Growing under lights

Growin to Harvesting

Moderators: Kathy, chilliman64, Wilf

Funes

Re: Growing under lights

Post by Funes »

I've had thai dragon fruit quite nicely under a 125w envirolite, spent its full life under there. Takes about 10 weeks for the fruit to ripen though.
Dorkasaurus

Post by Dorkasaurus »

You can grow a plant (and fruit) under 150w HID lamp, but probably not more than 2 or 3 plants (and a single plant is probably best). 2x2 (feet) is about maximum coverage for 150w bulb with a decent reflector. They generate a lot of heat so for seedlings it's best to keep your distance and once the plant develops a bit you can move the light a little closer. (don't worry you'll know how close is too close when plant starts burning) MH is better for vegetative growth and HPS is better for flowering but I've successfully grown from seed to finish using only HPS. As far as know flowering (in peppers) isn't determined by light cycle but rather it is determined by the age of the plant...I leave mine on 18 hours a day but anything over 12 would probably be ok.
Toleman

Post by Toleman »

Due to the amount of lights and heat - Has anybody had a knock on the door from the police, suspecting your growing something else?

Chris
Funes

Post by Funes »

Unless you're half filling the house or something you're not going to get noticed by anyone - a couple of 150w bulbs is far cry from an entire hemp factory with kilowatts of lighting.
mattfuzzy

Post by mattfuzzy »

hah yeah as funes said, unless you got kilowatts of lighting its unlikely, the copper choppers been over my area again (prob due to the amount of attic factorys around here) the infrared camera they use (copper choppers/surveying choppers and the like) picks up mass amounts of heat, so if next door dont use their attic the roof will be blue or very light yellow at most, if you have a few x 1000watt lights up there it will generate alot of heat (400w can heat my bedroom in around 4 hours when i was using it for seedlings) so the camera will pick up the heat on the roof tiles and itll show up anything from a strong yellowish red to a deep red.
saw a website on google a few months ago that explained this with pictures the company was a surveying company, they have to report to police when they find something like this also.

and to solve this problem i hear alot of attic growers use a grow room, ie: budbox/greenroom and many others.
this contains the heat in the grow room better without heating the attic/attic roof up so much, alot of people also use mdf wood or any old wood to build grow rooms too.
-matt
Toleman

Re:

Post by Toleman »

[quote="Ralph_Hilton"]25 watts/sq. ft. seems quite adequate. The effectiveness of hand watering vs. drip feed has a additional factor of oxygenization. If the water is lacking oxygen then I'd expect poorer results with hand watering.[/quote]

Does that mean watering with a spray bottle oposed to a watering can, better?
lee2008

Post by lee2008 »

Interesting topic,

just keeping the thread alive!
NickK

Post by NickK »

Just a question about mixing bulbs.

Is it better to run one bulb with the complete spectrum or two half power bulbs (one blue and one red)?

I know they need the blue regardless for energy, the red for wavelengths for fruiting. Currently the seedlings are under blue 465nm light which they seem to enjoy but I'm looking into bigger lighting for the next stage of their development.
Stormin

Post by Stormin »

http://i33.tinypic.com/swe655.jpg

I am using a 14 watt LED panel and two 20 watt CFL's. They seem to be doing OK. But I do place them in the window for a couple of hours of afternoon light.
tobrien1

Post by tobrien1 »

Would anyone rate one of these? Just for getting seedlings started.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/125w-Dual-Spectru ... 911.c0.m14
dew-b

Re:

Post by dew-b »

[quote="daveinwearside"]Thats that plan flawed :(

But I'm still going to give it a bash (just out of interest)

If I have poor results then I'll change to the 8-8 cycle.

thanks for your input.

Dave[/quote] for the vegiteve groth use a 18/6 light cycle. that is 18 hours on with 6 hours of darkness. when you want them to flower change the cycle to 12/12. i have my sorrono under a 125w cfl bulb.
dew-b

Post by dew-b »

[quote="Toleman"]Due to the amount of lights and heat - Has anybody had a knock on the door from the police, suspecting your growing something else? even if they think your growing pot. they will look pretty silly with a serch warrent finding only legal chile plants. i have been growing for a few years under lights because all my windows face north.

Chris[/quote]
benn_wood
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by benn_wood »

Hi all,

I am using a heated propagator and I have created a temporary lightbox aswell. When I'm using the lights, should I remove the lid from the propagator?

Thanks
Benn
benn_wood
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by benn_wood »

Thanks Chugo. Now all I need is a thermometer.... ;-)
Roestigraben
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by Roestigraben »

Apologies if it's been asked elsewhere, but has anyone done a guestimate on how much extra per pod growing under lights is likely to cost (ignoring the cost to buy the kit in the first place)?
I don't want to seem like a skinflint, but if I want to go down this route, then I need to present a detailed business case to Mrs Roesti (with Excel charts if possible).
TimEdwards

Post by TimEdwards »

Check your latest elec bill and work it out. It will give you unit prices per watt which you can work out depending on the wattage of your lights.
hubble

Post by hubble »

I use 18/6 photoperiod under a 125 watts eco bulb & hood while my seedlings get braught on under a 35 watt strip light. I nip the first flowers that develop on the 'Y' I've read by several pepper growers that doing this promotes the vegetative hormones of the plant. I've been applying this technique with 2 Cayennes which are 40cm tall in comparison to the others at 28cm at 8 weeks (told you I was late lol)

Is 6 hours dark enough for them? They seem to be coming on a treat at a decent rate
Palendrone
Seedling
Seedling

Post by Palendrone »

I used 18/6 this year and had no trouble or stress to the plants, might even consider going for 19/5 next year.
Mustafa Chilli
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by Mustafa Chilli »

I know this is an old thread, but no-one has mentioned using a SAD therapy lamp (10,000 lux)
I bought one about a month ago and managed to get one of the plants to start producing flower heads.

I bought mine from Maplins for £49.99 and then saw a second hand one on ebay for a tenner. So I bought it, and returned the other back to Maplins. Same heat as a T5 - which is hardly anything. Another plant has started to produce flower heads.

I've put it away for now as I've purchased a 4xT5 lamp, along with a Rootit 2Ft Light & Stand. I've swapped the single T5 light that came with the stand with the 4xT5 and use the single T5 over a propagator of seedlings.
Heefy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Growing under lights

Post by Heefy »

Sounds like a plan.
Mustafa Chilli
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by Mustafa Chilli »

I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised by the therapy lamp. This is the one I originally purchased... http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/sad-light-box-a20hw but do shop around as they can be found £5 or more cheaper. If I had more space, I'd use it along with the other 2.
Heefy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Growing under lights

Post by Heefy »

I just checked out the link you posted and watched the video. Looking at the amount of light reflecting off the presenters face, those lights would appear to be brighter than expected. I was also surprised by the size of it.

I would image that to be a very reasonable grow lamp. Especially off eBay and just for a few quid! Bargain.

Look forward to seeing pics of it in action.
Mustafa Chilli
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by Mustafa Chilli »

The one from ebay was identical to the Maplins one, but a different make. I got it for a tenner because it was 2nd hand (used once apparently). Yes, it is bright... it is supposed to be as they are SAD lights.

I've put it away since I am now using the T5's. I will at some point try and set it up again. Originally, I had 2 cereal boxes either side of the propagator and laid it face down on top of them.
Mustafa Chilli
Chilli Head
Chilli Head

Post by Mustafa Chilli »

I've finally found the lead to the wife's laptop, as well as the lead for my camera.

This is the therapy lamp above a heated propagator.
http://imageshack.com/a/img631/5048/h1EwkH.jpg

Another view of it
http://imageshack.com/a/img661/5920/BxlmfW.jpg

These are the seedlings underneath.
http://imageshack.com/a/img911/1123/ltaD8R.jpg

This is the T5 over an extremely old sankey. That has now been replaced with a Vitopod.
http://imageshack.com/a/img901/2773/yulHzx.jpg
ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliJez »

Not sure what the first 3 show but that last image looks like a very tidy set up. I'll watch with interest.