Trying out the Kratky Method

Growing plants using nutrient solutions, without soil.

Moderators: chilliman64, Ben123, Kathy, Wilf

horsebones
Hot Head
Hot Head

Trying out the Kratky Method

Post by horsebones » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:47 am

I started this really late in the season, but if anyone is interested...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5fjh9TIh5A

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Re: Trying out the Kratky Method

Post by ChilliJez » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:04 am

Gret project, Horsebones. I'm very interested in your outcomes.

I understand that Kratky is deemed more suitable for short season crops like salads. I wonder if it would work better for longer season plants like chillies in a larger diameter container that would have the water level fall at a slower rate? I haven't seen any discussion of this.

Anyway, I'm watching! :P

horsebones
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by horsebones » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:03 am

ChilliJez wrote:I understand that Kratky is deemed more suitable for short season crops like salads. I wonder if it would work better for longer season plants like chillies in a larger diameter container that would have the water level fall at a slower rate? I haven't seen any discussion of this.
Larger containers for longer season crops is what this blogger uses https://buckethydroponics.com/ It's a good resource as they document everything really thoroughly. There is also a section on peppers ;) One of the main things you have to watch with Kratky is pH.

Since I'm doing indoor, I'm trying something a bit smaller.

ChilliJez
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by ChilliJez » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:23 am

horsebones wrote:
ChilliJez wrote:I understand that Kratky is deemed more suitable for short season crops like salads. I wonder if it would work better for longer season plants like chillies in a larger diameter container that would have the water level fall at a slower rate? I haven't seen any discussion of this.
Larger containers for longer season crops is what this blogger uses https://buckethydroponics.com/ It's a good resource as they document everything really thoroughly. There is also a section on peppers ;) One of the main things you have to watch with Kratky is pH.

Since I'm doing indoor, I'm trying something a bit smaller.
Thanks for the link Horsebones. That certainly seems worth a good read. :P

Heefy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Heefy » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:56 am

Had a good read, this morning. Great source of info and learned a bit too.

horsebones
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by horsebones » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:52 pm

Just wanted to give a quick update...

So this didn't fair well outside. It was just too windy for those small net pots and they would get loose and tip the plant over. However I did have a tomato in one of the big net pots and that seems to be sturdier (well it is also tied up a bit too. I guess that helps).

I brought them in, but the temperature on the windowsill is too much for them and they wilted like crazy. I pretty much had to draw the net curtains to shade them in direct sunlight.

I finally decided to stick them in the cupboard where they are getting some nice light without the heat. In just a couple of weeks, the root space seems to have responded by getting all furry, and there are plenty of flowers appearing on the Aji Verde (including one chilli 8) )

horsebones
Hot Head
Hot Head

Post by horsebones » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:01 pm

So the experiment went ok considering I wasn't checking the pH. The plants looked fairly healthy, and the roots looked fine (no sign of rot), except the habanero didn't really get those fuzzy white side hairs.

Out of the 4 varieties, Aji verde did the best; pepperdew did ok too, but are being slow to ripen; ugandan habenero didn't really workout, but this is a dwarf variety I think, so it was being shaded by the other plants; and the rocotto looked promising, but then dropped all of its flowers.

I'll perhaps try it again, but am going to use the space for a soil grow next.

Very modest Aji Verde harvest: Image

Rocotto roots: Image

Heefy
Chilli Guru
Chilli Guru

Post by Heefy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:58 pm

Good roots mate