pm

The year has rolled around quickly and it's time to start planning next years grow.

Now, Pass The Parcel is in it's 10th year and the parcel will soon be making it's way around the UK again.

If you want to participate please read and make sure you understand the rules below, then post in the thread remembering to state your location, within the U.K.

Again this year, there is no european leg as rising postage costs have made it prohibitive. The parcel can get quite large so any non-UK members will probably get more benefit from the seed bank due to the smaller number of seeds involved.

The aim is to get the parcel going in September sometime. This allows time for ripening and seed saving from this year's crop and at the same time makes sure it's got round everybody by the start of the new season.

We may start a few week later than normal, due to the poor weather this year and slower ripening times.

Heefy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Pass The Parcel 10

Post by Heefy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:43 pm

RULES

1. The parcel only goes to UK members due to postage costs, time and issues with overseas customs.

2. Please post the parcel recorded so you get a tracking number (the tracking number should be passed to the receiver by PM so they can check where it is)

3. ONLY CHILLI SEEDS, and think of the people after you in the list and only take what you need then add your spare seeds clearly labelled. If your seeds that you put in are true/pure please mark them as such and mark the year of collection (New rule)

4. Please PM the next 2 people in front of you in the list when it's nearly your turn, so that if the next person doesn't reply, you have an address to send it on too (anyone that misses their turn will not miss out but will be put to the bottom of the list)

5. THIS IS A FUN RULE, EVERYONE MUST TAKE SOME SEEDS FROM THE MYSTERY BAG (and grow them) and any seeds that you find lying around the bottom of the parcel must be added to the mystery bag.

6. The last person on the list sends the parcel back to the first person (me) then we can sort out round 11.

7. The parcel will start moving in October/November.

8. ****IMPORTANT****Please post in the thread when you receive the parcel and again when you send it on, then others have an idea where it's at and this helps a quick turn around, we are looking for within reason for the parcel to be with each person only a couple of days before moving it on to the next.

9. The first 50 'established' members to respond will make the list. - I say 'established' because, as I explained earlier, I don't want this to be used as a way of just getting seeds..... this is a community activity! Therefore, please don't ask to join in if you are a brand new member and have only made a small number of insignificant posts. I will be checking post numbers and content - so DON'T post a pile of crud on the boards in order to get your post count up - I'm no fool.
We'll say 50 posts as a guide, with room for discretion; if you've been around for a while, but just don't say much - then PM me and I'll consider it.

10. Seeds should be labelled with the name of the variety and the year of the seeds. If you don't know the year put the year in which you're adding them to the parcel. This date is important for ensuring that very old seeds can be removed from the parcel in later rounds.

If you want on the list please make sure you have read the rules, then a post in the thread asking to be added (and state your location please, no location no on the list!)

I must stress that consideration needs to be given once you have received the parcel to those that are waiting - please make your choices and get it moving as swiftly as possible. Anyone found to be seriously dragging their heels will not be considered for future rounds.

11. If there is already 100 plus seed of a variety, don't bother to add any more. We tend to get inundated with the more common varieties.
Last edited by Heefy on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heefy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Pass The Parcel 10

Post by Heefy » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:12 am

The list is as follows:

Trident
Spyder
Rosh
Last edited by Heefy on Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

spyder
Hot Head
Hot Head

Re: Pass The Parcel 10

Post by spyder » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:16 am

I'd love to take part again but just a heads up I'm out of the country for the first 2 weeks of October.

Staffordshire.

Heefy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Heefy » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:43 pm

MOD - can we sticky this thread and undo last years please. Make it easier to gauge interest.

Any more takers please?

====================

mod edit: stickied and unstickied as requested | CM64

Rosh
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by Rosh » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:12 pm

I'd like to sign up, if it isn't too late, but I think Im still slightly shy of 50 posts so I don't mind if you'd rather see how I overwinter as a member and sign me up next year! :)

Heefy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Heefy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:43 pm

Rosh wrote:I'd like to sign up, if it isn't too late, but I think Im still slightly shy of 50 posts so I don't mind if you'd rather see how I overwinter as a member and sign me up next year! :)
Ok matey.

Heefy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Heefy » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:02 pm

Guys, this just doesn't seem worth the cost of posting the parcel out. From previous years, I remember it was anything but cheap, that's why Shep would try and thin it down so much.

I have left it as long as I can, in case we had any more takers, or a last minute rush. Lol.

Any one wanting seeds can obviously give me a shout, via PM and I will be all to pleased, to have a dig about in the PTP for you.

PTP can, be incorporated into the Seedbank, if no one objects.

Sorry.

spyder
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by spyder » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:24 pm

Sounds fair enough the parcel was quite chunky. I'll be cutting back next year so there maybe 1 or 2 varieties I'd like to add, I'll have a look and hit you up when I've decided.

Cheers.

JezzerBell
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by JezzerBell » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:29 pm

End of an era for sure. Someone once told me that the only constant in life is change and I for one have really appreciated the different approach that the Seedbank has introduced. My sincere thanks to all those involved both past and present in the PTP and Seedbank initiatives.

trident
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by trident » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:10 pm

Well said Jez and my apologies for only catching this thread now ... the concept of the seed train allowed those to gain seed that they couldn't/ didn't have whilst replacing seed with what they have grown. Heefy's Seedbank has allowed all to donate/ receive which has obviously moved the seed train into the chilli seed future ... ten years is a milestone that's the only reason I was willing to get involved ... to be honest I would have probably just moved the parcel on ... what is good about this forum is that simply by asking for a seed variety there are plenty of forum members only too happy to accommodate ... I ask myself many times what am I ... am I a seed collector like a person who collects stamps ... have I a dedicated wooden box full of seed I will probably never sow .. the simple answer is yes ... oddly I can say to myself "I have that seed" when a picture appears ... shame to see the train stop but it was all about the ride not the destination

Heefy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Heefy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:12 pm

Guys. I am gutted it won't make year 10. I feel partly responsible, but don't know what to do. I will however make every effort to get more and more strains into the Seedbank. Old stuff gets routinely binned and replaced. I want the quantities involved to grow as well. Here is what I collected this year to be split between my personal seeds and the bank. Image

MarkS
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by MarkS » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:26 pm

is it too late to signup for Santas parcel??

i am cheshire based

Heefy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Heefy » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:44 pm

MarkS wrote:is it too late to signup for Santas parcel??

i am cheshire based
Mark. You are a whole year late. It's not running this year. If you have a list of what you are looking for PM me and I will cobble together what I can for you.

Hope this helps.

MarkS
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by MarkS » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:57 pm

there's nowt like looking at the dates of the posts

teach me a lesson for not looking and reading properly

to use the words from a famous comedy show......"what a plonker!!"

basilcat

Post by basilcat » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:10 pm

Can I join the "Plonker" queue for a few seeds please.