ChilliJez Aquaponic Mission

Growing plants using nutrient solutions, without soil.

Moderators: Ben123, chilliman64, Wilf, Kathy

Heefy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Re: ChilliJez Aquaponic Mission

Post by Heefy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:33 pm

Nice explanation. Made it a bit easier to understand your witchcraft! Lol. I really hope this pumps out the results for you. Lots of fail safe systems seems like a good idea.

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliJez » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:13 pm

First harvest of the season from my grow bed; a dozen or so tulips! Hey! I'm a tart! I'll grow anything! :lol:

Image2017-02-27_06-47-20 by J Wood, on Flickr

Masquerading as a poppy.

Spuds have "found the wick" and are motoring. When I did my mods and raised the gravel I lifted the other plants but left the potatoes at the same depth; the clay pebble equivalent of earthing up I guess. Well they're all through so I guess everyone has put on 6" or 8" in a week. Early days.

A couple of years back I spent a good while raking loads of moss out of a lawn, and I mean loads. Most went to recycling but I filled about 20 bin liners and put seed potatoes in. They grew well and I got about 3kg from each bag. The best bit was that I didn't have to dig up to harvest. A rummage amongst the moss for enough for dinner and leave the plant to continue. Well I'm hoping to do the same with these. Being inside, I hope I avoid blight for longer which is what has put an end to my potato growing in the past.

Once the plants are away, I'll up the temperature in the tank. I've made a note to take home a maxijet pump to double the water exchange and increase redundancy. Once that happens I'll have warmer fish without warmer growbed. At the moment the fish have been held at around 18C-21C. The fish eat and so excrete more as they get warmer so this will increase nutrient levels for the plants.

From the early days of pump flow rates and stocking densities and fish tank to grow bed ratios, this has become just my little ecosystem to conserve. Heaters have been able to maintain temps constantly over winter, the water is clear and the fish are happy. TBH I haven't been testing in a long time and consciously so. When water temps go up I'll do testing to monitor the change and if I feel a need to boost nitrogen it'll be human derived in super dilute quantities.

Tulips are harvested and daffs soon to be. These'll be set right to the edge of the bed for the rest of the season. I'm going to have spuds coming up everywhere. Around the back edge I plan on 3 tomatoes, grown up the wall and over the roof, and otherwise, 5 chilli plants and probably some chard.

\more to follow. :P

Mitzi
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Mitzi » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:31 am

ChilliJez wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:13 pm
First harvest of the season from my grow bed; a dozen or so tulips! Hey! I'm a tart! I'll grow anything! :lol:
Gorgeous!
if I feel a need to boost nitrogen it'll be human derived in super dilute quantities.
Does this mean what I think it does? :shock:

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliJez » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:28 pm

Mitzi wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:31 am
if I feel a need to boost nitrogen it'll be human derived in super dilute quantities.
Does this mean what I think it does? :shock:
Might do. :oops:
http://www.nwedible.com/how-to-use-pee-in-your-garden/

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliJez » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:30 pm

Well I thought I was doing the right thing. :roll:

The Bell syphon that I put in a week or 2 ago was working fine. Was.

I brought (from work) another maxijet pump as I do need to build in some redundancy. At the moment, if the pump should fail I'd be stuffed. Well first thing I did was to swap in the new pump to the existing system. The outlet stub of the new pump is a whisker smaller diameter so just pushed off the delivery pipe. No problem there; it can be worked around.

I swapped the original back in and now the throughput was greater. Threatened by the newcomer? Hmm! Anyway, this greater flow has meant that the bell syphon is no longer working. It continues to syphon .

I've been doing this for 3 years now so I must want these challenges, but now? Really?! :roll:

Mitzi
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Mitzi » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:54 pm

Can I recommend pop bottle self-watering pots instead? :lol: You wouldn't have all these problems.

Heefy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Heefy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:05 pm

Aquaponics is, as you well know, still very much in its commercial infancy. Getting a choice of good quality components, that are assured of working with each other must be a pain. Sounds like you are going through an extended trail and error phase, with each new addition.

Fingers crossed for you, that you get it rock solid soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliJez » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:15 pm

Heefy wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:05 pm
Aquaponics is, as you well know, still very much in its commercial infancy. Getting a choice of good quality components, that are assured of working with each other must be a pain. Sounds like you are going through an extended trail and error phase, with each new addition.

Fingers crossed for you, that you get it rock solid soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kind words, Heefy. It may have been rock solid a while ago if I hadn't kept moving the goalposts! Oh and if it was stable for too long I'd need to tinker and change stuff. :lol:

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliJez » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:22 pm

Mitzi wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:54 pm
Can I recommend pop bottle self-watering pots instead? :lol: You wouldn't have all these problems.
You speak wise words. However...

... you mistake my motives. I'm not seeking to grow chillies; I'm cultivating bacteria, worms and anxiety. Fish and plants are merely eye candy. 8)

Mitzi
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Mitzi » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:17 pm

Oh, I see. Yes, I totally misunderstood. :lol:

Personally, I'm cultivating algae. Maybe a tiny fish or two would fit in the pop bottle reservoir? Might be a problem in hot weather when it dries out, though.

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliJez » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:54 pm

Mitzi wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:17 pm

Personally, I'm cultivating algae. Maybe a tiny fish or two would fit in the pop bottle reservoir? Might be a problem in hot weather when it dries out, though.
Amano Shrimp! They keep your reservoir clean and come chilli harvest time you just shake them out into the stir fry. :lol:

fishmantom
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by fishmantom » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:40 pm

ChilliJez wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:54 pm
Mitzi wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:17 pm

Amano Shrimp! They keep your reservoir clean and come chilli harvest time you just shake them out into the stir fry. :lol:
I have cherry shrimp living in the aquaponic pot above my aquarium among the roots, they seem to get on well there an keep the algae and other solid waste from building up. not sure you would get much eating with them though there even smaller than Amano's (about 1.5cm for those uninitiated in the fish world :roll: )

Keep missing this thread, and must remember. all looks amazing, other than the usual things with aquarium/pond systems. i am dealing with these sort of problems at work all the time :roll: , pumps stopping, overflows blocking, We only flood the shop every now then :lol: . It seems like when ever you touch one thing it starts a chain and you suddenly have another load of other things needing your attention. you will settle it down again I'm sure.

Let me know if/when and what size you need that aquarium, and I will see what i have.

Happy growing :mrgreen: and Happy fishkeeping! :mrgreen:

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliJez » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:53 pm

Well, it's come to an end. :cry:

We have a house move next summer (again) but this time a couple of hundred miles. It'll be mid summer so no chance to establish a grow, either before or after the move. No chance, either to move fish and clay pebbles. It's been a labour to keep fish and plants healthy over winter so I may as well cull at the end of autumn.

On top of that I've had little time to look after things and stay on top of pests. I'm away on holiday for a time and no one to look after them. There didn't seem much point in risking the fish or some accident while we're away and no particular reason to keep it going per se so, this morning I killed the fish. For the next few days I'll leave it to recirculate as it has up to now. There'll still be fish waste in the system for some while.

At some point in the future, I'll put a bell syphon into the growbed and send water to it directly. Then I can remove the remove the fishtank. I'll probably run it for the rest of the summer on ammonia as the bacterial population is there to process it. If I do end up using pesticide (which would kill the bacteria) then I'd switch over to hydro nutes.

Well it's been running for about 3 1/2 years and I only lost 1 adult fish in that time and it ended up being a pretty stable and remarkably resilient ecosystem that taught me a lot. I will plan on doing it again but the earliest that could happen would be in spring of 2019.

Heefy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Heefy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:16 pm

That's a real shame matey, but you don't have much choice. Sad times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitzi
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Mitzi » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:52 pm

Sorry to read that.

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliJez » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:39 am

Here's 3 hours of aquaponic info, links copied from a post by JUR-Z Devil over on THP. Thanks man!

http://123movies.net/watch/zGeMmzGb-aqu ... -easy.html
http://123movies.net/watch/PGpomqx3-aqu ... crets.html

Steven
Seedling
Seedling

Post by Steven » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:03 pm

The links are dodgy..not safe.

The guy in the video is a well known hydroponics man. He runs an expensive course over in Australia.

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliJez » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:52 am

Steven wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:03 pm
The links are dodgy..not safe.

The guy in the video is a well known hydroponics man. He runs an expensive course over in Australia.
The links have worked for me without issue though I use a flavour of Linux so may be less vulnerable to malware.

Murray Hallam is the guy and he's an aquaponics evangelist, willing to share a lot of useful information for free, as well as selling equipment and education.

anotrm

Post by anotrm » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:02 am